the dgrin game - post your comments here!

Comments

• J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2012
  • lionellionel Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited February 23, 2012
    Great shot....well done.

6695955439_1173c05ef0_o.jpg
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    Lornce - the lion wasn't the picture to follow...that was my picture posted by lionel saying how good it was...he posted in the wrong place, I reckon.
    Never mind...carry on. :)
  • LornceLornce Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    Lornce - the lion wasn't the picture to follow...that was my picture posted by lionel saying how good it was...he posted in the wrong place, I reckon.
    Never mind...carry on. :)

Thanks for the explanation. I did wonder how we'd jumped from "floral impressionist" to "Afrikan Lion Safari".

Oblique Narnian inference removed accordingly...

DSC8948-L.jpg
    edited February 26, 2012
    Interesting picture. thumb.gif

What is it?

headscratch.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    Lornce wrote: »

Thanks! It's The Thames Barrier.
  • marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Holy cow, Richard, that's really really cool. I feel effusive about that picture except that I got instantly captured about how hard the girl's shadow is compared to the adults' shadow- somehow to me it it makes me feel like it's a construct, and not real, while if all the shadows' edges looked pretty much the same– then I would be able to enter the picture and live in it.

I've never seen that done before and I think it's a great concept and important.
    edited March 1, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    you mean, flugistan? is that der-flugster? our own amadeus? :nah

Must be quite a number of ADV'ers on this site.

Anyone care to identify with ADV handles?

Dgrin game is a lot of fun.

thumb.gif
  • Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Lornce wrote: »
    Must be quite a number of ADV'ers on this site.

Anyone care to identify with ADV handles?

Dgrin game is a lot of fun.

thumb.gif

wave.gif
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
    edited March 3, 2012
    wave.gif

Dude. thumb.gif
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    Richard - This shot is fantastic!
    I love that all persons but one are looking up, and the lighting on the group is perfect. thumb.gif
    I can imagine the scene as a Close Encounter of the Third Kind.

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1750773&postcount=14976
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited March 12, 2012
    Earache wrote: »
    Richard - This shot is fantastic!
    I love that all persons but one are looking up, and the lighting on the group is perfect. thumb.gif
    I can imagine the scene as a Close Encounter of the Third Kind.

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1750773&postcount=14976
    Thanks Eric. It's actually a monument to the victims of a 2004 terrorist attack in Madrid. The names are written on the dome. Yesterday marked the 8th anniversary of the attack.
    edited March 18, 2012
    I am not, at all, seeing the connection between this:
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    272970040_8GiJo-L-3.jpg

Don

And this:
    marionet wrote: »
    premonition.jpg

and this:

'Splain?
    edited March 18, 2012

And this:

and this:

'Splain?

I saw the buoy in the water in the first and saw how they looked like the berries (?) in the second. In the second is a lizard on the CD, plain as day. I followed with my lizard.
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2012
    The second two are much more apparent to me. I love obscure connections! The connection from mine to the fruit could be just the loan red buoy off the stern of the foreground boat and the red fruit at the left of the following image! That is the sort of connection I'd go for! :Dthumb.gif!

The less obvious ones are the best in the 750 plus page, 15K post game!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited March 18, 2012
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    THe second two are much more apparent to me. I love obscure connections! The connection from mine to the fruit could be just the loan red buoy off the stern of the foreground boat and the red fruit at the left of the following image! That is the dort of connection I'd go for! :Dthumb.gif!

The less obvious ones are the best in the 750 plus page, 15K post game!

Don

(Headthwap) - I was caught in the last two, because I was seeing the lizard on the record as a trident.
    edited March 18, 2012

And this:

and this:

'Splain?
    (Headthwap) - I was caught in the last two, because I was seeing the lizard on the record as a trident.

Ah...funny how the mind works, eh?
    edited March 18, 2012
    Yeh, the round thing in water reminded me of the wet tomato. The lizard is a drawer pull I got at Urban Outfitters; I think it's neat but my then-wife thought it'd be creepy to use.
    edited March 18, 2012
    Ah...funny how the mind works, eh?

Yep. I was thinking "trident" as the "maybe that's the connection to the ocean?" Lacking the power to see the connections, the brain tried to make some that weren't there.

And at my age, I won't complain. Any working of the mind, no matter how odd, is still kinda a landmark moment. :)
    edited March 18, 2012
    And at my age, I won't complain. Any working of the mind, no matter how odd, is still kinda a landmark moment. :)

rolleyes1.gif
    edited March 18, 2012
    "I'm not demented; I'm just playing the dgrin game." rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2012
    Very first post -
    Andy wrote: »
    btw - i think the photos should speak for themselves - iow, no need to explain the "association."
    edited March 18, 2012
    Very first post -

recommending dumbing down?
    edited March 19, 2012
    marionet wrote: »
    recommending dumbing down?
    No, nothing to do with dumbing down, just recalling the guideline laid down in the very first post when the thread was started! deal.gif

Makes abundant good sense to me! :D
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Yes, but when people no longer know where bacon comes from, or where little pigs have their food stand, you do get asked funny questions. Even when you associate on two levels in one image. ;) The association that is perfectly clear in ones mind, may be obscure in another mind. Therefor I accept all images to be an association of some kind, and just go on. It's just a silly game, not a scientific experiment.
    enjoy being here while getting there
    edited March 19, 2012
    Yep. I was thinking "trident" as the "maybe that's the connection to the ocean?" Lacking the power to see the connections, the brain tried to make some that weren't there.

marlof wrote: »
    Yes, but when people no longer know where bacon comes from, or where little pigs have their food stand, you do get asked funny questions. Even when you associate on two levels in one image. ;) The association that is perfectly clear in ones mind, may be obscure in another mind. Therefor I accept all images to be an association of some kind, and just go on. It's just a silly game, not a scientific experiment.

Indeed it is just a game. But looking at "Moving Pictures" comments above it is interesting to see how people see things differently. It actually has an impact on your photography, I think. Think about it...you thjink you have taken a great still life with fruit, a CD and a lizard ornament. It looks great, but the customer/viewer is seeing berries and a trident and is trying to make head 'n' tail of what you are showing. Until you point out what is there, they don't get it.
    I find it interesting, and it helps me to self-critique...I ask myself "What will SOMEONE ELSE see in my photograph? And will that then cause a problem?

(No offence to Moving Pictures, I just used you as an example :) )
    edited March 19, 2012
    Yes, but when people no longer know where bacon comes from, or where little pigs have their food stand, you do get asked funny questions.
    Why not name me as having raised the question you are alluding to, and why the need to try to demean or belittle me?
    The association that is perfectly clear in ones (sic) mind, may be obscure in another mind.
    Of course, but from your previous comment it's not apparent you are prepared to accept that in others. Are you saying my IQ of 128 does not meet the required threshold here to make the associations expected?
    Therefor (sic) I accept all images to be an association of some kind, and just go on.
    Now that is going too far IMHO. Do you mean anyone can post anything?
    It's just a silly game, not a scientific experiment.
    I agree it is a game, but I don't believe it was ever intended to be silly. For anyone to be able to post anything at all is silly.

If you are unwilling to accept the guideline Andy set down and which I quoted, why not say so and propose the guideline be changed or dropped - rather than take a swipe at me?

I enjoy participating and the camaraderie that has developed over the more than six years the photo association game has been running. But, if it is agreed that any photo at all can now be posted and will always be deemed to have an association with the previous photo, I regret that I have made my last post!

On the other hand, if the guideline will continue in effect, perhaps you should do the honourable thing and exit gracefully. Our views on this are diametrically opposed and whatever the guideline is to be, it can't suit us both!
    edited March 19, 2012
    :duel

Let's take this down a notch, OK?

What's clear to one person may not be clear at all to someone else. We all have different styles. Some rely on subject; others on purely visual things like form and color; others go in for puns. Which is fine. Personally I enjoy it more when the associations are subtle, and less when there are half a dozen pics of, say, the Golden Gate Bridge in a row. But that's just me. Every now and then, something leaves me scratching my head. Sometimes this is because two people are posting at the same time, which can create sequence problems. Sometimes it's because I just miss the point. That's fine too--it's not worth getting upset about or demanding an explanation. It's just a game. deal.gif
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    : agree As I stated (more or less, here) 5 years ago, I would rather not see the 'Me too' images of 10 airplanes or dogs in a row and see the much more subtle form and color or pun connections that show the diversity of associations and thought in an image choice.

For me though, sometimes it seems like images are posted, just to change the subject! I guess I'm just not seeing the connection at those time!

:D

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook