Grand Canyon Light

dave6253dave6253 Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
edited May 22, 2012 in Landscapes
I re-processed a few from the Grand Canyon in 2011.

i-DF2wkmD-XL.jpg

i-C7tT7w2-XL.jpg

i-mVMTk6Q-XL.jpg

i-rvmmFbq-XL.jpg

Comments

• unique93unique93 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    Great... :D
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    Beautiful work. The lighting is just magic. I especially like the first shot. I think with the second one you brought a bit too much shadow detail in the bottom right corner out in your processing. Great set!
  • 2day2day Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    Breathtakingly stunning!
    Lois Doubleday
    www.imagingthat.co
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2012
    the second one is amazing... almost doesn't look real!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2012
    Beautiful series Dave. Love #2, the lighting is outstanding
  • Glenn5995Glenn5995 Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2012
    WOW! Fantastic photographs. thumb.gif
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited April 21, 2012
    I love the second shot, totally awesome!

--- Denise
  • LakeLadyLakeLady Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2012
    We are on our way to the Canyon and these shots are inspiring.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 21, 2012
    Excellent series, Dave. thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • dave6253dave6253 Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2012
    unique93 wrote: »
    Great... :D

Thank you!
    jamesl wrote: »
    Beautiful work. The lighting is just magic. I especially like the first shot. I think with the second one you brought a bit too much shadow detail in the bottom right corner out in your processing. Great set!

Thanks James. I love your storm photos. Now you got me thinking I should go back to the original version of #2. I see what you mean and agree I may have gone a little to far there.
    2day wrote: »
    Breathtakingly stunning!

Thanks!
    squirl033 wrote: »
    the second one is amazing... almost doesn't look real!

Thanks! Maybe for the reason James pointed out?
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Beautiful series Dave. Love #2, the lighting is outstanding

Thanks Doug. I've made many trips to the GC, and this was the best light I've seen there.
    Glenn5995 wrote: »
    WOW! Fantastic photographs. thumb.gif

Thanks Buddy!
    I love the second shot, totally awesome!

--- Denise

Thanks! Sounds like 2 is the consensus.
    LakeLady wrote: »
    We are on our way to the Canyon and these shots are inspiring.

Thanks LakeLady! I'll wish for you to have great light!
    kdog wrote: »
    Excellent series, Dave. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks kdog!
    edited April 21, 2012
    jamesl wrote: »

Is this a little better?

2B.
    i-gR43PcD-XL.jpg
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2012
    Dave I will be driving across the country and stopping at the Grand Canyon. Any suggestions on locations for morning and or evening locations to shoot from.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2012
    dave6253 wrote: »
    Is this a little better?

2B.
    i-gR43PcD-XL.jpg

Simply stunning. One of the best I've ever seen of the GC.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2012
    Simply stunning. One of the best I've ever seen of the GC.

Tom

Totally agree with Tom... Stunning image!
    Randy
  • FisheadFishead Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2012
    # 2 is QUITE the keeper!
  • LightMagicLightMagic Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2012
    Beautiful set. The second one gets my vote as the best too ...
    edited May 20, 2012
    bham wrote: »
    Dave I will be driving across the country and stopping at the Grand Canyon. Any suggestions on locations for morning and or evening locations to shoot from.

Hey, Thanks for the new comments. I appreciate the encouragement.

bham,
    I may need more info to fully answer, but I can assume, since you are driving across the country, you will be stopping along the South Rim. I have more experience traveling to the North Rim, though. If you have the time, I would recommend the North Rim. There are far less people and better views IMO. My favorite point accessible by paved road is Cape Royal/Angel's Window views at sunset, which is where these photos were taken. I recently had good luck at Desert View shooting into the sunset and using HDR. Desert View is on the east end of the South Rim Drive. If your vehicle can travel off road try making it out to Point Sublime (lives up to the name) or Toroweap (my favorite view in all of AZ). Both are on the north side.

Maybe others with experience at the GC can chime in? Or you could pose the question in the Location, Location, Location! section. I'd be glad to help with more specific questions.

This is from Desert View just after sunset.
    Grand-Canyon-HDR-Pano-PP-1-X3.jpg
  • 2mo2mo Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2012
    Beautiful. I have never been, but now I want to go. Perfect exposures. I dont think my camera take pics like that-must have bought the wrong camera----seriously stunning work
    J. Tuminello
    Tuminello Photography
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2012
    Thanks. I do have on my list a few spots on the north rim to stop at, and Cape Royal is one of them. I also had Desert View on the list of spots on the South Rim. I won't be in an off road vehicle, otherwise I would love to go to Point Sublime, your photos of your trip there, the drive itself looks pretty interesting and photo worthy. Would you think it likely that I might could catch a ride with someone else headed out that way, or is the number of people traveling that route so small, its very unlikely?

I did start a thread, here is a link. Thank you so much for the info already, you have some really beautiful work.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=220926
    dave6253 wrote: »
    Hey, Thanks for the new comments. I appreciate the encouragement.

bham,
    I may need more info to fully answer, but I can assume, since you are driving across the country, you will be stopping along the South Rim. I have more experience traveling to the North Rim, though. If you have the time, I would recommend the North Rim. There are far less people and better views IMO. My favorite point accessible by paved road is Cape Royal/Angel's Window views at sunset, which is where these photos were taken. I recently had good luck at Desert View shooting into the sunset and using HDR. Desert View is on the east end of the South Rim Drive. If your vehicle can travel off road try making it out to Point Sublime (lives up to the name) or Toroweap (my favorite view in all of AZ). Both are on the north side.

Maybe others with experience at the GC can chime in? Or you could pose the question in the Location, Location, Location! section. I'd be glad to help with more specific questions.

This is from Desert View just after sunset.
    Grand-Canyon-HDR-Pano-PP-1-X3.jpg
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me