Andy/Baldy - feed me

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited February 17, 2011 in The Big Picture
I'm ready for a change - would either of you guys care to explain your diet/nutrition philosophy and point me in the right direction? I need to drop 20 (30 would be better) and get healthier in general.

I'd appreciate it -

----

Mod edit: Link to the gallery of recipes is here, for easy findability! Additionally, here is the TasteBook of submitted recipes for those who wish to purchase a hard copy for the shelves. A work in progress!

Comments

• patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    I would also be curious to hear what you are currently eating regularly and what you have given up. :eat
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Patch andy gave up meat.

He's on the china study.

http://www.thechinastudy.com/about.html
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    wow - one more reason to love smugmug ... veg*ns!

I've never heard of the China Study, but I'm glad it made such an impact on those who have read it. 8 years of a "mixed" marriage and my husband has gone from wanting meat at every meal, to consuming meat only outside of our home. I haven't weaned him from cheese and milk yet, but baby steps mwink.gif his health continues to improve, beyond just the physical.

Wishing you the best and much success on your healthful endeavor, whichever road you take to get there.

iloveyou.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Lots to read, I recommend

The China Study and
    Eat to Live

Feel free to drop us a note and we'd love to send you a copy :)

Now, as to practical use:

I gave up eating animal products (save for a little half & half in my coffee, and I'm working on giving that up lol3.gif ) 6 months ago. That means, I don't eat: Cheese, Milk, Ice Cream, Butter, Poultry, Fish, Pork, Beef, Venison, Lizard, Snake or anything that is an animal or was an animal.

I do eat: Whole Grains, Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Beans, and Fresh Vegetables. So, here's what I eat:

Breakfasts: Granola with Fruit. Whole wheat toast with 100% real fruit jam. Raw fruits (grapefruit, oranges, berries, bananas, papayas, mangoes, melons, apples). Whole wheat pancakes with real maple syrup. Oatmeal with nuts and dried fruits.

Lunches: Sandwiches? No problem. Whole Wheat pita is my staple, I can jam lots in there lol3.gif I stuff 'em with sprouts, lettuce, carrots, etc. In my fridge are many kinds of hummus - love the stuff. Also edamame salads. Bean salads. Black bean dip. I love veggie burritos (black beans, rice, salsa, onions, olives, lettuce, mmmmm). Lunch can also just be a huge salad, I might have a whole head of romaine lettuce with accompanying veggies. Peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat in a pinch works.

Dinners: Ethnic food, ftw! Love Indian - vegetable pekora, samosas, biryani, vindaloo. Mexican (see lunch). Whole grain rices and wraps. Chile! We make 4 or 5 different kinds of vegetarian Chile. One pot bean dishes that are amazing. Italian! Whole grain pastas, with garlic, basil, olive oil. Mmmm. Of course, a huge salad, too. Now that it's summer, been eating a plate of fresh tomatoes, basil, cucumbers with Balsamic vinegar and some kosher salt (a pinch). Fresh corn on the cob. Grilling! Oh we grill corn, zucchini, carrots, portobello mushrooms, you name it.

Snacks: raisins; sesame sticks; raw veggies; dried fruits; whole grain chips w/ homemade salsa.

I eat all day long and I'm never hungry. I have lost 50lbs since January 1st 2007. I feel better than I have in 20 years.

I don't miss much of anything, though I expect I'll add cheese back in my diet eventually (in moderation) because it just goes so well with so many things. We'll see.

I totally stay away from all fast foods, and anything processed. No refined sugars or staches. No white bread, white rice, white flour, no processed carbohydrates.

Does this help?
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Does this help?
    Yup, that's exactly what I needed. I couldn't remember the China Study so my searches didn't get any hits except for this: :D

33196147-M.jpg

I'm curious about Baldy, I know he eats lots of fish. Does he do dairy as well, or is it pretty much what you do plus fish?

Thanks a bunch -
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I recommend
    Beans, many kinds of hummus - love the stuff. Bean salads. Black bean dip. I love veggie burritos (black beans, rice, salsa, onions, olives, lettuce, mmmmm). Chile! We make 4 or 5 different kinds of vegetarian Chile. One pot bean dishes that are amazing.

:whew
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited July 11, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Lots to read, I recommend

The China Study and
    Eat to Live

That means, I don't eat: Cheese, Milk, Ice Cream, Butter, Poultry, Fish, Pork, Beef, Venison, Lizard, Snake or anything that is an animal or was an animal.

Does this help?

Wow. I knew it was based on The China Study, which I have picked up from the library and need to read.

I was curious how far the diet goes and it sounds like 100% Vegan, not sure I can give up all of that.

Impressive results though.

How do you manage to eat healthy and vegan while traveling?
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    I was curious how far the diet goes and it sounds like 100% Vegan, not sure I can give up all of that.

Both things I'm courious about as well. As much as it sounds good and something I'd be interested in trying, I just can't see myself not eating fish or chicken a few times a week. And seeing as I'm busy most of the time, the eating healthy while traveling is of big interest.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
    edited July 11, 2007
    patch29 wrote:

Most towns/cities have a health foods store or Whole Foods. So, I stop there for portable foods :)

Going out? Not a problem. Salads are everywhere. Then, I can also do fine at most any ethnic restaurant: Mexican, Indian, Italian, Mediterranean, etc.

It's not hard at all, when you focus on it, and plan for it.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Indian,

Hmmmm...butter chicken :eat
    edited July 11, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    ...not sure I can give up all of that.
    I'm with you, but I think if I keep fish and a wee bit of dairy... ne_nau.gif I'm gonna give it a shot.
  • stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    And seeing as I'm busy most of the time, the eating healthy while traveling is of big interest.

I do a lot of travelling. It can initially be trying to work ANY new diet into a busy schedule, but before long you'll find a system that works for you .. whether it's locating a HFS in your host city, or just planning ahead and packing stuff to bring with you. Just expect a transition period, and be okay easing into a new way of doing things thumb.gif .

I think for most people, it's an easier pill to swallow if you make a gradual switch from an omnivorous diet to an herbivorous diet. It gives you time to wean off of a staple favorite rather than quitting cold (soy analog mwink.gif )turkey, while also providing ample but not overwhelming opportunity to experiment with new and different foods. Think of it not as a diet, but a lifestyle change ~ it's worth doing slow and steady.
    edited July 11, 2007
    Andy is your family on your diet? ear.gif
    edited July 11, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    Andy is your family on your diet? ear.gif
    Wife yes, though she didn't need to lose an ounce.

Trevor, not so much, though we try thumb.gif
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I'm ready for a change - would either of you guys care to explain your diet/nutrition philosophy and point me in the right direction? I need to drop 20 (30 would be better) and get healthier in general.

I'd appreciate it -

You should always consult a Dr before you go on "diets"
    Also you cannot afford to be a fussy eater if you cut Meat out of your diet, you must suppliment it, and this is were a lot of vegetarians go wrong.

Man if you could see the amount of slips that come through our Pathology Lab that say "vegetarian" you'd be shocked.

If your going to go Vegetarian you have to do it properly.

Nothing wrong with being a Vegetarian if you do it properly :D
    ........ Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 11, 2007
    Congratulations Andy! Truly inspiring.
    edited July 11, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    Congratulations Andy! Truly inspiring.

I had help - Baldy is sorta influential, yknow? naughty.gif

DJ - and anyone "on the fence" - it's truly a life-changing thing. Holler anytime if you have questions!
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Are you talking about Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman?

I'll tell ya, I've lost and gained weight several times and right now am on a gain. The weights starting to bug me a lot! I've been through quite a few tests lately because I haven't felt well and everything seems fine heart and health wise.

Need a change myself!
    edited July 11, 2007
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Are you talking about Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman?

I'll tell ya, I've lost and gained weight several times and right now am on a gain. The weights starting to bug me a lot! I've been through quite a few tests lately because I haven't felt well and everything seems fine heart and health wise.

Need a change myself!
    http://www.drfuhrman.com/

To me, It just makes sense. It's not a diet. Not like Atkins, South Beach, or Zone. There's no company behind this. And it's not a "craze" or a "fad."
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 11, 2007
    Hahaha, we've actually had great fun doing this. Our weekly Farm Fresh to You order just arrived at SmugMug HQ and we tore into it like a pack of wolves.

In the beginning, we all thought it would mean missing out on yummy foods and having to chew on stuff like celery... But 3.5 of my kids, their 4 spouses, and two dozen of our friends are loving it -- and the results are amazing.

Here are the books I read and loved:

The China Study
    Eat to Live
    Healthy at 100
    The Omnivore's Dilemma
    Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease

All are by massively respected authors who provide lots of data and examples.

The bottom line for me is I eat whole plants and some fish.

The unexpected surprise is your tastes adjust and you lose your cravings as long as you don't moderate too much. It's amazing how you can come to love colorful whole fruits and vegetables, legumes, nuts, and whole grains when you get the recipes down and your body used to them. And how your weight and blood lipids plunge and how much better you feel.

The key is this formula:

health = nutrition / calorie

An awful lot of nutrition is non-caloric, such as fiber, vitamins, anti-oxidants, etc. An awful lot of foods have those stripped out or are loaded with oils and sugars, which have essentially no nutition.
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    http://www.drfuhrman.com/

To me, It just makes sense. It's not a diet. Not like Atkins, South Beach, or Zone. There's no company behind this. And it's not a "craze" or a "fad."

Thanks Andy, think I'll check into this.
    edited July 11, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    You should always consult a Dr before you go on "diets"
    Also you cannot afford to be a fussy eater if you cut Meat out of your diet, you must suppliment it, and this is were a lot of vegetarians go wrong.

Man if you could see the amount of slips that come through our Pathology Lab that say "vegetarian" you'd be shocked.

If your going to go Vegetarian you have to do it properly.

Nothing wrong with being a Vegetarian if you do it properly :D
    ........ Skippy
    Thanks Skippy! I am not seeing this as a "diet". I did Atkins in the past and I think that's way overboard, and certainly more potentially dangerous if done wrong than what I am thinking about doing. I'm not going to be a strict vegan.

I read some things Baldy said about it elsewhere and it just made sense to me. If I'm at someone's house and they are serving meat, I'll have a bit. Otherwise I'll eat lots of other stuff, and make sure I get lots of protein from other sources. I'm going to go "cold soy" as Stirfry put it :D, but if I slide once in a while I'm not going to beat myself up about it. And a little dairy mixed in should be okay, too.
    edited July 11, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I had help - Baldy is sorta influential, yknow? naughty.gif

DJ - and anyone "on the fence" - it's truly a life-changing thing. Holler anytime if you have questions!

Thanks Andy, I will ask lots of dumb questions so be prepared. And it looks like there's a few folks interested in this too so I'll post 'em here. "No PM's" is a good rule - everybody can benefit. deal.gif
    edited July 11, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    The bottom line for me is I eat whole plants and some fish.

The unexpected surprise is your tastes adjust and you lose your cravings as long as you don't moderate too much. It's amazing how you can come to love colorful whole fruits and vegetables, legumes, nuts, and whole grains when you get the recipes down and your body used to them. And how your weight and blood lipids plunge and how much better you feel.

The key is this formula:

health = nutrition / calorie

Thanks Baldy, I'm going to give it a go following your lead. Although I may skip any sport with "Ultra" in the title. mwink.gif
    edited July 11, 2007
    Here's a few dumb questions to start with until I can start reading -

1. What do you drink? I imagine my staple (Diet Coke) is pretty much out. I'm not big on teas, and plain water gets old fast. Alcohol would be no biggie for me to skip, though.

2. What salad dressings are decent? Oil and vinegar only would be a tough one for me. (But I'll do it if I have to.)

3. All lettuce's are not created equal, right? I eat romaine and iceburg mainly, but I assume iceburg is worthless and romaine is decent, no?

4. How about a big bowl of Wheaties or shredded wheat or something? Too processed?

(told you they'd be dumb)
  • TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Baldy and Andy: Bravo on eating so healthily. Did you like veggies and fruit before you started the China Study or did they grow on you as you got into this change in habits?

My biggest problem is I really loathe the texture and taste of most vegetables...especially raw. Even fruit beyond strawberries and pineapple isn't appealing. My pallette is very limited. My best effort to date is replacing bad carbs with good and eating chicken and turkey almost exclusively.

This way of eating makes perfect sense and the vision of snacking on a carrot rather than a candy bar is dreamy. I can't stomach the carrot, so I just dropped the candy bar.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
    edited July 11, 2007
    Baldy wrote:

Thanks for the tips, all of these are available from my library. Time to get reading and eating healthier.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    4010088.jpg

8687222.jpg

26110821.jpg

27226382.jpg

4174330.jpg

25586257.jpg

26021855.jpg

30336366.jpg

Look at the happy scenes above and below is a picture of a vegan

27989534.jpg
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    More dumb questions
    What about nuts -- aren't they too fatty?

I don't like crunchy or crispy food. So no chips for me, and I'm not wild about nuts either.

What do you drink? I don't mind green tea, and a tea/lemonade mixture, and since I don't eat fruit -- fruit smoothies would be great... I do like melons..

Just trying to think how to fit this in.

I should mention I don't usually eat red meat, and we eat low fat already due to DH's heart condition. I actually don't miss red meat, except maybe every 3 months. But what about my salmon and shrimp?

And I have to give up sushi???? No, not sushi!

I have lactose intolerance so won't miss lots of cheese, or ice cream, or yogurt, or creamy stuff.

The hardest thing would be giving up my Dr Pepper!

Does a vegan diet help with acid reflux?

Will giving up chicken (the only meat I eat regularly) really cause me to lose weight?

What about bread? (I do like wraps and pita bread).

No cake? No sweets?
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    Too funny Harry
    You know, I rarely eat fries anymore, I ask that they substitute salad!

Thinking about all this, I'm a third of the way there already...