> The Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges - General Discussion

Comments

• indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    I thought this one was definitely a contender: :)

1222976473_Q76Vs-S.jpg

Ahhh, thanks...

I really enjoy playing even if my stuff doesn't get in to the top ten. It's good fun and I learn a lot.
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    indiegirl wrote: »
    Sean, you're a rockstar. I hope my comment didn't offend.

Not at all - but I wondered where you were coming from with it.

BTW I too totally disagree with your evaluation of your contend-ability.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »
    Mildly bemused at 10,000+....mwink.gif
    "Need to get a life" at 15,000+ rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    indiegirl wrote: »
    i miss lps.
    +1
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    Being relatively new here & newer to the challenges, excuse my ignorance, but what are the differences between the DSS & LPS?

Also, on the subject of challenge etiquette, it would be nice to have a sticky setting out what's cool & what's not. Not rules - just suggestions, recommendations or guidelines for participating in the challenges. You can't not do what you don't know.* Reasons behind them would be really nice (if it's not obvious - like apparently fish photo etiquette is that you are only supposed to display the left side of a fish, unless it is asymetrical - but I have no idea why & I'm pretty sure I need to go flip some of my photos to comply - flipping is okay). For me, it's easier to remember a guideline if I know the reason for it.

*Sorry for the grammar, but it seemed appropriate. :D
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
    edited April 8, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »
    Being relatively new here & newer to the challenges, excuse my ignorance, but what are the differences between the DSS & LPS?

There are many similarities between both. LPS was a 1 year long challenge that had photographers competing for the top 40 spots available at the very end to shoot it out for the top big prize. SmugMug, being very generous had put up some amazing prizes. One of the prizes that I personally was after was the lifetime Pro SmugMug membership. I was ecstatic when it was decided that in DSS (the new incarnation of LPS), each quarter there would be a Lifetime SmugMug membership available to be won.

We were very lucky to have been given a second chance as there were several things that happened during LPS that gave the volunteer organizers a feeling of distaste. The new DSS was devised to be similar and has now evolved into what you see today, largely community driven, with the guidance of a moderator.

lkbart wrote: »
    ... Also, on the subject of challenge etiquette, it would be nice to have a sticky setting out what's cool & what's not. Not rules - just suggestions, recommendations or guidelines for participating in the challenges.

There is such a thread located as a sticky called: The DGRIN SHARP SHOOTERS (DSS) Challenges (Quick links to all things official)
    Here you will find many tidbits of information and guidelines, as well as the rules. You can also search The Dgrin Challenges forum for years of drama and discussion on almost all of the subjects that come up on a regular basis. Things such as captions, voting for yourself, composites etc.
  • FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    sherstone wrote: »
    ...... a title that enhances your image is part of what makes a good image an even greater one.............

Agreed!

**I love 'a good title' because it's sometimes the additional moment of discovery. The ah-ha moment.
    edited April 8, 2011
    I have updated the rules to include this guideline. (not a rule) mwink.gif

Under number 10. Name Your Entry:
    (Please try to be imaginative with your choice of caption. It is suggested not to use any of the words from a theme in your caption, to give it some spice and individuality. You should also keep your title as short as possible, if you can enhance your image with one to three words it will leave a lasting impression on the person viewing your work.)
  • FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    .............(Please try to be imaginative with your choice of caption. It is suggested not to use any of the words from a theme in your caption, to give it some spice and individuality. You should also keep your title as short as possible, if you can enhance your image with one to three words it will leave a lasting impression on the person viewing your work.)

the mark of 'a good title'.......
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    bowdown.gif Thanks Sean! Of course it's there - this forum is very nicely organized, I just forget to look at what's in front of me sometimes - I do remember reading those months ago! (& I'm glad I looked back at this thread before posting this, cuz I had typed the question Would it be possible ... & you must have read my mind!) Thanks again :)
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2011
    I loved your image indiegirl!

I believe that I am proof that the voting is not a popularity contest.
    I have been a member for less than a month and placed 1st and 4th in the two I have entered. (although I am still surprised with all the amazing images that get entered that I place at all)
    In the limited time I have spent here every person seems to be genuinely interested in the art that photography is.
    When they see something they love they let you know. When they feel they can help you make it better they give advice. The direct advice and lurking I have done here the last month has truly improved my enjoyment and skill in all areas of photography.

I love this place! The challenges are just icing on the cake for me. They really get my mind going in different directions and the advice here is invaluable.

I never thought about having the subject in the title till now. I had it in both my entries but for me it just seemed to fit. But I can understand how that can take away from the photo and plan to think a little harder on the title next time around :)

Thank you again Sean for taking the time to run these challenges. Great job!
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited May 30, 2011
    I remember seeing a thread about the optimum dimensions for entries - to avoid compression - but can't find it now. If I have an image that is currently 5,074 pixels high and 3,039 wide, what should I be aiming for? I usually upload my entries and let Smug Mug handle the rest, but this image has unusual proportions.... Thanks!

Gretchen
    edited May 30, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    I remember seeing a thread about the optimum dimensions for entries - to avoid compression - but can't find it now. If I have an image that is currently 5,074 pixels high and 3,039 wide, what should I be aiming for? I usually upload my entries and let Smug Mug handle the rest, but this image has unusual proportions.... Thanks!

Gretchen

The gallery is set to display XL which is 1024x768. If you resize to 1024 wide and let the height be whatever the value works out to (in this case 613 pixel high), you will be set.

Edit: oops I see now your image is the opposite. So that means... All you can get it 768 pixels high by 460 wide. Smug Mug will still handle it for you without a problem. mwink.gif
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited May 30, 2011
    Preferred Pixel Dimensions for Challenge Entries
    Should I be downsizing my images a bit before uploading entries to dgrin challenges? I remember seeing two threads about this kind of thing and searched to see if I could find them. I found that XL or 1024 by 768 pixels is the maximum size of the entries. Also, that someone uploaded an image that was less than 768 pixels in height and it was then displayed in the entry gallery as a L image, 800 by 600 pixels. I seem to remember Sean talking about this recently and distinguishing between vertical and horizontal orientations. To cut it short, if I was starting with a huge file (ball park 5,000 high by 3,000 wide), what should I aim for when resizing to upload to the entry gallery? headscratch.gif I guess smug mug takes care of the large files and restricts the size to XL, but it would be good to know what the protocol is.

Thanks,
    Gretchen
    edited May 30, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Should I be downsizing my images a bit before uploading entries to dgrin challenges? I remember seeing two threads about this kind of thing and searched to see if I could find them. I found that XL or 1024 by 768 pixels is the maximum size of the entries. Also, that someone uploaded an image that was less than 768 pixels in height and it was then displayed in the entry gallery as a L image, 800 by 600 pixels. I seem to remember Sean talking about this recently and distinguishing between vertical and horizontal orientations. To cut it short, if I was starting with a huge file (ball park 5,000 high by 3,000 wide), what should I aim for when resizing to upload to the entry gallery? headscratch.gif I guess smug mug takes care of the large files and restricts the size to XL, but it would be good to know what the protocol is.

Thanks,
    Gretchen

You can worry about it on your own and resize before uploading or... You can let SmugMug take care of it. The only advantage you will get resizing on your own is if you have a better way to resize than the standard.
    edited May 30, 2011
    You can worry about it on your own and resize before uploading or... You can let SmugMug take care of it. The only advantage you will get resizing on your own is if you have a better way to resize than the standard.

Good to know. Thanks!
    edited May 30, 2011
    There are many ways one can resize an image - 10% Stair Step, all at once, varying the sharpness settings in your software or using a stand alone software package such as this one. Each method will give you varying results.
    edited May 30, 2011
    Resizing Images for Dgrin Challenges
    There are many ways one can resize an image - 10% Stair Step, all at once, varying the sharpness settings in your software or using a stand alone software package such as this one. Each method will give you varying results.

I have LR3 and PSE at home and saw that LR gives you the option to set the pixel dimensions when you export. The stand alone (free) program that you mentioned, looks like another good option.

Many thanks,
    Gretchen
    edited May 30, 2011

FYI - I tested the stand alone program and it looks like it gives a slightly brighter result with my Open Door image. It appears to have a tad more definition than downsizing in Photoshop Elements - all at once. Hard to compare with what Smug Mug does but the stand alone might have the edge.
    edited May 30, 2011
    I used to call the stair step 10% way of resizing, my "secret weapon", but I have since shared the the technique with several other photographers. The stand alone application you just tried out looks like it may even be better than the stair step technique. Thanks for letting us know how it works. :D
    edited May 30, 2011
    I used to call the stair step 10% way of resizing, my "secret weapon", but I have since shared the the technique with several other photographers. The stand alone application you just tried out looks like it may even be better than the stair step technique. Thanks for letting us know how it works. :D

I haven't ever tried the stair step 10% technique, and it might work better. I'd be interested in learning about the technique sometime. While looking up reviews of the stand alone, I read that photographers tend to guard their technique for resizing one step at a time. I also saw some favorable comments about the stand alone as to the results, not necessarily the user interface.

Btw, I didn't upload the result of the stand alone downsizing to the gallery as Smug Mug has seemed to do OK in the past and I have other tasks calling, but I'll continue exploring this.

Gretchen

Edit: I uploaded 3 test images to a Smug Mug album (PSE, the stand alone, and XL saved from Smug Mug). All three files said they had the same dimension re pixels but Smug Mug would/could only display the image generated by the stand alone resizing program as L rather than XL. The other 2 could be viewed as XL. So I'm glad I didn't race to upload the image that I resized with this program. Clearly needs further exploration.
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2011
    I have a question regarding EXIF.
    Since I will be submitting an IR related photo, I do a lot of hue saturation adjustment, and to do that without degrading image quality too much, I need to go to TIFF flow, which unfortunately strips out the EXIF in my tools (Rawtherapee+GIMP)
    I have the direct raw conversion of the same picture with EXIF, but colors will be different.
    IS it possible for me to upload the "EXIF intact verison" to my gallery, and link the exif from there in the comments for the photo I finally upload.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2011
    tsk1979 wrote: »
    I have a question regarding EXIF.
    Since I will be submitting an IR related photo, I do a lot of hue saturation adjustment, and to do that without degrading image quality too much, I need to go to TIFF flow, which unfortunately strips out the EXIF in my tools (Rawtherapee+GIMP)
    I have the direct raw conversion of the same picture with EXIF, but colors will be different.
    IS it possible for me to upload the "EXIF intact verison" to my gallery, and link the exif from there in the comments for the photo I finally upload.

Sure, this is what we always do.

Here for example is my entry on the mega, with the link to the original images:

http://challenges.smugmug.com/Other/DSS-MC-12/17090587_4JpjPH#1300563167_JGK4TFr
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited June 6, 2011
    Thanks photo-bug. So I will just link to the EXIF in the "comments" section :)
    edited June 6, 2011
    tsk1979 wrote: »
    Thanks photo-bug. So I will just link to the EXIF in the "comments" section :)

No, under the title, like I did at the link I gave above - did you take a look?
    Travelways.com
    edited June 6, 2011
    edited June 12, 2011
    Big Update to the Winners Gallery!
    Some of you may be noticing some new images popping up in the second square thumbnail on the header of the forum. It has been a little while since I updated the gallery with all of the amazing winners.

Thanks to a recent update from SmugMug I have started using the "collect photo" function giving automated links to the original gallery. The Virtual gallery collect photo function has been around for quite some time but recently the ability to arrange those collected photos within the virtual gallery was added. This makes things much easier and hopefully it will allow me to stay on top of keeping the gallery updated.

I know it is cool to see your own photo on the header so keep an eye out for your winning images up there. clap.gif
    edited June 12, 2011
    Some of you may be noticing some new images popping up in the second square thumbnail on the header of the forum. It has been a little while since I updated the gallery with all of the amazing winners.

Thanks to a recent update from SmugMug I have started using the "collect photo" function giving automated links to the original gallery. The Virtual gallery collect photo function has been around for quite some time but recently the ability to arrange those collected photos within the virtual gallery was added. This makes things much easier and hopefully it will allow me to stay on top of keeping the gallery updated.

I know it is cool to see your own photo on the header so keep an eye out for your winning images up there. clap.gif

Very cool Sean, thank you for doing this - it looks good clap.gif

BTW: I started to browse a little the gallery and noticed a very weird comment under my entry on this gallery:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/167709#1250483131_MtFLU

It's the las comment, after my thanks. Can you please help me and delete it? I don't want such a thing there.

I hope you will help. Thank you in advance,
    Travelways.com
    edited June 12, 2011
    PS:

Actually the comment is on the entire gallery of all entries eek7.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited June 12, 2011
    Can you please help me and delete it?
    PS:
    Actually the comment is on the entire gallery of all entries eek7.gif

Thank you, I missed it when doing the updates and we certainly do not want such spam type comments. It has been deleted clap.gif