Copyright Release

nillaismydognillaismydog Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited July 31, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
So my problem is that everytime I get pictures printed at some places I have to go through this big long thing with them explaining that I was the photographer so that they'll give me my photos. I had a friend call me one day (I took pictures of her) and they wouldn't give her the photos without a release form. So my question is does anyone have an example of a copyright release I could use as a guide? Or is ther another way around this. I'm taking wedding pictures in a week and would like to have the whole thing ready for them in case they run into the same problem.

Comments

• GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    A simple letter stating that you are the photographer, and you own the copyright and grant the right to have prints made of the photos will do. Type it once, save it and change the name on it for each person. Specify the photos taked such and such a date etc.

Give them a copy of the letter to taker to their printer with them and it should be fine.

I have had to do this on occasion.

Of course you could tell them to just order prints through smugmug from your page and skip the hassle as well.
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    When I provide a printable CD to customers, I provide this form so that they won't have trouble at the labs. This isn't written in stone, you can adapt and change it to meet any particular needs you may have.

Date: [enter date here]

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is [enter full name here] I am the owner, photographer, and copyright holder of all images taken by [enter your name or business] located at [enter your address here]

I hereby grant [enter customers name] my permission to make unlimited printed or developed photographs, for their personal use, using this CD-ROM of their [enter the type of photos] images titled [enter title of CD as labeled].

If you should have any questions regarding the authenticity of this document or the terms herewith, please contact me at.

Phone # [enter your phone number]

Email: [enter your email address]

Sincerely,

[sign here]

[enter your name] (photographer and copyright holder)

Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • nillaismydognillaismydog Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    thanks so much guys... you have been extremely helpful! one more thing though... what if I'm just printing off pictures of my daughter and they ask for a release? do I really need to make one up for myself? or should I make up a business card or something like that? or should I not need one for that case and just argue with them for 15 minutes like I've done in the past =)
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    The labs are doing their jobs in protecting the copyright of photographers. Don't argue with them, just follow the procedures for getting your work made. That usually includes approaching them before you make any prints to introduce yourself and ask what their procedures are for getting your own work printed there. They may have a ready made form that you fill out and they keep on file, they may have you fill out a new one each time, they may want a letter from you stating that the work is your own.

The point is, just go ask, then do it. The trouble you are experiencing is self induced ;-)
    do I really need to make one up for myself? or should I make up a business card or something like that? or should I not need one for that case and just argue with them for 15 minutes like I've done in the past =)
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • nillaismydognillaismydog Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2005
    The labs are doing their jobs in protecting the copyright of photographers. Don't argue with them, just follow the procedures for getting your work made. That usually includes approaching them before you make any prints to introduce yourself and ask what their procedures are for getting your own work printed there. They may have a ready made form that you fill out and they keep on file, they may have you fill out a new one each time, they may want a letter from you stating that the work is your own.

The point is, just go ask, then do it. The trouble you are experiencing is self induced ;-)
    thanks for the great advice! arguing was probably the wrong word for me to use... it's more like answering tons of questions and one of them being "are you in highschool?" (i'm 23). I don't know what that last question really has to do with any of it. I just hate the way they go about it. I guess I didn't think I would run into copyright issues since I don't have a business doing it. I am glad that they are so concerned about it though! and you're totally right... I am bringing this on myself... I have a clue as to what I'm doing when it comes to this type of thing... i just like to take pictures :D