Flying over my town at 1000 feet

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited May 2, 2012 in Landscapes
I thought I had reached the conclusion of my Rooftop series this week (I had managed to talk my way up to various rooftops around town and featured those shots every Thursday on my site - wednesdaysinmhd.com )
I was pretty upset about having to put an end to this unique view of our town when my new financial advisor Aviv Hod called me. Turns out he is an avid pilot and needed to put in a few more hours for his duties as Coast Guard relief. As it was Wednesday and my only duties were to stain a desk for my son, I jumped at the chance for a flight.

As we met at Beverly Airport, the skies took a turn from the clear blue and calm conditions to threatening clouds and building wind gusts. I'm not much of a flyer and was about to get into a Cessna 172 - let's just say I was a bit nervous. We took off and my nerves did not ease. It is a very surreal experience to fly at 1000 feet and feel like the smallest breeze could send you moving in any direction. Aviv did a fantastic job flying but sensed quite quickly that he had a scared passenger. Rather than stick to the original plan of flying up the coast, he made a decision to fly over my town.

I was hoping for some aerial shots of Marblehead but getting them proved far more difficult than I had ever anticipated. Between the sun darting in and out of clouds, the wind moving us up and down and my heart rate playing havoc with my ability to hold the camera still, I was praying for at least one usable shot. Turns out I ended up with at least four!

1. Marblehead Neck with a lone sailboat in the harbor
i-ck897bZ-L.jpg

2. Abbot Hall
i-fF9FfBt-L.jpg

3. The Causeway
i-4FjMxPF-L.jpg

4. Little Harbor
i-7bRt5Zp-L.jpg

When I landed, I told myself I would never do this again. When I saw the images come off the CF card, I may have changed my mind. Here's hoping for a perfectly calm mid-Summer day with plenty of boats in the harbor for the next adventure. Maybe I'll pop an Ativan first and actually open the window next time :dunno

-all taken with the Canon 50D and EF 70-200/4 IS with IS on and ISO of 200-400 at f/4. The ISO 400 shots resulted in more keepers but I hate messing with those files in post. Can't wait for the 5D iii before the next chance.

Comments

• YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Very nice pictures, congratulations.
    You'll get used, but be careful not to exceed the Ativan (or other) dose or you'll be sleeping instead of taking pictures.
    I've flown the 152 and 172 I guarantee you a very safe small single engine airplanes.
    And, yes, open the window, if possible..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Congrats. once more.
    Y.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm sure its a different experience on a clear day with minimal gusts. Looking forward to another trip - especially after reading that the plane makes for a good glider even if there is engine failure. I was sure that the propeller was going to fall off and we would head straight down after it...
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 30, 2012
    Nice aerials, Eyal. Well worth a few moments of anxiety, I'd say. :D
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited April 30, 2012
    I was gonna suggest taking the door off but what do I know? lol3.gif

I love seeing things from the air. One of my very favorite shots is of SF Bay at Low low tide. For those not familiar, most of the South Bay is between one and three feet deep and the low low tide allows you to see all of the textures of the bottom (including the places where boats have touched or run aground). It's controlled airspace as NUQ, SJC, and PAO are all located fairly close by.

Anyway, love seeing the city from the air and agree that boats in the harbor would be awesome. Especially at sunset/sunrise.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Fine shots, and I can imagine what a pleasure that was.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    OMG, I did that once about 15 years ago, same town, coincidentally. I was taking a beginner's package of three 1 hour flying lessons out of Beverly airport. I stuck the lens of my FSLR out the little vent in the window while my flight instructor flew. It was a low-wing aircraft, a Piper Warrior. He said "here, let me get the wing out of the way for you" and went into a 60 degree banked turn. I have never felt so sick. I held it down, but wow that sucked. I didn't feel better until I had been on the ground, sitting in my car breathing deeply for about 30 minutes. And I love roller-coasters and all that stuff. Never been motion sick before then, holy cow. Got some cool pics though!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    Thanks everyone. We'll see if I get another chance to do this under more ideal conditions and if I am brave enough to open the window next time. Taking a 60 degree banked turn while looking through an IS-lens may make me lose breakfast and lunch though...
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    You did fine even though you were a bit ill. Can appreciate your story and I am glad you included it as written. Enjoyed the read as much as the photography. I especially like the picture of Abbot Hall, though all are nice images. thumb.gif
    Michael