Tethered Shooting 40D in the studio

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited April 22, 2012 in Technique
I want to have a go at tethered shooting in the studio. I tried at home and it's working fine in EOS Utility. Problem is, the USB cable is quite short...

Any problems with using extensions, or are there proper alternatives out there...longer, curly, or whatever? What do you use?

Cheers

Comments

• gameonazgameonaz Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 1, 2012
    Check out Tethertools, they have some really great products for tethered shooting! http://www.shop.tethertools.com/Tethering-Cables-Cable-Management_c12.htm
  • Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    If you're pushing this through a USB cable, consider an externally-powered hub? That, and a reasonably long cable, could do the trick for you, without much expense. My suggestion is, natch, to experiment before the mission-critical situation.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    gameonaz wrote: »
    Check out Tethertools, they have some really great products for tethered shooting! http://www.shop.tethertools.com/Tethering-Cables-Cable-Management_c12.htm
    If you're pushing this through a USB cable, consider an externally-powered hub? That, and a reasonably long cable, could do the trick for you, without much expense. My suggestion is, natch, to experiment before the mission-critical situation.

Thanks. I have found a cable in a shop over here which is "active" and so helps when long lengths are in use. Recommended by a chap on another forum, so i may go with that. But yes, I intend to practice first...;)
  • ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    Looking into picking up a longer USB cable myself as well for this. I think standard USB they say can run about 15' before running into potential problems. I'm not 100% sure on that, but tether tools only sell 15' in a standard cable as well. That should be long enough for what I plan to do. Would you mind linking to the cable that the other forum recommended?
    edited April 1, 2012
    This one from a store called Maplin in the UK...not sure if you have them there...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-2.0-12m-active-repeater-cable-444544
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    I'm shooting with a 15ft long USB cable all the time. Just have to be careful to not step on it. Got them dirt cheap, too ($1.61/ea from www.monoprice.com). Purchased several just in case...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited April 1, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »
    I'm shooting with a 15ft long USB cable all the time. Just have to be careful to not step on it. Got them dirt cheap, too ($1.61/ea from www.monoprice.com). Purchased several just in case...

I saw a 5m one on ebay for less than £2...that'd be good enough, then?

Cheers
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    I saw a 5m one on ebay for less than £2...that'd be good enough, then?

Cheers

Length-wise it's the same thing I guess. However, ebay items quality are always questionable. Caveat emptor!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Rob PauzaRob Pauza Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    I also have a 15" that has never failed me, but I've heard of people using them up to 40 feet without any problems. I would definitely recommend using a shorter cable on your camera and an extension cable off of that, so WHEN you or someone else trips on it, it won't rip off the connections... or worse, knock over and break anything. I always make a knot of some sort to secure the shorter cable to the tripod so tension won't pull on the camera when the inevitable happens. I agree, monoprice.com is the best place to buy cables.

-Rob
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    The USB specification is for 5m due to the timing issues. I always chuckle when timing is so critical that the length of the cable comes into play, but it also allows for rejection of reflections if I remember correctly. There is also an EyeFi if you want to do wireless Ethernet but I have not tried it.

As everyone recommended, look at strain relief and trip issues. I will say that shooting tethered did help with chimping and put the subjects at ease as they could see and comment on the pics in real time.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited April 2, 2012
    Rob Pauza wrote: »
    I also have a 15" that has never failed me, but I've heard of people using them up to 40 feet without any problems. I would definitely recommend using a shorter cable on your camera and an extension cable off of that, so WHEN you or someone else trips on it, it won't rip off the connections... or worse, knock over and break anything. I always make a knot of some sort to secure the shorter cable to the tripod so tension won't pull on the camera when the inevitable happens. I agree, monoprice.com is the best place to buy cables.

-Rob

Yes, trip hazards and tugging hazards will be foremost in my mind. Thanks. :)
    The USB specification is for 5m due to the timing issues. I always chuckle when timing is so critical that the length of the cable comes into play, but it also allows for rejection of reflections if I remember correctly. There is also an EyeFi if you want to do wireless Ethernet but I have not tried it.

As everyone recommended, look at strain relief and trip issues. I will say that shooting tethered did help with chimping and put the subjects at ease as they could see and comment on the pics in real time.

Yes, I like the idea of bigger screen chimping...at the moment the three of us might be practicing, one will take a shot, and then everyone wants to see the result - while we're working out lighting and numerous other things we don't want to miss out. The laptop positioned so everyone can see it, including whichever of us is modelling at the time, would make that a lot easier.
    And then, when shooting "real" people, especially the kids, they always want to see what they are getting. :)

Cheers
  • Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2012
    Through the link in post 2 there is several different length options in USB cables that will work great. Up to 65'. Before these longer length cables were invented to overcome the 15' max on a standard usb I went with USB extenders and a 100' cat 5 cable for a telescoping mast. Using Breezesys.com software with a point and shoot for the more hazardous shots.

15' is a little short, if hooked and tripped it wouldn't give much before yanking over equipment. Long enough to hook and tug would ensure a little more safety to equipment. (can be placed under rugs too)

Better to buy quality than cheap several times until you find something that works. Better quality also equals faster, if your saving to computer lesser quality cables will slow your transfer time. USB extenders are hit and miss for quality. Always have a backup of everything.

Sample shot in '07 with PSremote (breezesys), live view and test shot.
    243201170_BcvKf-L-2.jpg

and a sample using it in the most harsh conditions (pan/tilt head) while I'm working from the warm van.
    478081476_aYY9n-L.jpg

Troy
    edited April 21, 2012
    Thanks. I did buy cheap in the end, just to try, and in the confines of our small studio, it works great. i use the EOS software, and also Bridge. managing to do well. The biggest bonus aside form seeing screen sized images on capture, is that I just take the hard drive home and the images are there...no transfer from the camera.

I will upgrade to better cable etc. in time...:)
  • Troy RaymondTroy Raymond Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2012
    Something I'm not aware of with the newer programs, with my experience some software saving directly to hard drive seems to strip the EXIF data which some specialty programs need. Not saying you need specialty programs, but I'm interested in hearing if your photos retain the data. thumb.gif
    edited April 21, 2012
    Something I'm not aware of with the newer programs, with my experience some software saving directly to hard drive seems to strip the EXIF data which some specialty programs need. Not saying you need specialty programs, but I'm interested in hearing if your photos retain the data. thumb.gif

Yes, but then I suppose they would, using the EOS Utility with an EOS camera...

And then I use Photoshop (Bridge, ACR, then photoshop). I keep EXIF intact. Only time I lose EXIF is when using my HDR program/plug in. But that doesn't happen in studio shots anyway. :)

Cheers
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2012
    Nikolai wrote: »

I second monoprice.

Sam