A Couple Senior Images - C C

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited May 15, 2012 in People
I have been trying a few new things and here are a couple images that I'm pretty happy with. As always, I'm sure there is room for improvement and your comments and suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks.

i-Z5RShCn-L.jpg

i-JJzd6c6-L.jpg

Comments

• VitaminVVitaminV Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    Dude, these are awesome. #2 is, for me, one of the best senior portraits I've seen. Outstanding!
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    15524779-Ti.gif

And that is not meant to detract from #1 which is also beautiful.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    bothe very beautiful..but #1 the hand is killing the shot for me
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    What is in the background for number 2?
    Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    VitaminV wrote: »
    Dude, these are awesome. #2 is, for me, one of the best senior portraits I've seen. Outstanding!

Why thank you! That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me! Well, except for, here's your money.:D

Icebear wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif

And that is not meant to detract from #1 which is also beautiful.

Thanks Mr. Bear
    Qarik wrote: »
    bothe very beautiful..but #1 the hand is killing the shot for me
    I can certainly see you point. Thank you for making it. The one I tried without the hand there looked too much like a DMV picture to me. That issue will be one of the things I tweak in the future!
    What is in the background for number 2?
    Phil
    If you're referring to the scenery, it was a stream or small river that she sat in front of. If you are wondering about the swirls and what-not, that was a texture applied over the image.
  • trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    #2 doesn't work for me at all...the eyes look unnatural/forced, posing feels tense (especially both hands), the book/pen is out of place (she's siting on a log near a stream with a book/pen...huh?), background texturizing is also unnecessary and very distractive, and the outfit clashes.

I think I get what you were attempting at but I'm not sure what you were trying to portray...maybe a more relaxed look with the senior siting on the ground leaning against the log, with a paperback novel in hand and without the striped top??
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    the hand is being there is not the issue, just the position of the hand..looks awkward with the finger sticking out.

edit: dear lord I need to spell check
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    The texture in #2 is not working for me. I find it at odds with the setting.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • caseyacaseya Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Great shots, no.2 is my fav.
  • anthonyrobinsonanthonyrobinson Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    the hand is being is no the issue, just th epos of the hand..looks awkward wit he finger sticking gout.

Looks like a normal relaxed finger cascade to me. I have no problem with it. She may have resorted to 'fisting' if she was told to tuck her finger in a little more (much like person #2), or at least look concerned about how her hands appear.
    edited May 13, 2012
    troopers wrote: »
    #2 doesn't work for me at all...the eyes look unnatural/forced, posing feels tense (especially both hands), the book/pen is out of place (she's siting on a log near a stream with a book/pen...huh?), background texturizing is also unnecessary and very distractive, and the outfit clashes.

I think I get what you were attempting at but I'm not sure what you were trying to portray...maybe a more relaxed look with the senior siting on the ground leaning against the log, with a paperback novel in hand and without the striped top??
    For a little back story... The book is a journal she has been keeping since the first day of high school. She uses it as a daily diary of her life, to keep her thoughts and feelings of her journey through those four years of her life. She wanted it included in a few poses. Sitting on a log under the shade of a tree near a stream would seem to me a perfect place to gather ones thoughts. Would you prefer a graffiti laden wall with gang bangers driving by?

As far as the texture goes, that's fair, some folks like it some don't. She has the un textured version to choose from too. From the time I spent with her, bet you a nickle she (more importantly her mom) picks the textured version.

Striped top was her choice as part of her favorite casual outfit. This is supposed to be about her and who she is. You may tell your clients that their wardrobe choices stink, but unless it's completely beyond the pale, I don't.
    the hand is being is no the issue, just th epos of the hand..looks awkward wit he finger sticking gout.
    Gotcha!
    Mike J wrote: »
    The texture in #2 is not working for me. I find it at odds with the setting.
    Thanks for the opinion! I do make a plain version available for the client to choose from also.
    caseya wrote: »
    Great shots, no.2 is my fav.
    Thanks a bunch!
    Looks like a normal relaxed finger cascade to me. I have no problem with it. She may have resorted to 'fisting' if she was told to tuck her finger in a little more (much like person #2), or at least look concerned about how her hands appear.
    Thanks for the "second opinion" on the hand thing.
    edited May 13, 2012
    For a little back story... The book is a journal she has been keeping since the first day of high school. She uses it as a daily diary of her life, to keep her thoughts and feelings of her journey through those four years of her life. She wanted it included in a few poses. Sitting on a log under the shade of a tree near a stream would seem to me a perfect place to gather ones thoughts. Would you prefer a graffiti laden wall with gang bangers driving by?

As far as the texture goes, that's fair, some folks like it some don't. She has the un textured version to choose from too. From the time I spent with her, bet you a nickle she (more importantly her mom) picks the textured version.

Striped top was her choice as part of her favorite casual outfit. This is supposed to be about her and who she is. You may tell your clients that their wardrobe choices stink, but unless it's completely beyond the pale, I don't.

That's cool about the journal.

She (and her mom) may pick the textured version over the un-textured version. What I don't understand is why you even did it, and presented to your client...unless, she specifically asked for a texturized background (which I doubt). Did you provide a menu of different effects and allow the client to choose their favorite? Just trying to understand what you were trying to achieve.

As for the striped top, I get that it's about her, believe me, I do...but, to me, it's no different that posing, location (background), time of day (lighting), etc...they are all elements of the photo (which I assume you advise). If I were you and she wanted the striped top, I would have suggested a different undershirt. And if she insisted on that outfit, perhaps a different location where the background colors are in the same color group/or complementary.
    edited May 14, 2012
    troopers wrote: »

She (and her mom) may pick the textured version over the un-textured version. What I don't understand is why you even did it, and presented to your client...unless, she specifically asked for a texturized background (which I doubt). Did you provide a menu of different effects and allow the client to choose their favorite? Just trying to understand what you were trying to achieve.

Understandable. My prime motivation on adding the texture was, well frankly, income. Mom had seen the picture posted below on display and went nuts about it. She had asked if I could do something that looked like a painting to one of her portrait too. That pose seemed the best candidate and the result was my "five minute fix".

7000289400_262f8e9789_o.jpg
    Baby Boxer by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr
    edited May 15, 2012