CS6 is official

CoreyDCoreyD Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited September 3, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
The shortest distance between two points is........grossly over rated!
http://www.deardsphotography.com

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited April 23, 2012
    Adobe seems to have backed off somewhat from their previously announced pricing scheme. The full-license upgrade to CS6 will be available for 200 bucks for anyone with CS3 or later until the end of 2012. After that, you will need to be on CS5 to get that price and there's no mention of what it will cost if you are on an earlier version. I couldn't find any mention at all of previous version requirements in their cloud-based subscription pricing. Dunno. http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/buying-guide-upgrades.html
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    At first glance if you are using a few adobe products it seems the the $600/year subscription is a pretty good deal. It looks like it includes installation on two machines.

I use Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Audition, and Lightroom all the time. The sub would give me Photoshop Extended which gives me some 3D capabilities I don't have now but have thought about adding. I used to use Illustratrator a lot but mostly use Photoshop now, but I could fall back onto Illustrator now when I needed to.

I also add animations to videos using Premiere Pro, but now I would also have access to After-Effects which might make that a bit easier to do animations.

If you are just using Photoshop+lightroom though it probably cheaper to upgrade as new versions appear.

Interestingly enough PPC (Pre Personal Computer :D) just about everything was done, in effect, by subscription, even hardware...

Richard wrote: »
    Adobe seems to have backed off somewhat from their previously announced pricing scheme. The full-license upgrade to CS6 will be available for 200 bucks for anyone with CS3 or later until the end of 2012. After that, you will need to be on CS5 to get that price and there's no mention of what it will cost if you are on an earlier version. I couldn't find any mention at all of previous version requirements in their cloud-based subscription pricing. Dunno. http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/buying-guide-upgrades.html
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012

Now this interests me. I've avoided upggrading from CS3 simply because it has always been so expensive, but this might be just the ticket. Watching this one for sure......
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    Ah Richard. You had me going with that $200 bucks upgrade. Upgrade for me is $375; CS6 Production Premium.

Ah ha! and The winner for me is: Encore; Chapter playlists in Blu-ray! YAY!!!!!!clap.gifclapclap.gif
    tom wise
    edited April 23, 2012
    The subscription does include Encore, is that what the YAY!!!!!!clap.gifclapclap.gif means?
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Ah Richard. You had me going with that $200 bucks upgrade. Upgrade for me is $375; CS6 Production Premium.

Ah ha! and The winner for me is: Encore; Chapter playlists in Blu-ray! YAY!!!!!!clap.gifclapclap.gif
    edited April 23, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    The subscription does include Encore, is that what the YAY!!!!!!clap.gifclapclap.gif means?

Subscription? No, Upgrade. The YAY is for Chapter Playlists in Blu-ray, which Encore did not have the capability to do before.
    tom wise
    edited April 23, 2012
    Ahhh, I see. I've been looking at the numbers and for the Adobe tools I use I think the subscription will be less expensive and more convenient than upgrading them all.
    Subscription? No, Upgrade. The YAY is for Chapter Playlists in Blu-ray, which Encore did not have the capability to do before.
    edited April 23, 2012
    Actually I just checked on the Adobe site and because I already have a number of the CS5 tools the first year of the Cloud will only be $360. That makes it a no brainer for me.
    Ahhh, I see. I've been looking at the numbers and for the Adobe tools I use I think the subscription will be less expensive and more convenient than upgrading them all.
    edited April 23, 2012
    For the uninitiated, Chapter Playlists allows viewing just a given chapter from the timeline and returning you to the main menu when that chapter is complete. Encore had that in Dvd, but not Blu-ray. You could choose to view a given chapter in Blu-ray, but then it would continue right on thru the other chapters after the Chosen Chapter was viewed versus sending you back to the main menu.

You set up those options in the flowchart/button properties.

My last Dvd/Br had a an active movie as a menu with 6 movies embedded and playing in six little video windows in the menu. You clicked on any individual move/Chapter you'd like to view and voila, it allowed you to view that Chapter and would return you to the Main menu so you could choose another. Or/And of course you could also choose to watch the whole Timeline as a whole movie in typical fashion; one chapter after another sequentially.
    tom wise
    edited April 23, 2012
    Actually I just checked on the Adobe site and because I already have a number of the CS5 tools the first year of the Cloud will only be $360. That makes it a no brainer for me.

And because I have the Production Premium Suite, I have to upgrade the Suite as a whole.
    tom wise
    edited April 23, 2012
    I think the subscription includes everything you have in the Production Premium Suite. In fact it has everything in the master collection and more.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/22/adobe-officially-unveils-cs6-and-its-49month-all-inclusive-creative-cloud-subscription-service/creative_cloud_price_comparison/

And because I have the Production Premium Suite, I have to upgrade the Suite as a whole.
    edited April 23, 2012
    I think the subscription includes everything you have in the Production Premium Suite. In fact it has everything in the master collection and more.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/22/adobe-officially-unveils-cs6-and-its-49month-all-inclusive-creative-cloud-subscription-service/creative_cloud_price_comparison/

Nice. I'm not sure how I feel about Cloud Computing because out here, where I live having this 10GB per Month limit and 0.26 Mbps download speed I tested recently I suspect that'd never work.
    tom wise
    edited April 23, 2012
    That's not how it works. You install the apps on your machine and run it locally, just like you do now. It the same as buying one of the app's and doing a digital download instead of having the CD sent to you. That's how their current subscription works too. I've used it when I needed extra copies of Premiere... I even installed one subscription copy on a amazon virtual machine and it worked fine (for batching some processing I had to do).

You will have a few GB to download initially to do the install and I know that might be an issue for your bandwidth, but it would not be any worse than doing an upgrade online.

The cloud part is really confusing, I've run into a number of people who though it meant running Photoshop "in the cloud", but it not.

Nice. I'm not sure how I feel about Cloud Computing because out here, where I live having this 10GB per Month limit and 0.26 Mbps download speed I tested recently I suspect that'd never work.
    edited April 23, 2012
    That's not how it works. You install the apps on your machine and run it locally, just like you do now. It the same as buying one of the app's and doing a digital download instead of having the CD sent to you. That's how their current subscription works too. I've used it when I needed extra copies of Premiere... I even installed one subscription copy on a amazon virtual machine and it worked fine (for batching some processing I had to do).

You will have a few GB to download initially to do the install and I know that might be an issue for your bandwidth, but it would not be any worse than doing an upgrade online.

The cloud part is really confusing, I've run into a number of people who though it meant running Photoshop "in the cloud", but it not.

Well Then I definitely do not understand the cloud aspect! I thought somehow you had to access the 'cloud' to do work er some such. And basically since I had no Internet Connection to speak of, I just wrote it off~

I will upgrade. and I will have them send me a Disc just like the last two upgrades.
    tom wise
    edited April 23, 2012
    Yup, Adobe is definitely confusing lots of people marketing subscriptions as a cloud product. There are some cloud features like sharing, but all the apps are local... things like Photoshop and Premiere are never going to run "in the cloud".
    Well Then I definitely do not understand the cloud aspect!.
    edited April 23, 2012
    Yup, Adobe is definitely confusing lots of people marketing subscriptions as a cloud product. There are some cloud features like sharing, but all the apps are local... things like Photoshop and Premiere are never going to run "in the cloud".

They ought to be careful with those marketing buzz words, lest they turn some folks off~

thanks Dan~
    tom wise
    edited April 23, 2012
    Adobe is doing a live event about the "Cloud suite" at 1:00PM EST today.

http://www.adobe.com/special/cs6/launch-event-desktop.html

They ought to be careful with those marketing buzz words, lest they turn some folks off~

thanks Dan~
    edited April 23, 2012
    This may just be Adobe blowing smoke but at least this FAQ on the creative cloud is something to think about...

Are there any differences in functionality between the Creative Suite software included in my Creative Cloud membership and the software I buy in the box?
    <DD style="DISPLAY: block" class="LayoutRow TreeListPad" jQuery161043767001800223953="79">As of now, there are no differences in the functionality or in the system requirements between the two. However, as we add more to Creative Cloud, like entirely new applications or software features that we deliver to Creative Cloud members first, it is possible that the functionality of Creative Cloud will be different from the software you buy in a box.

</DD>

I think Adobe is migrating to mainly subscription based applications. That's what Microsoft has done with developer tools, but I don't know of any subscription dev tools that Microsoft has that are different from those they sell outright.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Now this interests me. I've avoided upggrading from CS3 simply because it has always been so expensive, but this might be just the ticket. Watching this one for sure......
    If you have a decent computer - it is so worth it. ACR7.x alone is like heaven compared to what you have with CS3...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    If you have a decent computer - it is so worth it. ACR7.x alone is like heaven compared to what you have with CS3...

The "decent computer" part might be a sticking point rolleyes1.gif Although, that said, maybe it will be a case of upgrading computer and software together; both were on my "list" of things to try and achieve this year anyway, if I can.

Is LR3 running ACR7, or am I now a generation adrift?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    When is it shipping?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    When is it shipping?

Availability date is May 7. Or so they say...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited April 23, 2012
    At Adobe Creative Cloud kick off they said that current users of CS3,4, or 5 products can subscribe to the entire suite for $30 a month. That's PS (extended), LR, Premiere, and .......
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012

Is LR3 running ACR7, or am I now a generation adrift?

ACR6
    you can check by ; Help > about adobe lichtroom
    in the pop-up it says ACR version below LR version
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Availability date is May 7. Or so they say...

Perfect, that's my bday lol3.gif
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    So now Adobe will own my soul lol3.gif

I'm not too mad, I was planning on having to pay for edge/muse monthly so for ~double that I'll get the full suite and the cloud. Plus this gives me even more of an excuse to finally get a tablet!

Also I know this is a photo forum but does anyone know of videos showing more of the web tools? Most CS6 videos I'm finding are photo/video related.
  • all5duggansall5duggans Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    So I have a question, and if it seems rudimentary, I apologize in advance.

If the price is a hurdle for the latest and greatest from Adobe, why not use an education verification to get it in a much more appealing price? My daughter is a college student, and she also uses it for school, so we got the CS5 package for 189.00. I believe we paid about 89.00 for LR3. Everyone knows someone who has a college student, so why not take advantage of the pricing they offer for students/teachers?
  • SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Interestingly, our government has announced an investigation into predatory pricing practices by international software companies, mainly Adobe and Symantec. Since Adobe has been the worst offender by far (routinely charging 80% and higher in Australia), they're the first target. Their response has been to drop the price premium in Australia to 'only' 30% - 40%. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they soon start treating their Australian customers fairly by charging them the same as everyone else for the same downloaded product.
    John
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited May 7, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Perfect, that's my bday lol3.gif
    :bday

And, yeah, CS6 is now shipping.
    edited May 7, 2012
    Looks like Adobe Cloud has slipped to May 11, at least that's what my order says. It used to say May 8. We'll see tomorrow.

And, yeah, CS6 is now shipping.