senior yearbook headshot

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited September 18, 2008 in People
Today I took a headshot for a senior yearbook photo. This is the one I was told needed to be 1 1/2" x 2" and 1" from top of hair to chin. No white backgrounds, no props or hands...so a fairly simple shot. I think I've got the dimensions down; how 'bout the processing? Does this look OK? Any suggestions? Remember this will be printed very small, unless the parents also want a larger version. Thanks!

85 1.8 (used at 2.8), ISO 320, 1/250, natural light
358399048_JF5Pz-XL.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    Looks good to me, I'd imagine that the parents will want a larger copy :)
  • jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    This is the best yearbook picture I've ever seen and I have seen a lot!
    I'd prefer more of a smile but I imagine this is his personality to those who know him.
    Jaye
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
  • DECinNCDECinNC Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    Great Picture
    If he was my kid I'd want a larger one. Maybe cropping some of the bottom off.
    Dale Childress
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    DECinNC wrote:
    If he was my kid I'd want a larger one. Maybe cropping some of the bottom off.

Thanks! The crop ratio is as it is because of the yearbook requirements...1 1/2 x 2" and the head 1" from top of hair to chin.

Here's the one they actually chose to use.

361709023_MANrd-XL-1.jpg
    Elaine

• DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    Great shot. I love the lighting, expression and bokeh.
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    Elaine - those are both really nice shots! I hope your client/friend is pleased!
  • CTUphotoCTUphoto Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    Diggin' it...
    Elaine,

Great work on both shots. I dig the "natruralness" of it...I went to school where our Senior work was farmed out to a particular studio in town...if you wanted your photo in the yearbook, they had to take it. It was all studio work and all of them ended up looking fake to me. I like this style, and your work here in particular, much better.thumb.gifthumb.gif

(I actually ended up working for that studio, but that's another story...:D)

-JB
    Justin Benson
    CTU Photography
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2008
    Thanks, David, Paul and Justin! I'll be delivering these prints to the client tomorrow, so we'll see what they say.

That would be kind of a bummer to be stuck with only one option for senior yearbook shots. Here, you can certainly use the regular school picture shot (sit on a stool in front of a bright blue or green background and say "cheese"), but the seniors are given the option to bring in their own, as long as it meets the dimensions they require. I think this is a much better option, too! thumb.gif
    Elaine

• GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    A small (and late) suggestion
    Even though the hands aren't in the picture, where they go matters...I'd have his right hand on his hip (on the first shot) and on his thigh (on the one they took)...out of the picture frame. What that would do is square up his back shoulder and give him a stronger appearance.

The first shot needs more than the second, that's why I'd put his hand up higher on his hip.

- Gary.