Sunset canoe excursion along the Anchorage, AK shoreline (GoPro2)

bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
edited April 29, 2012 in Video
<!-- This version of the embed code is no longer supported. Learn more: https://vimeo.com/help/faq/embedding --> <object width="800" height="450"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=41163016&force_embed=1&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=1&color=00adef&fullscreen=1&autoplay=0&loop=0&quot; /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=41163016&force_embed=1&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=1&color=00adef&fullscreen=1&autoplay=0&loop=0&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="800" height="450"></embed></object>

My brother and I took the canoe(and outboard engine) out for a quick spin around Ship Creek and the Port of Anchorage. The water was exceptionally calm, and we hit slack tide perfectly. Really cool experience and we caught some views of Anchorage that you don't usually get to see. Looking forward to bringing the boat down to Ship Creek again this summer for the King Salmon run! Shot with the GoPro Hero 2.

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    Nice to see what a Go-Pro can and cannot do well. I need to get one of these!
    tom wise
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Nice to see what a Go-Pro can and cannot do well. I need to get one of these!

Yeah, I am very happy with it. I bought it with the LCD BacPac which really changes the game for this little cam. Frame up your shots, watch exposure, review, awesome! Btw, the footage above is straight out of cam, converted to ProRes and exported h264 from Compressor. No grading, just good ol' GoPro goodness.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Looks good, Josh.

As an editor I have to get on my soapbox for a bit about dissolves. Use them with caution. 9 times out of 10 all they're doing is creating ugly frames between nice looking frames. I mean stop in the middle of a dissolve and ask yourself if that frame looks good. Usually it doesn't. I only use dissolves if they're beautiful or if they accomplish something necessary to the story I'm telling that cannot be accomplished in any other way. Usually a cut is preferable. If not a cut, then fade to black and back up from black.

Back off my soapbox, it was nice to see a bit of your adventure. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Agreed. I feel like I frequently use dissolves when rushing through an edit, like this one. In hindsight, I think simple cuts would have worked nicely for this video.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2012
    Agreed. I feel like I frequently use dissolves when rushing through an edit, like this one. In hindsight, I think simple cuts would have worked nicely for this video.

thumb.gif

There's a reason for the editor's adage: "If you can't solve it, dissolve it."
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops