HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited April 27, 2012 in Cameras
Some of the inevitable comparisons are coming out now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omTo7UxbJX8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jKspoynL0o&feature=related

Looks like both are winners
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    Pretty neck and neck. I got lots of canon gear and it would be stupid to sell it off for Nikon's. And vice versa if you are a nikoner.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    Pretty neck and neck. I got lots of canon gear and it would be stupid to sell it off for Nikon's. And vice versa if you are a nikoner.

+1 nod.gif

For the sensor, its basically a tradeoff between maximum detail and low light performance. The MKIII is exactly what I've wanted ever since I bought the MKII, and now it's here! :) If you shoot with the right settings, 22MP still makes a gorgeous 24"x36"+ print in which you can press your face against and it will still remain crisp. Although 36MP would be hella nice for certain things, I barely ever go the route in which I need it. If I became that famous for my artwork I could afford an extra $20k in equipment anyway :lol
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    DeVerm wrote: »
    D800 is clear winner

But it doesn't fit any of my lenses and it's only 4fps. So I bought the 5D3.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited April 3, 2012
    But it doesn't fit any of my lenses and it's only 4fps. So I bought the 5D3.

You didn't watch the video-clip I linked to :D
    ciao!
    Nick.

edited April 3, 2012
    Haha, good one. Although is the D800 really worse for noise like the bear says? I stopped paying attention after I got my wonderful 5D3. The measurebator forum (aka dpreview) was arguing this point ad-nauseum when I left. I'm inclined to think the difference between the two is not a deal maker or breaker.

And as it has been pointed out before, it takes a doubling of megapixels to make a meaningful difference to resolution. Looking at 5D2 vs 645D pictures, and 5D3 vs D800 pictures, I'm inclined to believe that.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited April 3, 2012
    Haha, good one. Although is the D800 really worse for noise like the bear says?

Yes, the MKIII is 2-3 stops ahead of the D800's noise. If you look at noise comparison video clips, the MKIII keeps pretty clean video up to 12800 while relatively the D800 gets a lot of color and contrast noise at ISO 3200 and higher.
    edited April 3, 2012
    In one of the other videos you could clearly see that the 5D3 is cleaner with high ISO but those images are not clean enough to use from either. You can probably see a diff at 1:1 in usable pictures but that goes weird because of the higher pixel count of the D800. In short: both good. I think the AF of the 5D3 is better which is strange but I think Nikon didn't evolve it this time.
    ciao!
    Nick.

edited April 3, 2012
    In one of the other videos you could clearly see that the 5D3 is cleaner with high ISO but those images are not clean enough to use from either. You can probably see a diff at 1:1 in usable pictures but that goes weird because of the higher pixel count of the D800. In short: both good. I think the AF of the 5D3 is better which is strange but I think Nikon didn't evolve it this time.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/04/nikon-d800-review-major-hd-upgrade-but-is-it-the-best-dslr-for-the-money/

Watch the video clip comparisons. The D800 becomes a sloppy mess of color noise while the 5D MKIII looks clean even at 25600. Watch in HD and its even more apparent.

Also, you use a 5D MKII. ISO 3200-6400 is completely usable if properly exposed (6400 could use noise reduction assistance)

The MKIII is 2 stops better, so it takes images easily usable at ISO 6400. It is a significant difference. MKII 1600 ISO = MKIII 6400 ISO.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    From what I've seen so far the D800 produces usable results up to ISO 6400 which has been as far as I've needed to date with my D3s. The DXO review of the sensor rated it 3rd overall for low light shooting. If I had to shoot with only one body I would go with the 5DIII. However the D800E will be a fine complement to my D4.

Both cameras are outstanding which one to go with will depend on what you want to use it for.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    Yes, the MKIII is 2-3 stops ahead of the D800's noise. If you look at noise comparison video clips, the MKIII keeps pretty clean video up to 12800 while relatively the D800 gets a lot of color and contrast noise at ISO 3200 and higher.

Cleaner with reduced detail.
    That is a big negative IMO.
    I rather have noise than loss of detail, because the noise performance is already exceptional and noise reduction programs will improve.

Also, this measure bating stuff is kinda getting annoying. Why would I switch to canon if theirs were slightly better? If you shoot with Nikon, that is what you have, if you have a canon that is what you'll probably use.
    There should be more, 5D3 vs 5d2 tests, or D700 vs D800 tests.
    edited April 3, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    From what I've seen so far the D800 produces usable results up to ISO 6400 which has been as far as I've needed to date with my D3s. The DXO review of the sensor rated it 3rd overall for low light shooting. If I had to shoot with only one body I would go with the 5DIII. However the D800E will be a fine complement to my D4.

Both cameras are outstanding which one to go with will depend on what you want to use it for.

Harry, I'm wondering if you don't miss any added reach from crop sensors? I guess your lenses are long enough to compensate, but then again, they say it's never long enough...

I now have a Canon 7D and 5D3 and will invest in more long glass before another body pops up the list. I wouldn't want to give up the crop sensor now and wonder if that changes as I get longer glass...
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    However the D800E will be a fine complement to my D4.

You already have a D4?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2012
    Harry, I'm wondering if you don't miss any added reach from crop sensors? I guess your lenses are long enough to compensate, but then again, they say it's never long enough...

I now have a Canon 7D and 5D3 and will invest in more long glass before another body pops up the list. I wouldn't want to give up the crop sensor now and wonder if that changes as I get longer glass...

I still have the D300 if I need that extra reach. :D However my experience is that the IQ of my FF cameras is definitely better than my DX camera. I rather have the edge in IQ than in reach.

With the the new full frame bodies I can use the 2.0 TC. I used the new 2.0 TC on my trip to Kenya with the 70-200 and found it to work extremely well. I'm looking forward to putting the 2.0 TC on my 500mm and shooting with it on the D4.
    Harry
    edited April 3, 2012
    I still have the D300 if I need that extra reach. :D However my experience is that the IQ of my FF cameras is definitely better than my DX camera. I rather have the edge in IQ than in reach.

With the the new full frame bodies I can use the 2.0 TC. I used the new 2.0 TC on my trip to Kenya with the 70-200 and found it to work extremely well. I'm looking forward to putting the 2.0 TC on my 500mm and shooting with it on the D4.

I have a 70-200L f/2.8 IS with both 1.4x and 2.0x TC's; they are all the previous generation. I must admit I never even put them on the 5D2 so I'm gonna do that and compare to 7D captures. Thinking about buying the 70-300L and/or the 100-400L and dreaming about the new 300mm prime with both new TC's.

One thing is sure: it's gonna cost me and that is before buying new bodies... eek7.gif
    ciao!
    Nick.

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2012

2-3 stops ahead? Maybe in video, but in still, RAW captures the two cameras seem to be pretty close, within about a stop or so up to 6400 / 12800... http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkiii/12

But, quibbles aside, (because yeah insanefred, arguing for the sake of arguing is getting annoying) ...the bottom line for me is that BOTH cameras are a huge leap forward. The 5D mk3 is going to be quite the champ, especially for wedding shooters who bump down to mRAW. But the D800 is no slouch, and hot on the 5D mk3's heels compared to any previous generation of camera, and especially considering the insane resolution...

I'm really happy that both cameras have come to market, I only wish that Nikon would develop some form of mRAW or sRAW for those of us who TRULY don't need such insane resolution, but want to keep their bodies around $3K instead of double...

;-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited April 4, 2012
    2-3 stops ahead? Maybe in video, but in still, RAW captures the two cameras seem to be pretty close, within about a stop or so up to 6400 / 12800... http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkiii/12

But, quibbles aside, (because yeah insanefred, arguing for the sake of arguing is getting annoying) ...the bottom line for me is that BOTH cameras are a huge leap forward. The 5D mk3 is going to be quite the champ, especially for wedding shooters who bump down to mRAW. But the D800 is no slouch, and hot on the 5D mk3's heels compared to any previous generation of camera, and especially considering the insane resolution...

I'm really happy that both cameras have come to market, I only wish that Nikon would develop some form of mRAW or sRAW for those of us who TRULY don't need such insane resolution, but want to keep their bodies around $3K instead of double...

;-)

=Matt=

The D800 DOES have 5:4 ratio available, something I wish my D700 had.

the biggest selling points of the d800 are the 5:4 ratio, 100% viewfinder, and maybe the ability to auto focus in lower light then the D700 if it proves to work.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2012
    insanefred wrote: »
    The D800 DOES have 5:4 ratio available, something I wish my D700 had.

the biggest selling points of the d800 are the 5:4 ratio, 100% viewfinder, and maybe the ability to auto focus in lower light then the D700 if it proves to work.

5:4 ratio and 100% viewfinder are a selling point over the D700? Maybe, but the resolution is still the biggest sheer difference between the D800 and D700. And an obstacle I'm not "able" (willing) to overcome without an sRAW mode. I guess I can understand that Nikon doesn't want to confuse people with too many RAW and image size options in general. To have FX, FX sRAW / mRAW, 5:4, 1.2x and 1.5x DX, well yeah, that's just too many RAW options. This is just one of the very few situations in which I'm annoyed by Nikon's tradition of maintaining backwards compatibility just for the sake of tradition. I mean seriously Nikon, you stopped designing pro DX lenses like half a decade ago! Own up to the fact that pro DX is not going anywhere, and give us an FX sRAW mode already...
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited April 4, 2012
    5:4 ratio and 100% viewfinder are a selling point over the D700? Maybe, but the resolution is still the biggest sheer difference between the D800 and D700. And an obstacle I'm not "able" (willing) to overcome without an sRAW mode. I guess I can understand that Nikon doesn't want to confuse people with too many RAW and image size options in general. To have FX, FX sRAW / mRAW, 5:4, 1.2x and 1.5x DX, well yeah, that's just too many RAW options. This is just one of the very few situations in which I'm annoyed by Nikon's tradition of maintaining backwards compatibility just for the sake of tradition. I mean seriously Nikon, you stopped designing pro DX lenses like half a decade ago! Own up to the fact that pro DX is not going anywhere, and give us an FX sRAW mode already...

sorry, meant, selling points for me.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012

It looks a good stop or so better than the D700 in tests I've seen (when at the same size not pixel by pixel) so if you're used the the D3s it should be pretty close.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    If this has already been posted, apologies...

PSA: you might not want to have a drink in your hand when you watch it :D

http://www.diyphotography.net/comparing-the-d800-against-the-canon-5d-mkiii
    edited April 5, 2012
    divamum wrote: »

Best review ever. Made me feel better about the MKIII I ordered, actually!
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2012
    I had no idea Canonomile Tea was so expensive!:D

edited April 5, 2012

Despite that review was more about video quality, it was actually entertaining.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2012

Good god man....that cwacked me up!wings.gif
    Never mind the cameras, this has my vote for best review ever!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2012
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Good god man....that cwacked me up!wings.gif
    Never mind the cameras, this has my vote for best review ever!

15524779-Ti.gif

Despite the obvious giggle-factor, I love that they not only do put across some genuine info BUT also manage to totally and entirely (and humourosly!) smack-down the over-pixel-peeping, "mine is bigger than yours" fanboi mentality with one gigantic SQUISH. rolleyes1.gif

It's perfection, really. :)
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2012

I agree. People need to focus on their skills rather than the gear unless there's something really groundbreaking about the next model. These are great refinements on what was available previously. I'm surprised though how well the D800 does at higher ISOs for that large pixel count. It's really just about as good or maybe even slightly better than the D700. If I had the extra money I'd probably get a D800 for the better metering and dynamic range (over the D700). I'm waiting to see what happens with the mirrorless market though. I wish Fuji would have done better with the X Pro 1 (focusing and some other issues) because I could see myself buying that.
    edited April 12, 2012
    I got to play with the D800 and 5D3 the other day, too bad I forgot to bring a memory card. But first impressions for the D800 are disappointing for me. First, is the grip, IT"S TOO SMALL! :pukeNo where to put my little finger at all, it just rests off and under the camera, gah. They also made it thinner, so my finger tips dig into the body even worse than the D700. Nothing to support my proximal and intermediate phalanges. Did they take a 5 year olds hand and design it based on that? Bad Nikon, very bad! Everything else was pretty nice, view finder actually seemed a little bigger than the D700. Didn't think I'd notice a difference and the new AF selector is a nice touch.

Oddly enough, Canon beefed up the grip on their 5D3, crap, now that fits my hands?! Almost perfectly too (nikon D3 has the best grip of them all so far). But I am not sure if it was the lenses I tried, but the canon had a sloow
    autofocus.

I also got to make fun of the new shutter sound of both cameras. the 5D3 sounds like someone tapping on a sheet of aluminum and the d800 sounds like it needs some oil for the squeak.
    edited April 12, 2012
    insanefred wrote: »
    But I am not sure if it was the lenses I tried, but the canon had a sloow
    autofocus.

No it doesn't.
    -Jack

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2012
    Truth be said I don't think respective users are going to jump ship...both offerings should keep most everyone happy as upgrades go....
    Yo soy Reynaldo