I'll buy a Panasonic GH2...

2»

Comments

• Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    THX1965 wrote: »
    Stunning, Marc!

The total absense of flickering without any post processing is fantastic. (Is that due to the fact that we're not dealing with an actual mirror here?) And the live-action scene looks as crisp as your timelapse shots. What ISO did you use with the sunset QuantumX shot? It's looks very clean.

I have always thought flicker was caused by the diaphragm closing in ever so slightly different diameters. But, it certainly could be the absence of a mechanism like the mirror. I do think it could be more the smaller diameter lenses being far more accurate! But thats a guess!

I will test my camera at all ISOs as well, just so I don't ever rely on that stinky 320 ISO.
    I shot the scenes with 160 ISO.
  • THX1965THX1965 Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    I have always thought flicker was caused by the diaphragm closing in ever so slightly different diameters.

You are of course right. Flickering doesn't have anything to do with having a mirror or not.
  • THX1965THX1965 Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    GH2 QUANTUM PATCHES and SHARPENING
    The amazing GH2 Quantum patches are getting updated and fine-tuned by Nick Driftwood almost on a daily basis. Pretty incredible.

I just read this interesting announcement by him on http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2364/driftwood-quantum-x-v3b-rocket-v4b-orion-v5-β-pictoris-/p1

We seem to have much more cinematic control over sharpness with his Quantum patches now!

TIP: You can now experiment with sharpening back on (0 to +2 in camera) for Quantum settings.: 27/02/2012

As you are all aware now, Quantum settings enjoy the AVC-Intra matrix standard along with scaled
    AVC Intra p/b variations made by myself. This helps soften up skies etc... this should give you a nice
    opportunity now to mess around with in camera picture profiles/sharpening filters - for example
    Nostalgic picture profile (like all profiles on stock settings in-camera you can use upto four settings
    to control contrast, sharpening, saturation and noise reduction - many people have been using -2,-2,-2,-2
    because the Panasonic matrix is overtly sharp). So try giving the second setting - for Sharpeness -
    an adjustment upwards (e.g. -2 upto +2), now that you have more headroom control with the AVC-Intra
    smoother matrix. Let me know how you get on. Nick
    edited May 10, 2012
    Still loving my GH2 for vids and TL. Thanks again Marcus, for the updated info on the patches.

I was having a conversation with Pathfinder (over a beer) and another photog about the phenom of no flicker and Pathfinder mentioned that he thought the GH2 is taking the data from the sensor by so called flash charging it for the determined length and amount. This made more sense than anything else. So that means the lens stays open and there is no curtain or mirror. If you think about it this is also how it gives such a high deff preview in the view finder!
    There is no flicker since nothing is moving and the charge can be perfectly duplicated as a numeric command, quite ingenious!

Thanks for that enlightenment Pathfinder :)
    edited July 17, 2012
    More reason to believe in the little GH2 here
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2012
    More reason to believe in the little GH2 here

That was neat!

We still dig the GH2 for our video work, even though the D800 is nice and all.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
    edited July 21, 2012
    Watching all of the video relating to the test I too chose the GH2 from the pack of results which looked like digital video. Of those results which looked like a more filmic source, I chose the ARRI Alexa, although I didn't like their approach to lighting (not the fault of the camera). Also filmic the Sony cameras were very good, and then the Canon C300 extremely close behind them. I was oddly not that impressed by the RED results.

The GH2 did have some aliasing going on, both in the window/background and in the blouse of the lady with yellow pants. I did not see the moire issues on the GH2, except for maybe a fleeting glimpse at one point. I felt that the GH2 was the closest to how I would have lit the scene as it was very well distributed throughout the scene, while most of the others' lighting lost a lot of luminance in the area near the couch.

I viewed this with a NEC EA231WMi monitor at full-HD resolution.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums