#98 My attempts

dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
edited March 20, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
This challenge has proven harder than I would have thought. All the first ideas I had were taken right away, as I am sure they were many of our first thoughts. I never dreamed it would be so hard to find contrasting colors. I guess the fact that I was trying to find something completely unique didn't help. I still have an idea or two for the weekend, I am not sure they will pan out. In the mean time, can you give me your thoughts on if these are even remotely in the ball park?

1. Iris

IMG2295-L.jpg

2. Heron Breeding Colors

IMG2402-M.jpg

Comments

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    Both are nice and the heron is so well in focus - to bad the water is not more blue...

The colors in the iris seem to be just good to me, and it's so well focused too.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • NelsonKNelsonK Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2012
    I like the iris best for this challenge. Great shot of the heron, but the colors don't seem to have enough contrast. For the iris, the composition may have the most room for improvement. Perhaps zoomed out to see more of the flower's structure, or a macro shot that isolates the features of greatest interest (assuming you have the requisite equipment). I really like the bottom petal with the stripes and pollen, a beautiful flower.
  • Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2012
    If it makes you feel better, my backup was a portapotty. Yellow roof, blue walls.
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2012
    Thanks all.
    If I can find another open Iris maybe I will try that. I could only get so close to this one as it was in my Mothers flower bed, and she couldn't figure out why I wasn't taking pictures of her pretty yellow one. Laughing.gif, but I have an idea for tomorrow if I have one.
    The heron... I know. If I just could have gotten a little closer to him and got a shot of just the yellow eye and purplish lores. Oh well... I got a good shot out of it either way.
    The portapotty... well, at least it was an original idea.
    edited March 17, 2012
    The shot you took of the iris is beautiful. If you are able to get something you like better tomorrow, that is great. But I wouldn't advise trampling your mother's other flowers to get it. I trampled my mom's flowers as a kid, it doesn't end well.
    edited March 17, 2012
    NelsonK wrote: »
    The shot you took of the iris is beautiful. If you are able to get something you like better tomorrow, that is great. But I wouldn't advise trampling your mother's other flowers to get it. I trampled my mom's flowers as a kid, it doesn't end well.

I am hoping one of mine will be open. If not I may have to go out searching in the country. I know a few old places where homes used to be many years ago and the iris should be blooming.
    edited March 18, 2012
    By golly, I think I may have something here. Am I missing anything?
    IMG2546-L.jpg
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Striking! Well done.
    edited March 19, 2012
    Thanks WhatSheSaw!

I tried a couple more shots this morning but didn't get any I liked as well as this one.
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    This last one's gorgous!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2012
    Really like it, nice capture
    edited March 20, 2012
    Very well done, I wouldn't change a thing (even if it wasn't too late). A great entry, good luck!