Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    Dinner
    Blacken Summer Squash with Basil

Yum! And so worth digging out the cast iron skillet for this!

369197039_e3ZvB-M.jpg

1. Cut about one pound of Pattypan or Sunburst Squash into little rounds.
    2. Cook under high heat on cast iron in a single layer for a few minutes until edges turn black. Flip. Cook for another minute or twoo. Plate. Finish the rest of the batch....
    3. Make a vinaigrette. In a pestle and mortar, mix fresh lemon juice, a hint of lemon zest, fresh basil, a bit of olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt. A small bowl will work too.
    4. Drizzle over the blacken squash
    5. Inhale while warm. And don't forget to chew.

Yum.Yum.Yum.

**** edited.
    Just realized that some people like measurements... If you don't have cast iron, any skillet will work to and I think a bbq grill should work too. I used less oil and added more basil and lemon (never measured). I also tried this without the lemon and used some good balsamic instead. Tasted just as fantastic. :eat And bonus: start to finish in less than 10 minutes.

3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
    2 Tbs. lemon juice
    1 tsp. lemon zest
    2 Tbs. fresh basil, chopped
    1/4 tsp. sea salt
    1 lb. summer squash
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    Blacken Summer Squash with Basil

Yum! And so worth digging out the cast iron skillet for this!

1. Cut about one pound of Pattypan or Sunburst Squash into little rounds.
    2. Cook under med-high heat on cast iron in a single layer for a few minutes until edges turn black. Flip. Cook for another or so and plate. Finish the rest of the batch....
    3. Make a vinaigrette. In a pestle and mortar, mix fresh lemon juice, a hint of lemon zest, fresh basil, a bit of olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt. A small bowl will work too.
    4. Drizzle over the blacken squash
    5. Inhale. And don't forget to chew.

Yum.Yum.Yum.

That looks awesome! I'm so making that tonight. I just ahve to pick up some basil and a lemon! I'm going to add a little fresh ground black pepper to the vinaigrette.
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2008
  • NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    jfriend wrote:
    An unexpected dose of common sense from the FDA: http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/news/ng.asp?n=84404-fcs-natural. Probably not all that meaningful in the grand scheme of things, but it looks like foods with HFCS at least can't be labeled as "natural".

I wonder if this has anything to do with the advertisements I've been seeing on the tv the past couple of days touting the benefits, safety and health of High-Fructose Corn Syrup. It's just odd to see them talking about how safe it is "it's made from corn" and all.

Anyone seen these cropping up? Kind of disturbing to me after reading all this. eek7.gif
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    NomadRip wrote:
    I wonder if this has anything to do with the advertisements I've been seeing on the tv the past couple of days touting the benefits, safety and health of High-Fructose Corn Syrup. It's just odd to see them talking about how safe it is "it's made from corn" and all.

Anyone seen these cropping up? Kind of disturbing to me after reading all this. eek7.gif
    I have seen them - a load of CR*P. It's scary what they can basically call nutritious nowadays.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2008
    NomadRip wrote:

They make fuel from corn. I wouldn't drink that... :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited September 13, 2008
    Here's what we did last night:

1 can of unsalted, vegan pintos
    1 can of water
    1/4 teaspoon Mapuche spice
    A few pinches of seasalt (if desired)
    1 tablespoon liquid smoke

Put the beans with the can's liquid in a pot. Add the additional can of water, the Mapuche spice, seasalt, and liquid smoke. Cook the beans over medium to low heat, stirring occasionally. Keep this up until the liquid thickens a lot. You can always add a tablespoon of water if the beans get too thick. The stirring helps break up some of the beans so that it thickens.

Cook some rice. Me, I prefer plain old white rice for this. It's not "healthy", but you can use whatever you want.

Dice up a lot of tomatoes. I use cherry tomatoes as they have less juice . Shred a lot of romaine and baby spinach.

Add a bunch of the cooked rice to a bowl, cover with a decent ladle of the beans. Top it off with the lettuce, spinach, and tomatoes. Eat and enjoy.

I usually keep a bottle of Tabasco Chipotle for some added kick to the meal.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2008
    We begin again constantly
    Hello All-

Remember me? rolleyes1.gif

I was feeling the pressure a few others have mentioned feeling as well of too much going on in our lives to be able to get to everything. My "one big thing" was a work project for a few months. So I did like others have done and decided what was important to me so I could prioritize time.

I am still a whole food herbivore, still not quite vegan. Sushi is my guilty pleasure. However the diet is still paying dividends, just ask the local clothing shop. I have lost two inches off my waist and about 13% of my starting body weight in five months. My coworkers have gotten behind my efforts. What started as an oddity to them has been embraced. A few of them have made comments about the "green slime" I drink for breakfast so Gently Mad will make them one the next day, the response every time is positive. We also made four dozen of Anne's great muffins when I had to do morning presentation to the sales team. It wasn't until afterward when someone asked that they found out they were vegan muffins. I am now getting to pick the restaurants for lots of the biz meals.

I think my blood pressure has gone down, the reason I say think was that the last time I went to the Dr. it was for a gout flare up and it was a little high but he said that was probably due to the pain.

So that is one of the reasons I came to this thread first when I found time to start surfing the net... Anyone got any insight on gout that they care to share? The flare ups are more common than previously. I used to go a year or so between flare ups, now it might be a month.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited September 22, 2008
    So that is one of the reasons I came to this thread first when I found time to start surfing the net... Anyone got any insight on gout that they care to share? The flare ups are more common than previously. I used to go a year or so between flare ups, now it might be a month.
    Are you drinking plenty of H2O? Are you eating a lot of purine-rich foods?
    edited September 22, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Are you drinking plenty of H2O? Are you eating a lot of purine-rich foods?

Hmmm good thing to check, I did not even think to check that, hence the reason I asked. I might have to look at the amount of spinach and asparagus I am eating now... In terms of water, two liters a day (I have a SIGG bottle) one bottle in the morning at the office and one after lunch.
    -=Bradford

• LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2008
    Just made Nancy's Awesome Tomato and Kale soup for lunch from the Tastebook, and after some tweaking for my personal taste: YUM!

I like my tomato soups a bit more tomato-y and spicy, so these are my tweaks that will carry over to the next time I make this:

- Double the garlic and the red pepper, plus add 1/2-1 tsp black pepper.
    - I used a 1-lb. bag of kale, then finely chopped it. I have no idea if this is more or less than "5 cups," but it worked for me.
    - After boiling the kale, I'm going to puree it in a blender then return it to the pot. I did this too late in the process this time, after I found my soup too "crunchy" from all that kale. :D
    - I used two cans of diced tomatoes instead of one. Super yumminess.
    - Added 1/2 cup white wine vinegar. May use less next time because I only had half the veggie broth available this time, lessening the natural "flavor boost."

Perfect lunch for a nice, cool day.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Just made Nancy's Awesome Tomato and Kale soup for lunch from the Tastebook, and after some tweaking for my personal taste: YUM!

I like my tomato soups a bit more tomato-y and spicy, so these are my tweaks that will carry over to the next time I make this:

- Double the garlic and the red pepper, plus add 1/2-1 tsp black pepper.
    - I used a 1-lb. bag of kale, then finely chopped it. I have no idea if this is more or less than "5 cups," but it worked for me.
    - After boiling the kale, I'm going to puree it in a blender then return it to the pot. I did this too late in the process this time, after I found my soup too "crunchy" from all that kale. :D
    - I used two cans of diced tomatoes instead of one. Super yumminess.
    - Added 1/2 cup white wine vinegar. May use less next time because I only had half the veggie broth available this time, lessening the natural "flavor boost."

Perfect lunch for a nice, cool day.

Sounds awesome! I will have to try that too now that the days are getting cooler and we always have so much kale around here. :D

OTOH I have trouble keeping enough soup stock in the house. Even though it's easy to make a ton at once, it never sticks around very long.

It might be high time for another trip to Sunflower, too lol3.gif
    schmoo wrote:
    We have been trying to get there. Perhaps a get together on a weekend?
    schmoo wrote:

Y'know, I'm starting to feel a little guilty that you keep coming down here and I've yet to live up to my end of the deal to come up there! But...only a little. Because it is Sunflower. :D
    RogersDA wrote:

I'm game! clap.gif
    RogersDA wrote:

IN!!

Total Dgrin food nerd meetup. lol3.gif
  • zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Y'know, I'm starting to feel a little guilty that you keep coming down here and I've yet to live up to my end of the deal to come up there! But...only a little. Because it is Sunflower. :D

You can come and check out our Liquid Earth. It's pretty neat. http://www.citypaper.com/eat/place.asp?id=2308
    Travis
    Sunflower - this Saturday? I can easily convince the wife and child to go to Tyson's for a day, then Sunflower for dinner.

It doesn't have to be this Saturday - that's just a suggestion.

Do we need reservations? If so who should handle that?
    RogersDA wrote:
    Sunflower - this Saturday? I can easily convince the wife and child to go to Tyson's for a day, then Sunflower for dinner.

It doesn't have to be this Saturday - that's just a suggestion.

Do we need reservations? If so who should handle that?

I have to work on Saturday evening, which is right in the middle of dinnertime so that wouldn't work for me at least. Maybe lunch? Even if I can't make it, I doubt you'd need reservations, although I have never been there at primetime so I'm not 100% certain. Kerry? ear.gif
    zweiblumen wrote:
    You can come and check out our Liquid Earth. It's pretty neat. http://www.citypaper.com/eat/place.asp?id=2308

I'm game! I could manage it this week or the coming weekend (depending on the Sunflower plans). Next week is going to be, um, extremely not pleasant at work, so I won't be able to get away for once. :cry I'll take this to e-mail for planning. thumb.gif

I've been to Sunflower during peak times, and we wouldn't need reservations. I could do lunch on Saturday. thumb.gif
    As for weekends - the only long-term commitment I have is to take my daughter to her gymnastics class every Saturday morning from 0900 to 1100.

Outside of that my weekends are pretty open. If you all give me enough advanced notice I will meet you all there for lunch or dinner.

Now - are you all talking about the Sunflower in Falls Church or the one in Vienna? My guess is that it would take about 1 hour to get to the Falls Church location, and another half hour after that to get to Vienna.
    edited September 24, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Now - are you all talking about the Sunflower in Falls Church or the one in Vienna? My guess is that it would take about 1 hour to get to the Falls Church location, and another half hour after that to get to Vienna.

We've gone to the one in Falls Church, but Travis mentioned Vienna might be easier on him and Schmoo. Since they came to the one close to me, I offered to make the long hike out to Vienna if it's easier for them. :D

Going to PM you my e-mail addy so we can coordinate Sunflower goodness. thumb.gif
    edited September 26, 2008
    edited September 27, 2008
    Kerry, Steph, Travis: Great lunch today. It was good to finally put faces to names. :D

We'll have to do it again!
    edited September 29, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Kerry, Steph, Travis: Great lunch today. It was good to finally put faces to names. :D

We'll have to do it again!

Definitely! It was great to chat and eat and meet your family. Sorry it rained so much!

Next time I am totally getting that chocolate ice cream.
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    I finally did it for real. I started the 6-week plan on Monday and things are going great! Tuesday was VERY hard, i guess my body was angry because of the lack of refined sugars and fats. I was feeling really cloudy-headed all day which eventually turned into a full-blown migraine by bedtime. I still fought and stuck with the ETL plan, though I didn't end up eating much at all because of the headache.

Anyhow, so today is day 4 and things are going well. I'm trying out recipes from the book and have actually found some stuff my carnivorous husband said "can we have this every night?" eek7.gif

I've given the book to 2 other people so far, though I have little hope that they will follow it - just having read the information i think will help in the long run (as they will hopefully try to eat more vegi and less meat).

Made my first fruit+spinach smoothie just about 15 minutes ago. It turned out very dark, almost black but tastes amazing. I don't have a great blender yet so I used my food processor and it worked like a charm. "mixed fruit" frozen fruit, spinach, blueberry, and some oat bran. Ended up having to use a little Soy Milk to get the processor to mix it up right.

I used about 1/2 or 1/3 bag of baby spinach, how much spinach do you useually put in?
    ~ Lisa
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:

I used about 1/2 or 1/3 bag of baby spinach, how much spinach do you useually put in?

I usually use about a 1/2 lb., but that's for me and my wife.

I've pretty much settled on something like this (for a double batch):

water
    1 banana (sometimes 2 if they're starting to go off)
    seasonal fruit (peaches, melon, apples, pears, local kiwis, figs, etc.)
    5 oz. approx. frozen blueberries
    maybe some frozen mango or pineapple, depending on the seasonal fruit
    raw, brown flax seeds, about a TBS.
    tsp. bee pollen (helps my allergies)
    sometimes some raw cacao
    1/2 lb. frozen spinach
    occasionally a carrot

Also, lately I've been trying some frozen wheatgrass juice I get at Whole Foods and frozen pure Acai juice, also at WF. I like both a lot in my smoothies.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited October 2, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    I finally did it for real. I started the 6-week plan on Monday and things are going great! Tuesday was VERY hard

Starting is the hardest part. Congrats.

Now in terms of how much to use... that always depends. Part of it to me is the taste. If I get too much spinach in there it does not always have the right mixture of flavors - it just tastes like a spinach shake. While not bad per se not exactly something I like to drink.
    -=Bradford

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2008
    Funny, I have never tasted the spinach, and I put quite a lot in. Now, Kale, yeah Kale overpowers fruit in a smoothie!!!
    thumb.gif on the flax
    thumb.gifthumb.gif on the acai juice - I love the stuff!
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    Starting is the hardest part. Congrats.

Now in terms of how much to use... that always depends. Part of it to me is the taste. If I get too much spinach in there it does not always have the right mixture of flavors - it just tastes like a spinach shake. While not bad per se not exactly something I like to drink.

thanks everyone for your tips. I put more spinach in today's smoothie and more blueberries. I also found that with a dash of cinnamon gives the smoothie a really nice hint to it.

Dang, i'm starting to run low on vegies already (thats good, usually they just go bad in the fridge rolleyes1.gif)

I am thinking about getting a dehydrator for some items and for making quick fruity snacks i can take on airplaines and stuff. Does dehydrating an item make it totally useless as far as nutrition goes? Do any of you use one to make your own "sun dried tomatoes" and the like?
    ~ Lisa
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2008
    Dr. Fuhrman was on the radio today in Atlanta. I did not hear it, but had a friend tell me all about it. I let her know I had read his book, but hearing him seemed to motivate her, so perhaps it will motivate a lot of others to eat healthier.