fEE Error on nikon d7000, aperture ring is already locked

jrsjrs Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited March 6, 2013 in Cameras
Hi All-

I am having trouble with my wife's d7000 and 50mm f/1.8 D nikon lens. Note that this combination has worked before.

The lens is set to f/22, with the aperture ring locked. When I put it on the camera the display shows 'fEE', which is supposed to be "Lens aperture ring is not set to minimum aperture" (which, it is). The DX 35 works fine.

I also have a d90 body- and the lens works fine on that, as-is. I don't have any other "D" lenses laying around.

Any other ideas?

How does this setting get communicated to the camera for a D lens? is it electronic, or mechanical? Nothing LOOKS wrong in the camera lens mount area.

Thanks,

-jamie

Comments

• jrsjrs Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited February 19, 2011
    note- Not that I thought that it would, but updating the firmware to 1.01 didn't help
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,763 moderator
    edited February 19, 2011
    You might try "racking" the 50mm lens aperture through its range, from smallest through largest and then back to smallest aperture, and then locking the aperture. Since the lens works fine on your D90 I suspect that there is a problem with the D7000 and I suggest sending it in to Nikon service with a detailed description of the problem.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited February 19, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    You might try "racking" the 50mm lens aperture through its range, from smallest through largest and then back to smallest aperture, and then locking the aperture. Since the lens works fine on your D90 I suspect that there is a problem with the D7000 and I suggest sending it in to Nikon service with a detailed description of the problem.

I wil try that a few times once my wife gets back w/ the body, and will post the results.
    edited February 19, 2011
    jrs wrote: »
    I wil try that a few times once my wife gets back w/ the body, and will post the results.

I moved it back and forth several times, to no avail.

I am going to try to go to a store tomorrow, with the lens and body, to see which is at fault.

Thanks for the help! Will let you know what happens.
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2011
    Have you tried a factory reset of the D7000? You probably already have, but if you're going to take the body in anyway, might as well try and make sure some strange setting wasn't changed.
    edited February 21, 2011
    Factory reset didn't help either. I shipped it off to Nikon today...

Hopefully they will figure out what is wrong. I will post an update when it gets back.

They are saying 7-10 days.
  • expatCanuckexpatCanuck Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 30, 2011
    jrs wrote: »
    Factory reset didn't help either. I shipped it off to Nikon today...

Hopefully they will figure out what is wrong. I will post an update when it gets back.

They are saying 7-10 days.

JRS - Any word back from Nikon as to the issue?
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    it must be set at maximum
    usually the number on the lens is colored
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    I had the same error with that lens and the D7000. Setting it on the colored aperture before locking was the key. I don't have it in front of me, but I don't think it was f/22.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    Pupator wrote: »
    I had the same error with that lens and the D7000. Setting it on the colored aperture before locking was the key. I don't have it in front of me, but I don't think it was f/22.
    On a 50mm f/1.4 the smallest aperture is f/16, but on the f/1.8 it is indeed f/22.

The OP has already understood that the aperture should be locked at the "colored" setting, and this didn't fix the problem. It is probably a communication error between the lens and the camera...

It could have been that the contacts of the lens / body needed cleaning, but now that it has been a few months hopefully we'll know the truth soon. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    Just busted out my nifty 50 for fun on the D7k and lo' and behold it acts just like my old D90. It does "fee" when the aperture isn't locked to f/22 but it's otherwise good.

On a sidenote, having a 24-70 and 70-200 reminded me how freakin' loud the 50mm is when it focuses. Good lord it's loud!

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2011
    Doh. That's what I get for not looking at the date!
    On a 50mm f/1.4 the smallest aperture is f/16, but on the f/1.8 it is indeed f/22.

The OP has already understood that the aperture should be locked at the "colored" setting, and this didn't fix the problem. It is probably a communication error between the lens and the camera...

It could have been that the contacts of the lens / body needed cleaning, but now that it has been a few months hopefully we'll know the truth soon. :-)

=Matt=
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2011
    Pupator wrote:
    Setting it on the colored aperture before locking was the key.

Good one rolleyes1.giflol3.gifthumb
  • johnstonw1johnstonw1 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 8, 2011
    I too have this exact issue, mine works with old AI lenses fine and G lenses. My 50mm 1.8 (with it lock at f/22) does the same. Hoping to find a solution besides sending my body in for repair.
  • NYC amateurNYC amateur Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 1, 2011
    fEE error with 50mm lens
    Hi All-

I had the exact same problem. Though my D7000 and 50mm Nikon lens had worked before, they stopped working together. When I mounted the 50mm lens I got the fEE error. My lens worked on other cameras and my camera worked with other lenses.

I took the camera in for repair. Turns out there was a broken part in the camera lens mount area. The part number is 1H998-164. It is a small plastic part that is about half a centimeter wide at its narrowest point. Shows you how delicate these cameras are.
    PhotoTech at 97 Nassau Street in New York replaced the part. The tech there, JC, saved me from having to ship the camera to Nikon.
    edited July 1, 2011
    Here is the broken part
    Here is a picture of the broken part. I am a bit disappointed that my new (less than six weeks old) DSLR is so delicate. This part is 1-1/2" long and very thin. It breaks easily. Handle these Nikons with care.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,763 moderator
    edited July 1, 2011
    Thanks "NYC amateur" for the information and thanks for the part number. Hopefully this will help others. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited July 1, 2011
    Thanks Ziggy53! I hope it will help others. One thing: I took the picture with my new Nikkor micro 105mm lens. In the photo I think the part looks bigger than it actually is! It's only about 1-1/2 inches long and really thin in the center where it broke.
  • AngelsssAngelsss Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 13, 2012
    i had the same
    i had the same error

i swich the button off the lock and the error was gone

Angelsss
  • haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    Angelsss wrote: »
    i had the same error

i swich the button off the lock and the error was gone

Angelsss

It may be silly but did you try cleaning the lens connection ports? I usually use an rubber eraser.
  • SkidaddlSkidaddl Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 28, 2012
    Hi There,

I also ran into this same problem with my D7000 using a Tokina 100mm macro lens where fEE was flashing and the camera wouldn't shoot a picture or allow me to change settings using the thumbwheel, etc.. I found the aperture ring had inadvertently been turned, and like others have said, I turned it back to the colored aperture setting (32 in this case) and voila - it works fine again!
  • JorgeJJorgeJ Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 6, 2013
    FEE message solution to 50mm 1.8D
    All you have to do is to set f6: Customize Command Dials / Aperture setting to OFF. Hope it helps!