Critique my site

ChrisFLChrisFL Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited April 24, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
Hey guys, well, like the site intro says, I'm a grad student. Some of my friends have been riding me for a while to get serious about my images. Selling my first print was kind of mind blowing. I don't have a need to make things more serious at the moment, too busy with school.

Oh, and if this is against the rules, I apologize, not trying to advertise, just get feedback.

http://olasanaflora.blogspot.com/

Comments

• kevingearykevingeary Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2012
    If you want to get serious, then get a serious website. Because what you have there screams amateur. Nothing free is going to serve you well. You're going to have to pay to get this done right.
  • ChrisFLChrisFL Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2012
    Thanks Kevin. I appreciate the outside input. My brother is a website guy (professional), I may talk to him about pursuing it further.
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    If I understand it correctly, what you have is a blog (apologise if I am mistaken).
    I would expect to see galleries containing catagorised images / easy navigation controls to get my way around the galleries.
    Maybe take a look at a bunch of photography websites by DGrin members. Take a note of the features that you like (and would include in your website) and features you are not comfortable with (to avoid).
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    Your Pics are very Nice but I don't understand the question or what you are looking for?

" have been riding me for a while to get serious about my images. ...
    I don't have a need to make things more serious at the moment, .

Umm so what is it you are wanting to do, get serious or not?

If you are wanting to get serious, then you have a great asset in your brother.
    If not, what the hell does it matter what your site looks like?

Not trying to be rude ( and sorry if I am) just trying to understand what you want and the help if any you are after?
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited April 23, 2012
    You can improve the looks and organization of your site without moving away from a blog - at least until you decide what you want out of your site. Your post is not clear at all about that.

I keep my browser zoom at 100%. At that zoom level the text on your site looks pixelated - both your title and the actual posts.

By using the full width of the browser window for your posts you are forcing your viewer to scroll to the bottom of the page to see any more content. That is not a user-friendly design. You might want to consider a different layout.

You can use browser labels to categorize your posts.

Using a black background for your site and a black background for your flower photos doesn't work. It leaves unnatural straight lines at the edges of the image. It's normal for things in photos to be cut off, but to me it's not normal to have the background of the image blend with the background for the site.

Even on a decent sized monitor I had to scroll to see your portrait-oriented images. Forcing a user to scroll to see a single photo is not a good design. If you hadn't asked for a critique I would have left the site right away because of that.

--- Denise
    edited April 23, 2012
    Hi Guys and gals,

I basically wanted exactly what you're giving me. Look at the site and tell me what runs through your head. Thanks Denise, that was an awesome post, I really appreciate it.
    edited April 23, 2012
    I adjusted all of the image sizes.
    edited April 23, 2012
    Also made all the images available on the main page.
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2012
    First off, congratulations on the upcoming Ph.D. My only issue is I have to scroll horizontally to view your whole site, using a 1024 x 768 monitor. Not everybody has a large monitor.