Options

Rotating images.

papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
edited January 23, 2008 in SmugMug Support
A relative with a standard smugmug account (but no Dgrin account) reported to me she's had no luck rotating several images in one of her galleries. She says she gets to the screen where the message pops up and says it may "take a while"....but after quite a while, there's no change.

I'll get the URL if need be so a Support Hero can check it out specifically...but, more genericly, it seems there have been reports in the past that rotations don't always "stick".

Is this an ongoing problem that's on "the list" to be addressed, or is it more likely operator error?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    papajay wrote:
    A relative with a standard smugmug account (but no Dgrin account) reported to me she's had no luck rotating several images in one of her galleries. She says she gets to the screen where the message pops up and says it may "take a while"....but after quite a while, there's no change.

I'll get the URL if need be so a Support Hero can check it out specifically...but, more genericly, it seems there have been reports in the past that rotations don't always "stick".

Is this an ongoing problem that's on "the list" to be addressed, or is it more likely operator error?
    We've not had any reports of rotates not working lately, so please have your friend email our help desk, we'll sort them out for sure thumb.gif
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 22, 2008
    Sometimes people don't know that they need to wait and actually reload the page. We can't initiate a page refresh for them.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2008
    Thanks Andy & Sheaf...
    I'll have her send an email.

Just so I'm clear myself...when you say "reload" the page, Sheaf, I assume that is the same as "refresh" (Function key F5 on my system)?? EDIT...nevermind...just saw the "refresh" reference in the second half of your reply.
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    As I understand it, rotation requests have lower priority than image uploads, so might have to wait longer for processing capacity.

Recently, I've noticed it take up to an hours or so for the photos to rotate.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2008
    PBolchover wrote:
    As I understand it, rotation requests have lower priority than image uploads, so might have to wait longer for processing capacity.

Recently, I've noticed it take up to an hours or so for the photos to rotate.

This raises a question....if one submits a rotation request, but logs-out before it takes effect, does that cancel the rotation request?

I thought that once you see the message that says "this could take a while", the rotation request would proceed entirely in the background.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    papajay wrote:
    This raises a question....if one submits a rotation request, but logs-out before it takes effect, does that cancel the rotation request?
    No.
    I thought that once you see the message that says "this could take a while", the rotation request would proceed entirely in the background.
    Correct :)
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    No.
    Correct :)
    Thanks for the clarification Andy.