5D3 19 image pano

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited April 18, 2012 in Landscapes
This is a small (1/6th 72dpi) version of what otherwise is a 310 megapixel pano made out of 19 vertical (portrait) 5D Mark III images.

i-CTHnqj3.jpg

Technicalities:
Canon 5D Mark III + 100-400L at 400mm + TCx1.4 (pins taped), on a tripod and with remote cable trigger.
Manual exposure f/10, 1/800sec, ISO 400
Processing: ACR6.7 to handle initial RAW conversion, then PS CS6 Merge

The reason I cranked up ISO: there was a lot of wind and I wanted to avoid camera shake blur at effective 640mm focal length, so I wanted something faster than 1/640s.
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2012
    And just for kicks: a "compressed" edition:-)

i-jcsn5x7.jpg
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2012
    Very Cool!
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    Awesome image!

Are you going to have it printed and if so to what size(I definitely think it needs to be hanging somewhere)?

Lastly, have you any idea what this is(noticed it while admiring the full size image)?

6942356838_d84ceb046b_o.jpg
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    Looks like a triangulation antenna for aircraft
    edited April 17, 2012
    Thanks guys!

I don't have any printing intentions at the moment.

This white thingie surrounded by some circumferenced spikes appears to be this:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=fillmore,california&ll=34.356721,-118.881584&spn=0.001756,0.002411&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=np&hnear=Fillmore,+Ventura,+California&gl=us&t=h&z=19

I honestly have no idea what kind of installation it can be headscratch.gifdunno. If you happend to know - please share, I'm curios myself. The road to it seems to be gated, so there is no way for me to get even remotely close for a better shot...

FWIW, the beeline distance from the camera is about 20 miles...
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    This is a small (1/6th 72dpi) version of what otherwise is a 310 megapixel pano made out of 19 vertical (portrait) 5D Mark III images.

i-CTHnqj3.jpg

Technicalities:
    Canon 5D Mark III + 100-400L at 400mm + TCx1.4 (pins taped), on a tripod and with remote cable trigger.
    Manual exposure f/10, 1/800sec, ISO 400
    Processing: ACR6.7 to handle initial RAW conversion, then PS CS6 Merge

bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    This white thingie surrounded by some circomferenced spikes appears to be this:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=fillmore,california&ll=34.356721,-118.881584&spn=0.001756,0.002411&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=np&hnear=Fillmore,+Ventura,+California&gl=us&t=h&z=19

I honestly have no idea what kind of installation it can be headscratch.gifdunno. If you happend to know - please share, I'm curios myself. The road to it seems to be gated, so there is no way for me to get even remotely close for a better shot...

Awesome shot!

The white thing is the Fillmore VOR, which is used for aircraft navigation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHF_omnidirectional_range
    edited April 17, 2012
    PilotBrad wrote: »
    Awesome shot!

The white thing is the Fillmore VOR, which is used for aircraft navigation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHF_omnidirectional_range

Brad, thank you very much! clap.gif
    I was hoping someone with aeronautical knowlege would be able to solve this mistery! thumb.gif
    edited April 17, 2012
    Brad, thank you very much! clap.gif
    I was hoping someone with aeronautical knowlege would be able to solve this mistery! thumb.gif

I said that... just not that specifically. lol
    edited April 17, 2012
    I said that... just not that specifically. lol
    You did, you did...:-)
    I have a few people at work who were guessing along the same lines, but nobody till Brad produced an exact technical ID :-). It would be like me saying "it's a dslr with some long lens" and you saying "yes, it's a Canon EOS 1D Mk IV with a 400/2.8L Mk II and TCx2 Mk III extender" mwink.gif
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    The image looks great, but it seems to have a yellow/green cast to me. Dragging the small sized image into PS and boosting the blue channel in curves made for a much more natural color to my eye. Not that that's the fix for it, but it does seem to have a color cast. Is it just me? My monitor's calibrated...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited April 17, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    The image looks great, but it seems to have a yellow/green cast to me. Dragging the small sized image into PS and boosting the blue channel in curves made for a much more natural color to my eye. Not that that's the fix for it, but it does seem to have a color cast. Is it just me? My monitor's calibrated...

David, your monitor (and your eys) are fine. thumb.gif This is the way I wanted it. deal.gifmwink.gif
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    David, your monitor (and your eys) are fine. thumb.gif This is the way I wanted it. deal.gifmwink.gif
    thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited April 17, 2012
    I like the yellow green as well. Brings it into a majestic mood.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 18, 2012
    Awesome scene, super technicals and great job stitching, Nik. Processing isn't quite my cup of tea, but I can see the appeal. thumb.gif
    edited April 18, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Awesome scene, super technicals and great job stitching, Nik. Processing isn't quite my cup of tea, but I can see the appeal. thumb.gif

Thanks Joel! thumb.gif