Options

Camera wishlist

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited August 2, 2009 in Cameras
While I'm very happy with my Xsi, I know that I will want a 2nd body within the next year or so, which got me thinking about what I'd really like in a camera. Alas, nothing in the current Canon lineup matches what I think I"ll want so unless the rumoured 60D/7d/whatever-might-be-coming fits the bill I can see I'll have to compromise, but since it's quiet around here and I'm stuck at home this afternoon, I'm indulging in a bit of Let's Pretend:
  • smallish form factor and lightweight like the Xsi, but balanced like a 5d
  • quieter shutter
  • crop sensor (so I can continue to use my Tamron 17-50 :D). I admit it - I DO love the FF shots I see from 5d's, but I also love the added reach that shooting on a cop sensor gives me. So not sure about this one, but fwiw...
  • extended ISO, with better noise control than the xsi
  • smaller area spot meter
  • NO VIDEO (I don't want it, and it bugs me that most new dslr's are coming with it - there are other things I'd much rather have for the money/space)
  • no significant increase in pixel count (we're good at ~13, really we are! Lower noise trumps more pixels for me)
  • built-in flash commander - this would be a WONDERFUL addition to the Canon lineup, IMO. Sure, a lot of STE2's would hit the used market (including mine, I suspect), but it's a great feature which Nikon offers, and Canon should jump in on that one.
  • smaller area spot meter
  • body IS (yeah, I know - not a chance of that ever happening in a Canon, but since this is a wishlist and totally unrealistic... :giggle)
  • to my surprise, I'm really liking shooting on SD instead of CF; I've actually had fewer problems with SD cards than CF in the past. So, SD cards for future models (or maybe even a slot that takes both?)
  • microfocusing adjustment in any future models
  • auto ISO (nice, but not a dealbreaker)
  • changeable focusing screen a la 5d
Oh, and if it can do the dishes, fold laundry and also act as a tuning fork and metronome then that would be really, REALLY good :lol4

That's my wishlist - what's yours?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited July 18, 2009
    Video is easy to ignore so I wouldn't let it be a purchase point (or not).

Form factor is something you tend to get used to. I am throughly infatuated with the mid-size camera bodies, along with their mid-sized batteries. I don't have vertical/battery grips on my mid-sized bodies and I honestly don't miss the vertical button or second battery because there is enough real estate on the body as well as sufficient run time in a single battery.

High ISO is best on the larger format cameras. Unfortunately it does look like all the major players are playing the "megapixel wars" and it looks like the trend will continue. Pixel binning will also continue in the form of reduced pixel JPG and reduced pixel RAW images. Per pixel noise will likely increase until the next big improvement (probably a couple years away.) The good news is that per-print-size quality will at least remain the same and more pixels will make for smoother tonality and finer edges in low ISOs.

Flash commander mode on the camera is possible unless patents would interfere.

No real chance for chip based IS I'm afraid. Both Canon and Nikon are fully committed to lens based IS. Improved "auto ISO" will hopefully improve. Microfocus will continue to be a feature and eventually trickle down to the lower level cameras as well (although probably not the same system as in the "big" cameras.)

I don't know that replaceable screens make much sense for the smaller format cameras. I use live view for fine focus and it's a lot more accurate. I think that AF systems will continue to improve and make using the viewfinder for focus rather unnecessary.

Anyway, I hope you get some of your wishes and that you continue your experience with photography, sharing the journey with us here, at the Digital Grin.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    I really had to think long and hard about this one. The D3 really has a long list of useful tools, but if I had to change something or wish for more.....

1. I would like it to be a tad faster. Maybe 15 to 20 Frames per second.

2. I would like to see larger mega pixels but not at the sacrifice of the high ISO.

3. A real self dust cleaning sensor.

4. Larger recorded resolution similar to the 1ds MKIII

5. Higher sync speeds.

That is really all I can come up with. At this point I would rather Nikon get off their butts and create some killer glass for the full frame system. Who wouldn't love an affordable 70-300mm F1.8 or a super wide 10-20mm F1.2 ???
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    I really miss following stuff in my XTi
    • Large viewfinder
    • Spot metering
    • Better grip
    • Battery life
    • Better focusing point (as 40D or 50D etc)
    5Dmk2
    • Great if canon sponsors me this beast along with 24-105. I think this camera is complete. :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    I think nearly everything you described can be found in the Pentax K7. From in-body IS to wireless flash control to SD cards, the new Pentax body looks the business. Form factor is similar to my K200D, a compact weather-sealed magnesium body.

It will replace my K200D next year some time. I've begun amassing some new and old pentax glass that is all compatible with digital, and it is a ton of fun.

I'd encourage you to look at the K7, you may be surprised. dpreview preview here
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2009
    Fun answers!! thumb.gif
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I don't know that replaceable screens make much sense for the smaller format cameras. I use live view for fine focus and it's a lot more accurate. I think that AF systems will continue to improve and make using the viewfinder for focus rather unnecessary.

Actually, I only want one for purely pragmatic reasons: I find it hard to keep the 8x10 format in mind while seeing a 4x6 frame. Since I'm drifting into doing some performer headshots, it would be nice to have that feature to keep my eye on track for the ratio as I shoot.
    Anyway, I hope you get some of your wishes and that you continue your experience with photography, sharing the journey with us here, at the Digital Grin.

Ha - you think you can get rid of me after only a year of regular membership?! Not a chance. No, I think you're doomed to my musings for a while to come yet....rolleyes1.gif

Grainbelt wrote:
    I think nearly everything you described can be found in the Pentax K7. From in-body IS to wireless flash control to SD cards, the new Pentax body looks the business. Form factor is similar to my K200D, a compact weather-sealed magnesium body.

It will replace my K200D next year some time. I've begun amassing some new and old pentax glass that is all compatible with digital, and it is a ton of fun.

I'd encourage you to look at the K7, you may be surprised. dpreview preview here

Interesting. My very first camera was a Pentax ME Super, so I'm partial to the brand. That said, I've been shooting Canon for some time now, and have enough glass it would be hard to think of switching at this point; I think I'm pretty much locked into Canon. But it's cool to know I'm not the only one that would like those features in that combination! thumb.gif

I will be very interested indeed to see what the next mid-grade Canon offers, and at what price point - one assumes some of the pro features will be trickling down, so it will be interesting to see what's considered viable and marketable. I await with interest!
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Pentax K20D. It's half the price of the K7 right now, but not half the camera. mwink.gif

Join the whatever-side-the-Pentaxians-are-on Side!
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    I kinda think that the range of bodies Canon has is already there, though a few features shamelessly copied from Nikon might be nice (like e-ttl master in the pop-up). I currently shoot a 20D and I'm pretty happy with it, but I wouldn't turn down a pair of 50s. Or an IR-modified 450D...

What I would really like to see is a sharper version of the 70-200/2.8 IS - before I have the money to buy one at which point this opinion will change.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited July 18, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    ... Actually, I only want one for purely pragmatic reasons: I find it hard to keep the 8x10 format in mind while seeing a 4x6 frame. Since I'm drifting into doing some performer headshots, it would be nice to have that feature to keep my eye on track for the ratio as I shoot.

Build a simple 4x5 aspect ratio frame to fit over the LCD display and use Live View.

The XSi has Live View so you can try it right now. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Diva....

I replaced the focusing screen in my 50D with one that has a grid. It isn't a dead accurate crop for an 8x10, but there is one set of lines in there that if you can keep the composition inside them you will surely be able to cut for an 8x10.

It's most handy for lining the camera up with the horizon...or with archetectual elements to keep things straight....but is also a help to a lesser degree for those pesky crop ratios and rule of thirds compositions.

Im not sure about the 20D or 30D, but I believe the screen is available for the 40D as well as the 50D.

I believe all of those cameras 20D and up have a true spot meter.

No video on any of them.

The 17-50 will fit.

Auto ISO and MF adjustment on the 50D.

As for a body based stabilization....

Canon and Nikon contend that the best way to add stabilization is in the lens. The theory is that the stabilizer can be designed for the particular lens whereas if it were body based it would be a one size fits all form of stabilization. In that scenario, the stabilization might yeild poorer results at some focal lengths while offering excellent results at others. Canon consistantly claims up to 3 stops difference with stabilization on all of their stabilized lenses....which is great....but comes at a price.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Build a simple 4x5 aspect ratio frame to fit over the LCD display and use Live View.

The XSi has Live View so you can try it right now. thumb.gif

You can draw the lines onto a screen protector with a Sharpee.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    It's most handy for lining the camera up with the horizon...or with archetectual elements to keep things straight....but is also a help to a lesser degree for those pesky crop ratios and rule of thirds compositions.

Im not sure about the 20D or 30D, but I believe the screen is available for the 40D as well as the 50D.

Third parties sell screens for the 20D and 30D, but it's a bit of a delicate operation to change, though possible.
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I believe all of those cameras 20D and up have a true spot meter.

30D and up on the spot, 20D only goes to partial (along with the usual average and evaluative).
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    Jeff, my hunch is that I'll "have" to go with a 40/50d when the time comes (hardly a tragedy :D), but I'm still loving playing "let's pretend" in the meantime. I nearly bought the 40d last time but just didn't really like the form factor; I don't mind the larger size as much now as I did when I went shopping last year, simply because I added the grip to my xsi which means I'm a little more used to the weight (although I still find the gripped xsi lighter and better balanced in my hand than the XXd series).

I'm really intrigued to see what Canon offer their prosumer customers next. Now that cameras fall prey to the technology life-cycle, it does seem that significant improvements come along every 2 years or so - since the 40/50d were more similar than not, I'm wondering if the next model will be a bigger jump.

In any case, pure speculation on my part - I was bored yesterday afternoon so amused myself by reading various spec lists which got me thinking rolleyes1.gif...

And yes, I could use liveview with a home-made grid, I suppose, but don't you realistically have to put it on a 'pod to use liveview properly? I feel sooooo much more comfortable handholding for most things.... I don't mind a monopod, but only use a tripod when i absolutely can't avoid it.

As for the spot meter.... the one in the xsi isn't a limitation - and it is really nice to have even a partial spot! - but it does trick me sometimes "catching" something in the larger sample area that I didn't realise until after I see the shot. No biggie, but since I was creating my dream camera... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    but since I was creating my dream camera... rolleyes1.gif

Getting on with the theme, I do remember dreaming up a new(ish) shooting mode, basically a Program mode that thinks a bit. First you'd set limits on shutter speed, aperture and ISO, and a set of preferences for using those. So the camera could then start by adjusting shutter speed to a limit, then adjust aperture and finally ISO - for example.

Then again aperture priority with a usable auto-iso would do the trick without being overly complicated.
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Getting on with the theme, I do remember dreaming up a new(ish) shooting mode, basically a Program mode that thinks a bit. First you'd set limits on shutter speed, aperture and ISO, and a set of preferences for using those. So the camera could then start by adjusting shutter speed to a limit, then adjust aperture and finally ISO - for example.

Then again aperture priority with a usable auto-iso would do the trick without being overly complicated.

And since we're playing...

I wonder if Canon will ever reinstate the eye-control-focus feature found in the 35mm Elan series? I thought that was SO cool, and given that changing focus points on the fly is just *hard* sometimes - especially with fast moving subjects - a version of that with 10+ years more technology behind it could be a very cool addition to a digital lineup.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    And since we're playing...

I wonder if Canon will ever reinstate the eye-control-focus feature found in the 35mm Elan series? I thought that was SO cool, and given that changing focus points on the fly is just *hard* sometimes - especially with fast moving subjects - a version of that with 10+ years more technology behind it could be a very cool addition to a digital lineup.

Voice control over the focus would be cool.

"The swan, not the trees!"

(Actually, being able to set limits for focus tracking would be really good. Focus the background, tell the camera not to go that far, focus the foreground and say it's too close...)
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2009
    Well,

I admit....I never use spot metering for the types of camera work that I do, and instead simply use evaluative metering. I have come to the point where I seldom use any of the shooting modes other than manual, so I am setting exposure myself...by the histogram. In aperture priority, or shutter speed priority I can see where it might be of some help, but even then...when using those modes...I ride the exposure compensation wheel...sone_nau.gif .

I have gotten used to the 50D form factor. It is much better balanced than the Xti with the 17-55mm F2.8IS lens attatched....and even more so if a flash is attatched. Still though, when I shoot an event and use my light-on-a-stick the 50D can be a handfull. The XTi is MUCH better for one handed shooting!:D

If I could design a camera?.....hmmm?

-Id definately stop somewhere between 10 and 15 megapixels. Its plenty. The size of the RAW files from the 50D cost me a computer upgrade on top of the cost of the camera. Instead of more resolution, I agree that low noise at the super high ISOs that are now an option would be awesome.

-Im interested in the video (surprisingly)....but not in manual focus video.eek7.gif

-If the STE2 capability were built into the body I'd be all over it!thumb.gif ...even at the expense of the built in flash (who uses that anyway?).

- I switch focus points constantly. It would be WAY cool if....
    -when in "manual focus" the lens focus ring performs as they do now, but
    -when in "auto focus" the focus ring would rotate through the focus points.
    I use a button on the back of the camera for focusing, and another to switch points....I am nearly a good candidate for carpal tunnel surgery and it is quickly getting worse!:D
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Voice control over the focus would be cool.

"The swan, not the trees!"

"No, not THOSE trees... the OTHER trees! Front! Back!". Hmmm... something tells me it might have a few kinks to work out rolleyes1.gif
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    - I switch focus points constantly. It would be WAY cool if....
    -when in "manual focus" the lens focus ring performs as they do now, but
    -when in "auto focus" the focus ring would rotate through the focus points.
    I use a button on the back of the camera for focusing, and another to switch points....I am nearly a good candidate for carpal tunnel surgery and it is quickly getting worse!:D

Whoa - now wouldn't THAT be cool! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif I usually resort to center+recomp, but I'm finding with this new 200mm lens that doesn't really help me out much, and switching AF points on the fly is simply a pain. Sure, one gets fast at it and it's do-able... I just wish it was easier, hence why I was feeling nostalgic about the eye-control..... mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2009
    Oh yeah, and add to my list: the zillion-point AF system of the d700.... :D
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Oh yeah, and add to my list: the zillion-point AF system of the d700.... :D
    Hmmm...that might be overkill for me since I only use ....ONE!rolleyes1.gif

In other news....Hows the new ballhead working out?
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Hmmm...that might be overkill for me since I only use ....ONE!rolleyes1.gifIn other news....Hows the new ballhead working out?

Well yeah, we only use one... but apparently the 51-point system in the Nikon means you can REALLY pick the right one, and it tends to "guess" the right point when you have more of them selected anyway. Realistically, I'm just hoping that Canon invokes SOME kind of expanded/improved/refined AF system in their next cameras since clearly the technology is there. The metering is great, the ergonomics are great, the noise control is for the most part great (I grumble about ISO 1600 sometimes, but remember what FILM used to be like at that speed???!! Ah, how soon we forget... rolleyes1.gif) but more accurate (face detection?) and variable AF could be really, really nice. I know, the system of the d700 AND eye-control. nod.gifs. Yup. That'd be cool.

(answered about the ballhead in the other thread... :D)
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Well yeah, we only use one... but apparently the 51-point system in the Nikon means you can REALLY pick the right one, and it tends to "guess" the right point when you have more of them selected anyway. Realistically, I'm just hoping that Canon invokes SOME kind of expanded/improved/refined AF system in their next cameras since clearly the technology is there. The metering is great, the ergonomics are great, the noise control is for the most part great (I grumble about ISO 1600 sometimes, but remember what FILM used to be like at that speed???!! Ah, how soon we forget... rolleyes1.gif) but more accurate (face detection?) and variable AF could be really, really nice. I know, the system of the d700 AND eye-control. nod.gifs. Yup. That'd be cool.

(answered about the ballhead in the other thread... :D)

We already have face detection AF mwink.gif

However, something I've wanted for years is flash that stays in a set orientation. Say I'm shooting in landscape orientation with the flash pointing to the upper left, I want a flashhead which, should I turn the camera to portrait, turns to still point up & left...
    Creativity's hard.