Options

Mama Don't Take My Kodachrome Away!

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
edited June 25, 2009 in Finishing School

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited June 22, 2009
    I had read they make one production run a year and that this might well be their last production run sometime last year. Oh well. Time to hoard....not lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited June 22, 2009
    How sad!

I always loved Kodachrome with its deep, dark, shadows, and bright reds and greens!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited June 22, 2009
    Thanks, Richard. Now I've got that damn song running through my head all day. :bluduh
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited June 23, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks, Richard. Now I've got that damn song running through my head all day. :bluduh

lol3.gif That makes two of us. Still crazy after all these years...naughty.gif
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    OK, since we all loved Kodachrome, the look of National Geographic, how about figuring out how to get that look in post? I'm sure it's possible, but I really don't know how. A little googling might help here...
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    OK, since we all loved Kodachrome, the look of National Geographic, how about figuring out how to get that look in post? I'm sure it's possible, but I really don't know how. A little googling might help here...

Check out lifeindigitalfilm.com He does presets for Lightroom/ACR based on film/emulsion types. He does have two Kodachrome presets for download as well.

And as an aside, I worked for two summers at Kodak. Want to know what it's like in the big yellow box? Very very dark ...
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 23, 2009
    Ah Kodachrome, you gave us those nice colors...but wait listen, it's the Sound of Silence. No more Kodachrome.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited June 23, 2009
    rutt wrote:

There are plugins available for PS that emulate various film types. Not the same as figuring it out. You can find one such tool here.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2009
    Lightroom2 comes with a positive transparency preset built in.

• Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2009
    Nik Colr Efx 3.0 has a Kodachrome filter.

I shot a bunch of Kodachrome when I got my first cameras. I keep thinking I want to pull my film bodies out to play until I think about the cost of film, delvelping and scanning and the time that takes over th instant results of digital. But there still is nothing like film. Like a bridge over troubled water...
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    rutt wrote:

Any rendering setting YOU feel mimic's the look of any film is thus going to work for you. IOW, anyone who sells or gives you some preset or setting that they claim produces the "look" of a film stock better have some good ammo to prove it by showing a film capture and a digital capture of the same scene that produce the same rendering. Otherwise its just a lot of marketing hype. I can up my Vibrance setting in LR and call it Velvia, doesn't make it a colorimetric match or even close to it. Anything short of a true, measurable colorimetric match is totally a subjective tweak. And that's fine. But lets be careful here in calling some setting what it really isn't.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2009
    arodney wrote:
    Any rendering setting YOU feel mimic's the look of any film is thus going to work for you. IOW, anyone who sells or gives you some preset or setting that they claim produces the "look" of a film stock better have some good ammo to prove it by showing a film capture and a digital capture of the same scene that produce the same rendering. Otherwise its just a lot of marketing hype. I can up my Vibrance setting in LR and call it Velvia, doesn't make it a colorimetric match or even close to it. Anything short of a true, measurable colorimetric match is totally a subjective tweak. And that's fine. But lets be careful here in calling some setting what it really isn't.

That's what I like about lifeindigitalfilm.com. deal.gif That, and the price. :D
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    Nik Colr Efx 3.0 has a Kodachrome filter.

Chatkat, I just looked through the listing in my version of Color Efx Pro 3.0 running in LR2, and I can't seem to find something titled 'Kodachrome'.

Am I just not seeing it somewhere? Or is it hidden inside a lower level dialogue box that I am missing?

As I said, LR2 offer a preset for "Positive Transparency" that gets pretty close with a little help.

• Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2009
    Reports of Kodachrome's demise are premature!deal.gifthumb:D

It is alive and well in my DxO, Nik and onOne suites!wings.giflust
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Chatkat, I just looked through the listing in my version of Color Efx Pro 3.0 running in LR2, and I can't seem to find something titled 'Kodachrome'.

Am I just not seeing it somewhere? Or is it hidden inside a lower level dialogue box that I am missing?

As I said, LR2 offer a preset for "Positive Transparency" that gets pretty close with a little help.

Look in Film Effects, the drop down menu top right.

I used the Velvia (among other things) for my pic of the Imperial Hotel in Landscapes, .

• Options
    edited June 25, 2009
    arodney wrote:

Well, if people were doing the development themselves, Kodochrome film could be different things to different people, yes?