Publish to Facebook - Beta

MSkaffariMSkaffari Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
edited October 26, 2011 in SmugMug Support
[IMGR]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-6NmPPVk/0/S/i-6NmPPVk-S.jpg[/IMGR]

One of the top requests we've gotten over the years is for you to be able to easily export your SmugMug photos into albums on Facebook. We've been working hard on this and we're ready to let you test it out.

Like our new gallery style thread, you can opt in to enable this beta feature in your browser. It works the same way:
1. Visit our Goodies page here: http://www.smugmug.com/goodies/
2. Click the green 'JOIN' button next to the Publish to Facebook section.
3. If you're on a custom domain you'll need to visit the /goodies/ page on your custom URL, too.
4. Leave at any time by hitting the 'LEAVE' button and we'll remove the new features from your view.
Once you've joined, visit any of your galleries and hit the Share button. You should see a new "Publish to Facebook" option under the Owner Only options.

Click it and choose the photos from your gallery that you want to share. We'll give you a chance to pick which Album to publish to, or you can create a new one. Feel free to also customize the Image size, Caption and Link Style settings.

Hit Publish and we'll port them over to the album of your choice.

Love it? Hate it? Spot a bug? Let us know right here in this thread.

EDIT: New features added! Get details here.

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    This has been a big request for a while. Hope you like it thumb.gif
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Super work guys! thumb.gif Love the UI for this. I'm not on fb so I can't test it out, but it's got the options I'd be looking for.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • kathiemtkathiemt Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    I have some questions. When it publishes to Facebook it's only to a profile and not a page, yes?

What size image is being published to Facebook and will it include our watermark? I want to protect my images and don't publish anything at Facebook without it being a low res image and watermarked.
  • scotticusscotticus Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    You get to pick the image size, so you can chose a nice small low-res one. You can only publish to personal Facebook albums, no pages. If your photos are watermarked, than they will be published with one, but you can't apply a watermark to a photo as you're publishing to Facebook.

kathiemt wrote: »
    I have some questions. When it publishes to Facebook it's only to a profile and not a page, yes?

What size image is being published to Facebook and will it include our watermark? I want to protect my images and don't publish anything at Facebook without it being a low res image and watermarked.
  • albiealbie Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 22, 2011
    Awesome feature ... thanks so much for that!

just one request... Needs a select all button! :) or if it's greater than 200 photos in the gallery, it should select the first 200 photos.
  • scotticusscotticus Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    There should be a select all button on the bottom:
    https://img.skitch.com/20110722-d28w9b879a6g6pdc5ywat4tfht.jpg

I think if you have more than 200 photos, you don't get the button though.

albie wrote: »
    Awesome feature ... thanks so much for that!

just one request... Needs a select all button! :) or if it's greater than 200 photos in the gallery, it should select the first 200 photos.
  • albiealbie Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 22, 2011
    ah you're right thanks for that...

Just been playing around with it on a few galleries, I love it :)

Just a couple of other suggestions

In the photo description - would it be possible to stick in an image owners copyright tag (ie "Copyright Albie Abiog - In2Events.com 2011"), the metadata should be within the image for this to happen. Thats pretty much my only request.

also for those interested, this is how the images show up on facebook.
    screenshot20110722at322.png

Done using the following settings:
    image size: medium
    Include captions
    Link style: lightbox link
    Short URLs.
  • kathiemtkathiemt Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    scotticus wrote: »
    You get to pick the image size, so you can chose a nice small low-res one. You can only publish to personal Facebook albums, no pages. If your photos are watermarked, than they will be published with one, but you can't apply a watermark to a photo as you're publishing to Facebook.

Thanks for answering so quickly. So, just to clarify, the watermark I have showing at smugmug will be included. You're saying that I can't add one at Facebook? That I knew, but just wanted to be sure that's what you were saying.
  • apexonephotoapexonephoto Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    scotticus wrote: »

I'd have to say, I really like the UI and connection between them. Are fan pages going to be possible? Right now I just shared the album with my page, but I'd prefer to keep them only on the page if possible.
  • mtnbikermtnbiker Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    great, saves me a TON of time
    thanks
  • skyoftexasskyoftexas Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 22, 2011
    "You are not the owner of this album."
    This is the message I get when I click on the Share with Facebook button. What's up?
  • jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Are you planning to add the ability to publish to Pages, not just Personal Profiles?

PS- I love that it keeps the watermark!!! But would want that for my Page, not my Personal stuff!
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • dberthiadberthia Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    I'm not seeing any of the bottom buttons (Select All, etc) in the latest Chrome dev build (v14). I have fewer than 200 photos in the gallery.
  • cal_geckocal_gecko Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    One of the many reasons I love Smugmug and have been using your services for the past 6 years... you are constantly trying to improve your services offered and give us (the photographers) more options to show off and sell our work.

I LOVE this new feature.. I tried it last night, and as some other people have mentioned, it would be really nice to be able to publish to a "Page" versus a personal page.. I have a page setup for my photography business, and I have my personal page, so this is why it would be even better for me to be able to publish my Smugmug album to my photography fan page.

Additionally, I LOVE the options to put a link to the gallery, lightbox image or a link to buy each individual image.. that is AWESOME.

You guys are clearly listening closely to your customers, and trying to make us happy. I'd say you're succeeding! Thank you for your efforts!!!!
    Canon 5D MkIII
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS
    Canon 17-40 f/4L
    Sennheiser MKE400 shotgun Mic
  • RoyboyProductionsRoyboyProductions Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 22, 2011
    I'll put another vote in for publishing to a page :) it works great for going to my personal page though, thanks!
  • jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    I have 2 facebook accounts - one for JC Dill Photography, one for personal stuff. (I opted to do this instead of creating a Page on my regular account, so that I can control notifications separately, going to separate email accounts. Also so that I can keep a clear demarcation between work and not-work.)

How do I change which FB account is linked to my Smugmug account? When I go to Control Panel -> Settings -> Social Settings -> View your Social Accounts, the only account listed is Twitter.

+1 for adding a way to publish to a fan Page.
    +1 for an option to append copyright from metadata to the caption. (I don't know if I'll use it, but I'd like to have the option.)
    +1 for adding a quick button option to select the first 200 photos when the gallery has more than 200 images.
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • jcdilljcdill Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    dberthia wrote: »
    I'm not seeing any of the bottom buttons (Select All, etc) in the latest Chrome dev build (v14). I have fewer than 200 photos in the gallery.

Check your scripting options. I didn't see the bottom buttons on Firefox, until I enabled scripting for Facebook. I run Firefox with scripting turned off for most sites. (I use Safari when I need to see a site without scripting restrictions.)
    JC Dill - Equine Photographer, San Francisco & San Jose http://portfolio.jcdill.com
    "Chance favors the prepared mind." ~ Ansel Adams
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett
  • MSkaffariMSkaffari Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Thank you for the feedback so far.

We are looking into possibilities for publishing galleries to your page in addition to personal gallery.

Keep the feedback coming. We want to find as many issues as possible as fast as possible so that we can release this option to all customers.
  • frogcakefrogcake Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    Hmm. Facebook inexplicably bans my app and now SmugMug releases a Facebook import feature a few weeks later...

Looks good though.
  • dennisgolferdennisgolfer Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 22, 2011
    FB interface
    I too got the message about not being the owner but after closing IE and reopening a few times it worked for some reason.

+1 for posting to Pages

Good stuff, though.
    edited July 22, 2011
    jcdill wrote: »
    Check your scripting options. I didn't see the bottom buttons on Firefox, until I enabled scripting for Facebook. I run Firefox with scripting turned off for most sites. (I use Safari when I need to see a site without scripting restrictions.)

After reading your post, I realized that I'm running a Chrome extension that might be blocking this. Sure enough, I disabled the extension, and now I see all the buttons. In case anyone's interested, it's the WidgetBlock extension.
  • m a r km a r k Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2011
    This is awesome and is going to save me so much time in the future.

Thankswings.gif
    edited July 22, 2011
    Is there any way to control the link text that displays when viewing the photos in Facebook? For instance, it would be nice to have the link text say something like "View this photo on SmugMug" instead of displaying the url.
    edited July 22, 2011
    dberthia wrote: »
    Is there any way to control the link text that displays when viewing the photos in Facebook? For instance, it would be nice to have the link text say something like "View this photo on SmugMug" instead of displaying the url.

Not at the moment, but we will take this into consideration when finalizing the feature. Thank you for your feedback
  • rtgrinnerrtgrinner Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 22, 2011
    I get the nasty-gram saying I'm not the owner.
    edited July 22, 2011
    rtgrinner wrote: »
    I get the nasty-gram saying I'm not the owner.

Could you point me to the gallery where you tried to publish from? I'll get someone to figure out what's going on. Thanks
    edited July 22, 2011
    MSkaffari wrote: »
    Could you point me to the gallery where you tried to publish from? I'll get someone to figure out what's going on. Thanks

Here it is....

Thanks....
    edited July 22, 2011

Here it is....

Thanks....

Just one other bit of information: I am currently in South Africa working on a "real job" project. Due some bizarre restrictions I am actually blocked from certain accounts like MediaFire. So far, I haven't had problems work on my smugmug site, except a poor connection. Anyway....just a thought. But you can't share this with who has been assigned to investigate my problem. I would hate to deprive anyone one of a chance to be a hero.
    edited July 22, 2011
    Just one other bit of information: I am currently in South Africa working on a "real job" project. Due some bizarre restrictions I am actually blocked from certain accounts like MediaFire. So far, I haven't had problems work on my smugmug site, except a poor connection. Anyway....just a thought. But you can't share this with who has been assigned to investigate my problem. I would hate to deprive anyone one of a chance to be a hero.

Thank you. All information can help us nail the problem. I'll make sure the Sorcerer has this also.
  • KJIKJI Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 22, 2011
    It worked like a charm for me!
This discussion has been closed.