Printmark Scaling

ArgoShotsArgoShots Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited April 20, 2012 in SmugMug Support
I read somewhere that the print mark tool will 'resize' my graphic so that it takes up about 1% of the surface area of the print size that is ordered.

So, to make sure I understand this:

A printmark on an 8x10 would be about 0.8".
A printmark on a 24x36 would be about 8.64".

But if I am trying to use a printmark as a digital "signature", why would I want that? My actual signature is about the same size all the time (say around 1.5"), regardless of the size of the print I am signing. I would NEVER write my name to take up over 8-1/2" across the bottom of one of my prints!

Is there a way to add a signature printmark that does NOT scale, but rather stays the about same size across all print sizes?

Thanks,
~Jason

Comments

• TheOnlookerTheOnlooker Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2012
    ArgoShots wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the print mark tool will 'resize' my graphic so that it takes up about 1% of the surface area of the print size that is ordered.

So, to make sure I understand this:

A printmark on an 8x10 would be about 0.8" across.
    A printmark on a 24x36 would be about 8.64" across.

But if I am trying to use a printmark as a digital "signature", why would I want that? My actual signature is about the same size all the time (say around 1.5"), regardless of the size of the print I am signing. I would NEVER write my name over 8" across the bottom of one of my prints!

Is there a way to add a signature printmark that does NOT scale, but rather stays the about same size across all print sizes?

Thanks,
    ~Jason

Jason,

When you are adding a printmark, it would always come in at 1% - there isn't a way to change that on SmugMug.

What you may want to do is either add the signature to your original uploads. With this, you do risk the signature being cropped out, but you could always have your orders set on a Proof Delay so you can either replace the image, or adjust the cropping to include the signature.

-KevinW
    Support Hero
  • ArgoShotsArgoShots Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited April 14, 2012
    Kevin,

Thanks for the quick response. Adding my signature to the originals would not work either. If I did that I would have the same problem. If the customer chooses a small print like a 5x7, they'd get a tiny-tiny signature; if they choose a large print like a 24x36, they'd get a HUGE signature. The only way to make that work is to only offer one size to my customers.

So, it looks like my ONLY solution is to have the prints sent to me so I can physically sign them and then repackage & forward on to the customer. I really don't want to be in the production & shipping business, that's what I am paying you guys for...

There should be a way to add a signature that is always about 1.5"-2" across, no matter what size the print.

Am I the only one who is struggling with this?

~Jason

Jason,

When you are adding a printmark, it would always come in at 1% - there isn't a way to change that on SmugMug.

What you may want to do is either add the signature to your original uploads. With this, you do risk the signature being cropped out, but you could always have your orders set on a Proof Delay so you can either replace the image, or adjust the cropping to include the signature.

-KevinW
    Support Hero
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2012
    Hi

The print mark is designed so that it scales with the print size ordered - it will always occupy 1% of the final surface area of the print size ordered, as Kevin mentioned. Thus it will always be readable, and always be appropriate to the size of the print, typical viewing distance etc. I think it is typical that signatures scale to the size of the doc being signed.

The key is to make sure that your print mark uses all of the space of the 1500 pixels of the print mark, and it will then always be 1% of the surface area of the print size sold.
  • ArgoShotsArgoShots Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited April 15, 2012
    Thanks, Ann

But I have to disagree. Unless your name is John Hancock it is not "typical that signatures scale to the size of the doc being signed." That might be fine for a logo/trademark, but not a signature. I have just come from a gallery showing and the photographer's signature was the same size on an 11x14 as it was on a 40x50. Which was about 2" across. Using the SmugMug printmark the signature on the 40x50 would take up 20"! (I know it is only 10" across, but that is still a 500% increase)

Is it not possible to have a signature that is 2" @ 300dpi, and have that added to my prints at that size regardless of the size of the print?

~Jason
    deal.gif
    Ann McRae wrote: »
    Hi

The print mark is designed so that it scales with the print size ordered - it will always occupy 1% of the final surface area of the print size ordered, as Kevin mentioned. Thus it will always be readable, and always be appropriate to the size of the print, typical viewing distance etc. I think it is typical that signatures scale to the size of the doc being signed.

The key is to make sure that your print mark uses all of the space of the 1500 pixels of the print mark, and it will then always be 1% of the surface area of the print size sold.
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2012
    Jason,
    At this point you can't manually override the printmark size. You could add a suggestion to our feedback pages:
    http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug
    That way other users can vote and comment on your suggestion, and it helps us to keep track of all suggestions made.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • RAWgraphyRAWgraphy Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 20, 2012
    Jason,

I share the same frustrations as you regarding the printmark scaling. I think KevinW's hinted at the best solution with his comment, "Proof Delay so you can either replace the image." Based on that advice I plan to do the following:

1: Select and offer print sizes ranging from 4x6 to 24x36.
    2: If I put a print mark in the proof image uploaded to SmugMug, it too will suffer from the scaling issue. So I plan to make a note in the description that prints will come with a non-destracting signature in the bottom right corner.
    4: From my local master image create/export a copy in all the aforementioned sizes. For each size I create a properly scaled and readable digital signature graphic and put it in each exported image.
    3: Enable Proof Delay.
    4: When an order comes in, I will then swap out the image SmugMug will send the printer with the one I exported from my master image in the exact size, which includes the embedded and appropriately scaled signature. This solves an unrelated concern of mine as well. I prefer to be responsible for scaling my images to the print size instead of entrusting that important task to a system I have no control over.

Thank you for this starting thread and all those who contributed to it as it lead me to what I hope will prove to be the best solution. If anyone has a better idea, please comment.

RR
  • rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    RAWgraphy wrote: »
    Jason,

I share the same frustrations as you regarding the printmark scaling. I think KevinW's hinted at the best solution with his comment, "Proof Delay so you can either replace the image." Based on that advice I plan to do the following:

1: Select and offer print sizes ranging from 4x6 to 24x36.
    2: If I put a print mark in the proof image uploaded to SmugMug, it too will suffer from the scaling issue. So I plan to make a note in the description that prints will come with a non-destracting signature in the bottom right corner.
    4: From my local master image create/export a copy in all the aforementioned sizes. For each size I create a properly scaled and readable digital signature graphic and put it in each exported image.
    3: Enable Proof Delay.
    4: When an order comes in, I will then swap out the image SmugMug will send the printer with the one I exported from my master image in the exact size, which includes the embedded and appropriately scaled signature. This solves an unrelated concern of mine as well. I prefer to be responsible for scaling my images to the print size instead of entrusting that important task to a system I have no control over.

Thank you for this starting thread and all those who contributed to it as it lead me to what I hope will prove to be the best solution. If anyone has a better idea, please comment.

RR

The only problem I see with this is if the customer orders more than one size of the same image.
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)