Suggest a Wide Angle for Nikon D700 (FF)

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited May 7, 2012 in Accessories
So I'm beginning to research my next lens purchase. I shoot Nikon. Currently own a D700. Don't plan to upgrade the body any time soon but when I do, it will be for another full-frame sensor.

I'm looking for a wide angle lens. Needs to be FF lens. Focal length for the lens is not that critical but I want it pretty wide. I want something sharp and well made. I'd prefer it to be fast (2.8) but considering I will use this mostly for landscape shots, I don't know if the speed and DOF is really that critical. BTW, I am open to a prime lens. Budget is not an issue.

One option is the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8. My only concern with this lens is that it's almost impossible to use filters, unless they're hand-held.

Any suggestions?
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    I've been very happy with my Nikkor 16-35 f/4. Great value and very sharp. Uses 77mm filters too.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited May 5, 2012
    The Nikkor 14-24mm, f2.8G ED-IF AF-S is just a wonderful wide-angle zoom and unequaled in image quality in its genre. The fact that it doesn't easily take filters should be of lesser consequence if you really need the qualities of this lens.

There are filter solutions available:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/834371-REG/Hitech_HTNWAHN_165mm_Wide_Angle_2_Slot.html

The classic Nikon wide zoom is either:

Nikkor 17-35mm, f2.8D ED-IF AF-S

Nikkor 16-35mm, f4G ED VR AF-S

I believe that both of those allow filters.

There is always the Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm, f2.8 ZF.2, if manual focus will suffice and if you don't need the convenience of a zoom. (82mm filters.)

Finally, for landscapes that allow the technique, a series of stitched images shot with a moderate telephoto or telephoto macro lens, can produce images with a staggering amount of detail and almost any FOV (limited by the quantity of images available for stitching.) It's best to use a well corrected lens to make the overlap as seamless as possible, and to use a panoramic head. Quality freeware is available to do the image stitching, or commercial software is also available.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012

One option is the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8. My only concern with this lens is that it's almost impossible to use filters, unless they're hand-held.

Lee SW150 ? ...

but I'd make my own, considering the price.

pp
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    Hmm... lots of great recommendations. Zig... I use my 24-70mm f/2.8 now for landscape shots and do stitch but I'm really interested in getting a true wide angle. I'd probably use it for other things, not just landscape. I now have the 24-70 and 70-200 so I may just go with the 14-24 to complete the lineup. As my wife would put it, "they would look cute together."

There is a guy that I work with that has the 14-24. He's mentioned a few times that he never uses it. I guess he didn't realize that wide angles don't work so well for shooting snap shots of his kids. I may be able to steal it from him at a good price. We'll see.

My Smug Site
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    I can make a personal recommendation for the 17-35. The 14-24 wasn't practical for the types of work I do. I also use the Cokin system for my filters. There can be some mechanical vignetting at 17mm if you aren't careful, but I've really enjoyed the lens and the filter system.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    I can make a personal recommendation for the 17-35. The 14-24 wasn't practical for the types of work I do. I also use the Cokin system for my filters. There can be some mechanical vignetting at 17mm if you aren't careful, but I've really enjoyed the lens and the filter system.

Can you describe an example of why the 14-24 wasn't practical for the type of work you do?

My Smug Site
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    ditto on 14-24mm. if no that then the tokina 11-16mm which is offfically a DX lens but it works on FF from 14.5 to 16mm range
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    Can you describe an example of why the 14-24 wasn't practical for the type of work you do?

There are a couple of use cases for me.

I'm working on a series that involves daytime long exposure work across a series of focal lengths. Having a common filter system that easily adapts to my primes and zooms has saved me a chunk of change as well as keeping continuity of feel. I don't think (although I could be wrong) that there is a Cokin adaptor ring for the 14-24.

I also really like the 17-35 as a lens when I'm planning on working in tight, either for street, interior and on occasion some forms of portraiture.

I also have the 24-70, but I find I don't use it all that often. I don't like the distortion at the wide-end and I simply prefer my 50mm and 85mm for mid- and longer-end work. The 17-35 fills the longer-end of the wide range with nice characteristics.

The good news is, of course, that they are all nice lenses.
    edited May 7, 2012
    Thanks michswiss. That's very helpful.

UGH. I hate having good choices. I'm really stuck because I will use this lens mostly for landscape shots. I often use filters for these shots the 14-24 will present a hurdle. Thing is, I often handhold my filters so it may not be a big deal. I guess it's going to boil down to what kind of prices I can get. I plan on buying used so which ever I find at a good price for a mint copy, that's the one I'll go for.

My Smug Site