"It is too hard to buy something"

SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited May 5, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I've heard; "It's too hard to buy something from your site" multiple times.
It is generally from people over 40 who have problems.
"There is too many options"
"What is finish"
"I just want a picture!"
"No I don't know what size"

Wow.
Anyone else have this problem???

Comments

• PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    I sell prints on Smugmug for a non-profit I work with (not my personal site) and I used to have this problem. Then I eliminated almost all of the purchasing options!

Now they can only get lustre finish and they can only get 4x6, 8x12, 16x20 and wallets. Maybe that costs us sales, but I doubt it. I has certainly reduced the number of questions!
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    Pupator is right. I browsed quickly to your site and you have a very big problem with causing choice paralysis with your customer. Way, way, way, way too many choices when it comes time to buy a print. Cull it down. Pick a few sizes for prints. Pick one, maybe two paper types. Don't offer everything under the sun. And doing that will NOT cost you sales, it will gain you sales.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    I got rid of everything but lustre too and limit the sizes. I still get that comment from some people but they are all relatives - not usually customers ;)
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2012
    I've heard; "It's too hard to buy something from your site" multiple times.

I can see why.

Are your main clients over or under 40's?
    If the majority are under, I wouldn't worry too much.

If they are over, You have a big problem. For each comment you are hearing there is probably 20 you don't.

Some people I have experienced seem to have trouble with the self same questions on a checkout they have no issues with on paper. I guess you are never going to make everyone happy so aim for your target market and don't stress the rest.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2012
    I leave all at luster only, and only in sizes which fit the aspect ratio of the picture correctly. Also on prints worth printing on metal for fine art, I'll leave that option open, too. I was even confused by the system for awhile til I cut down the options, and I am a very technically adept person. They've revised the cart to be MUCH easier to use since a few years ago, but I can see places where it might not be intuitive for those that aren't very tech savvy.
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    I simplified mine also, but I left "glossy" as an option. Any particular reason why you all chose to leave only "luster"?
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    Many of us consider lustre to be the best of both worlds. It has the shine of glossy and the durability of matte. Most buyers don't know what it is but it's probably the finish they'd prefer.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    I use luster because it doesn't turn the paper surface into a mirror like glossy does. Its much easier to see the print, while also keeping the contrast and color quality of glossy.

Ever try to edit photos on a high gloss screen with ANY light around you? You'll want to toss it out the window. Matte screens are better for this reason, too, unless you can use a gloss in a pitch black environment. It drives me crazy that so many notebook computers are given glossy screens as if they're better. Its a lame marketing thing :nah