Stealing Photos Opinions needed

MommajojoMommajojo Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited May 18, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
HI Everyone, I am not sure if this is going in the right forum, but I'm not sure what to do. I have seen on facebook that some people (mostly children under the age of 17) have taken screen shots of my photos from smug mug and posted them on their facebook pages. Yes they are watermarked. Should I consider this free advertising or tell their parents.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    I (and many others) consider this advertising. Watermark your photos and have your studio name and address prominent. There's NO WAY to stop screen grabbing, unfortunately.
  • MommajojoMommajojo Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    Thank you for your input. My watermark is on their but I think I will make it a little more bolder and include my web address. Have a great day!
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2012
    Mommajojo wrote: »
    Should I consider this free advertising or tell their parents.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this.

Both... however do explain to the parents that you're considering this free adverts, however if they grab from you they may grab from someone not so understanding and it could land them in both criminal and civil court....

no way to really prevent it... ... ...

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited April 28, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Both... however do explain to the parents that you're considering this free adverts, however if they grab from you they may grab from someone not so understanding and it could land them in both criminal and civil court....

no way to really prevent it... ... ...

Good Luck.

Thank you!! I was just about to politely mention to one parent when low and behold. I see another parent has actually made a photo her profile picture. I give up. I guess it's alot of free advertising for me and bigger watermarks... UGHH!!!! The watermarks kill me. I feel like they ruin the photos.

Have a nice weekend.
  • Pure EnergyPure Energy Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    Ummm... isn't that the point? Tastefully ruin the photos so that they'll want to buy a print whether they screen grab or steal the photo?

If they really want a photo for their Fakebook account, you could provide a few free of charge as long as they are being polite up front.
  • S2freeS2free Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 2, 2012
    Stealing photos
    Andy wrote: »
    I (and many others) consider this advertising. Watermark your photos and have your studio name and address prominent. There's NO WAY to stop screen grabbing, unfortunately.
    Andy, I went to a few Smugmug sites and was able to right click and save image as, on my site I have no right click enabled so this can't happen. Is there another way people can screen grab?
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited May 2, 2012
    S2free wrote: »
    ...on my site I have no right click enabled so this can't happen. Is there another way people can screen grab?
    Right click is not protection; it's just a brief stopping point. See ORIGINALS = a gateway to free photos, & right click protection is NOT PROTECTION.
    Screen shots are easy too, and you can't protect against that.

Disable access to your originals. Set the largest viewing size to a size that allows your viewers to enjoy your photos but that still allows you a level of comfort. If you're concerned about screen grabs, watermark your photos.

--- Denise
    edited May 2, 2012
    Andy, I went to a few Smugmug sites and was able to right click and save image as, on my site I have no right click enabled so this can't happen. Is there another way people can screen grab?

SmugMug customers can choose to use watermarking, right click, etc... it's a choice. Some do, some don't.

Screengrabbing? It's child's play, take a look at Skitch or Jing both free.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screenshot
    edited May 2, 2012
    I kind of wonder why no one seems to really mention that people should be adding CSS code to their SmugMug site. I wasn't happy when I found out I had to add it.

I don't know why it isn't automatically added when someone says... prevent right-clicking.

Oh well. I guess that explains why no one is purchasing photos from the first few galleries I ever posted. They already have them or they're still broke. Worse yet, they don't care or like the images.

There are, of course, other ways to get the images... so the best solutions at the moment are:
    • watermark
    • printmark
    • right-cick protection
    • CSS code (for SmugMug sites)
    • disabling sharing of photos
    edited May 2, 2012
    I kind of wonder why no one seems to really mention that people should be adding CSS code to their SmugMug site. I wasn't happy when I found out I had to add it.

I don't know why it isn't automatically added when someone says... prevent right-clicking.

You DO NOT have to add any CSS to stop right clicking. It's a gallery setting, toggle.
    edited May 2, 2012
    Then what is the CSS code for? I understand it was to prevent stealing of images from users of Internet Explorer.
    edited May 2, 2012
    Then what is the CSS code for? I understand it was to prevent stealing of images from users of Internet Explorer.

What CSS Code are you referring to?
    edited May 2, 2012
    Oh jeez...

I don't know what this is:

IE Print Toolbar
    Put this in your headtag area if you want to disable the ie print bar when viewers see your site in IE6.

< meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="no" >
    < meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="false" >

Still looking for the buried CSS code... which is part of why I get mad at it being buried on the SmugMug site. Maybe it's buried because by knowing the CSS code... it makes it easier for the thieves that go the extra mile.

Tried editing my post and the meta tags disappeared. Note: there should be no space after < or before >
    edited May 2, 2012
    Oh jeez...

I don't know what this is:
    IE Print Toolbar
    Put this in your headtag area if you want to disable the ie print bar when viewers see your site in IE6.

<meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="no">
    <meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="false">

You *can* do that if you like but it's not a requirement.
    edited May 2, 2012
    Still looking for the buried CSS code... which is part of why I get mad at it being buried on the SmugMug site. Maybe it's buried because by knowing the CSS code... it makes it easier for the thieves that go the extra mile.

If someone wants an image all they need do is use a free screengrabber. That is why we offer watermarking, blocking of larger sizes if you like, disabling easy sharing, and RCP.
    edited May 2, 2012
    Maybe it wasn't CSS code afterall... and it was this:

IE Print Toolbar

< meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="no" >
    < meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="false" >
    <meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="no">
    What exactly does that do again?

And I just found this code:

< meta name="pinterest" content="nopin" / >

How long has that been posted? That would have been nice to be notified about. Is this pointless for those that don't enable photo sharing?

Note: there should be no space: after "<" or before ">"
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=335387&postcount=1
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93274-blocking-printing-and-protecting-your-images
    edited May 2, 2012
    Hi Pure Energy, the IE Print Toolbar code was for IE6. If you follow our security help and advice, it's really not needed.

Pinterest? If you want to block "pinning" then add that.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    Pinterest? If you want to block "pinning" then add that.

If you want to block automatic "pinning" that is. As Andy has already pointed out, there's nothing to stop someone from getting a screen shot at any time and doing anything they want with the image. If you display it on a screen, they can have it.

I hate, hate, hate seeing large watermarks on public images but I completely understand why I pro really has no choice.
    edited May 2, 2012
    Hmmm... watermarks.

I wonder if people can notice a difference in sales in relation to moving from nothing to "proof" to something similar but with your name to something quite obnoxious or extremely obnoxious... much like people saying... "wow, I really started making money when I started charging more."
    edited May 5, 2012
    I wish I could afford a lawyer
    It's ridiculous, I made deal with a tutu maker. To take photos of children and then put text on 20 of the photos stating her companies name and my photo site well needless to say. I guess 20 photos were not good enough she screen shotted almost the entire album and then posted them on facebook. I mean really how disrespectful are people. THE GOOD PART NOW IS MY NAME IS ALL ACROSS EACH PHOTO courtesy of my watermark... I just find it so frustrating. Sorry everyone just had to vent... This is happening way too much to me.
    edited May 5, 2012
    Hmmm... watermarks.

I wonder if people can notice a difference in sales in relation to moving from nothing to "proof" to something similar but with your name to something quite obnoxious or extremely obnoxious... much like people saying... "wow, I really started making money when I started charging more."

BY the way I will keep you posted on this because supposedly a customer of mine said all her friends that were photographed were going to buy the photos...
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    While I set up a gallery of candids from all of my horse shows so that folks can right-click save a medium image that has my logo on it, I absolutely do not consider it free advertising when I see my watermarked competition photos uploaded into a Facebook gallery. I can't let it stand as advertising because once a person starts doing that to me, they basically stop buying from that point onward. If I let them get away with it, it just teaches their "friends" that they can go do it also.

I have a pretty refined process that I go through to get it both stopped and to get some payment. Being somewhat nice is important, but I only ask that they pay a nominal charge, just what they would have paid. I don't threaten to sue them or charge 100x what it would have been. That just gets you into an argument. If I get blown off, I have a variety of ways to go about it. I usually know their parents, but also I know who the coaches are, and that will usually get me results.

If I still don't get results, I both stop uploading their photos to my site as well as no longer may they see their pics at my stations at the show.

The key to results is not to browbeat someone's kids, and to try the nice way first.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited May 8, 2012
    HoofClix wrote: »
    While I set up a gallery of candids from all of my horse shows so that folks can right-click save a medium image that has my logo on it, I absolutely do not consider it free advertising when I see my watermarked competition photos uploaded into a Facebook gallery. I can't let it stand as advertising because once a person starts doing that to me, they basically stop buying from that point onward. If I let them get away with it, it just teaches their "friends" that they can go do it also.

I have a pretty refined process that I go through to get it both stopped and to get some payment. Being somewhat nice is important, but I only ask that they pay a nominal charge, just what they would have paid. I don't threaten to sue them or charge 100x what it would have been. That just gets you into an argument. If I get blown off, I have a variety of ways to go about it. I usually know their parents, but also I know who the coaches are, and that will usually get me results.

If I still don't get results, I both stop uploading their photos to my site as well as no longer may they see their pics at my stations at the show.

The key to results is not to browbeat someone's kids, and to try the nice way first.

Thank you for the ideas. The school aged children only took one or two but an adult has now screenshotted 164 photos and posted them on facebook. I have made her aware they are stolen and she still has not removed them. Again my only benefit is my name is all over them. I have now password protected the gallery and have made the viewing size smaller for anyone who I give the password to.
  • Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012

In Firefox when I face a "you can't right-click" message, it has a check box which basically says "don't show this again" and I can right-click again. There are also add-ons that enables right-clicking. So blocking right-click hardly prevents anyone from grabbing images.
    edited May 15, 2012
    Erick L wrote: »
    In Firefox when I face a "you can't right-click" message, it has a check box which basically says "don't show this again" and I can right-click again. There are also add-ons that enables right-clicking. So blocking right-click hardly prevents anyone from grabbing images.

RCP is hardly much of any deterrent. But let's not alarm people unnecessarily. Go here

http://www.moonriverphotography.com/Galleries/Philam-School/1415906_FG8DdN#!i=111118721&k=jGuWQ

and dismiss the popup in Firefox. Then save the image. You get this:
    http://www.moonriverphotography.com/img/spacer.gif
  • Erick LErick L Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    RCP is hardly much of any deterrent. But let's not alarm people unnecessarily. Go here

http://www.moonriverphotography.com/Galleries/Philam-School/1415906_FG8DdN#!i=111118721&k=jGuWQ

and dismiss the popup in Firefox. Then save the image. You get this:
    http://www.moonriverphotography.com/img/spacer.gif

Ah yes, that's true. I tried it a while ago and forgot about that.
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    . There's NO WAY to stop screen grabbing, unfortunately.

You could use flash or HTML5 in order to display a photo a little bit at a time (say split into rows and columns ). With a sufficiently fast refresh rate, it would appear whole, but a screen grab would only get whatever sliver is currently showing.

You could sit there and try to screen grab each bit and splice them together, but I think most people would give up and move on.
    edited May 17, 2012
    some sites I had visited a few years back was coding in a clear cover over the image so that if you right clicked all you got was a blank canvas, the images still loaded very fast... but I have no idea how much work that is: could it be done site wide or would it have to be done per image ... ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited May 17, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    some sites I had visited a few years back was coding in a clear cover over the image so that if you right clicked all you got was a blank canvas, the images still loaded very fast... but I have no idea how much work that is: could it be done site wide or would it have to be done per image ... ... ...

You mean like we do on SmugMug right now and have been since forever :D
    edited May 17, 2012
    You mean like we do on SmugMug right now and have been since forever :D

I never knew this was available on SM....how?? I have never even seen this mentioned before...:D:Dheadscratch.gifne_nau.gifdunno

As I have been to several SM sites that had no RC protection and was able to grab images...of course this was all in trying to help people that were complaining about theft in the 1st place...