Rock Climbing at Bermuda Triangle : Seward Highway

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited March 19, 2011 in Sports
Short little trip report here from the Seward Highway. We climbed a few good ones at Dino's head which is much more picturesqe and I didn't even bring the camera out...I get to busy climbing! Then we went to a super easy crack so a friend could get in his first lead ever. We figured it should be a trad lead. Needless to say it was really easy so it wasn't even much of a challenge. Good for learning some gear placements though...oh and you cant beat the scenery.

this is not edited for color or saturation!

1209003120_WZNWG-XL.jpg

Proximity to highway = Close!
1209005124_bwKaW-X2.jpg

Still it was a good time to get on since we only had about 15 minutes to climb it before the sun was completely gone. The temperature was about 29 degrees when we started the climb.

1209011200_yckwz-X2.jpg

1209012818_vDKmt-X2.jpg

Excited to be on his first lead.
1209014321_tzcqi-X2.jpg

1209018772_f8VBT-X2.jpg

Oh and I made a little climbing vid. I want to make a long one this year but I need the practice first!

<object width="640" height="360" ><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010102501.swf&quot; /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9MTIwOTI0NTQ2NSZrPVY1Z3VHJmE9MTYxMDU1NTFfNE51UnAmdT1wcmV6d29vZHo=" /><embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010102501.swf&quot; flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9MTIwOTI0NTQ2NSZrPVY1Z3VHJmE9MTYxMDU1NTFfNE51UnAmdT1wcmV6d29vZHo=" width="640" height="360" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Comments

• chris.vultaggiochris.vultaggio Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2011
    Nice work - I've been over by the cook inlet there, pretty wild place. Couple words on the climbing shots:

Good job getting above your subject, nothing worse than the dreaded *ss shot in climbing photography.

Would be great to somehow combine the inlet shot with climbing - maybe a wider lens, side perspective, or different route. Don't see much of AK cragging in the mags, would be cool to see something like this get in. Maybe some better lighting or an ultra-wide?

Little crooked on the horizon - doesn't do much for the leader, makes it look even slabbier, and a bit disorienting.

Some ok emotion in shot two - but I guess you don't want him freaking out on his first lead - bomber #2 cam, btw. Get him on a 5.12 and you'll get gold with the facial expressions ;)

the hwy in first climbing shot provides cool perspective, will look nice with some better action of your subject (or a whipper)
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2011
    Thanks for the comments Chris.

A wider lense is definitely on my todo list. I cant wait. I am thinking 15mm or 10mm fisheye or 10-22mm I haven't decided yet. The new climbing guide update will have lots of pics of AK. Ive been trying to spread them around a bit. It takes a while to get AK climbing on the map, at least for cragging.

Ya I wish he was a bit more "scared" too! Sun was setting so we didn't have much time to get on a steeper route. Doih.