New smug site

Mr_WiggMr_Wigg Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited January 15, 2010 in The Big Picture
www.mrwigg.smugmug.com Tell me whatcha think.

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    The big proof watermark right smack in the middle just ruins any viewing enjoyment.:(:

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Mr_WiggMr_Wigg Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    I know right. I sure wish it was smaller or not quite so thick. What should I do about it?
  • BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Mr_Wigg wrote:
    I know right. I sure wish it was smaller or not quite so thick. What should I do about it?

Either change it to a less visible WM or you can lower the opacity to make it only slightly visible but still serve it's purpose.

I assume these watermarks were added during your import of the photos via smug mug? If so, you can find the Opacity setting for watermarks in there.
    edited January 15, 2010
    Bsimon wrote:
    Either change it to a less visible WM or you can lower the opacity to make it only slightly visible but still serve it's purpose.

I assume these watermarks were added during your import of the photos via smug mug? If so, you can find the Opacity setting for watermarks in there.

Thank You very much Bsimon! That water mark thing has been bothering me and preventing me from introducing my new homepage. I'll go to work on it right now.

I felt pretty smart about photography until I found dgrin. Talk about getting knocked down a few knotches! WOW! you guys really know your stuff! I've got tons to learn I see. Thanks a million, wig out.
    edited January 15, 2010
    Ok I found a better watermark and set the fade to 50%. Much better!

I was wondering if there is a way to set up my smugmug homepage www.mrwigg.smugmug.com to automaticly watermark all my photos that I download without me having to manually do it to each album?
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited January 15, 2010
    Mr_Wigg wrote:
    Ok I found a better watermark and set the fade to 50%. Much better!
    Sorry, that's not better.

You should design your own watermark. And think about your viewer. It takes a lot to convince me to bother to look at photos with an annoying watermark smack in the center of the photo. If you are selling in an environment where people are likely to grab screen shots or steal photos from the buffer then you may need a blocking type of watermark, but it really depends on the environment you are in.

--- Denise
    edited January 15, 2010
    Thanks for the advice Denise. I really appreciate your candor. I took a look at your photos and I see you put your name in the corner. That is awesome. Making my own watermark will be in my future for sure but right now I am a little overwhelmed.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    Moved to 'the big picture'.
    edited January 15, 2010
    Mr_Wigg wrote:
    Making my own watermark will be in my future for sure but right now I am a little overwhelmed.
    You might find this tutorial helpful - Create Transparent Watermarks in Photoshop.

I used Gimp to create my watermark, it's a bit different but the tutorial still sent me off in the right direction.

--- Denise
    edited January 15, 2010
    At the moment I don't have any editing software like PhotoShop. Should I buy Gimp instead or whats the difference?
    edited January 15, 2010
    Mr_Wigg wrote:
    At the moment I don't have any editing software like PhotoShop. Should I buy Gimp instead or whats the difference?
    Gimp is free, so that's probably the best starting point.
    http://www.gimp.org/

--- Denise
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2010
    I see you get your "proof" watermark idea from Art S. He is so paranoid that he has PROOF across his Avatar pic and his logo completely covers most of his pics!:D
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 15, 2010
    Mr. Wigg

At the top of the "Mind Your Own Business" forum is a sticky thread titled "Photographer's Resources" where you find info about the proper notice methods. What you're doing currently doesn't really cover you - you need to use one of the standards such as:

C 2009 Your Name