Mac or Windows? Feeling Down

Comments

• marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    sebpayne wrote:
    • All my G4 Macs are near-hopeless for any serious work

How I wish I had a G4. That's the future to me!
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    Wow.. I got as far as the first line.. an $1800 PC!

That PC came from the same dealer that Andy used when he decided that G5 Macs were better compute/$$ on the high end.
    If not now, when?
  • sebpaynesebpayne Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    That PC came from the same dealer that Andy used when he decided that G5 Macs were better compute/$$ on the high end.

Was it an actual PC dealer or a department store?
  • NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Ahh, I kind of see it then. It must have been quite a setup though. I mean if he was considering this PC vs a quad proc Apple. What was it, quad Xeons or something? Maybe a pair of dual cores?

What was the date on those numbers? From what I've seen the dual core Intel/AMD procs have come down in prices quite a bit. On the AMD side (which I have been following) the mobos and chipsets have come down in price even more. Like I said, a DIY'er could get quite a bit of mileage out of that money..
    edited February 1, 2006
    It seems to me that the consensus is that 'pro' high end Macs are great but the not-so good lines (like that ones I own) are possibly not the best choice.

/me wonders about a KVM with Mac for emailing, music and web browsing and a PC for photograph work and school work. How does that sound? A healthy 'mix' of the tow :):

Seb
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    Amazon just slashed the price on the 20" iMac G5 to 1349 after rebate...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited February 1, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Amazon just slashed the price on the 20" iMac G5 to 1349 after rebate...

Interesting...I guess it is to do with the move to Intel. No good to me :cry

Seb thumb.gif
    edited February 1, 2006
    Wow!

Radial Blur on iBook G4 (1GHz G4, 640mb, Photoshop CS2): 3m49s
    Radial Blur on Toshiab A60 (2.8GHz, 768mb, Photoshop Elements 4): 20s

Is this the RAM, Photoshop CS2 vs. Elemts or what? They both had no other applications running! What is up with this !!?!?!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    sebpayne wrote:
    Wow!

Is this the RAM, Photoshop CS2 vs. Elemts or what? They both had no other applications running! What is up with this !!?!?!

27081793.DSC07120sm.gif
    edited February 1, 2006
    And that means what now? I'm a orange head? I'm an idiot? :):
    edited February 1, 2006
    sebpayne wrote:
    And that means what now? I'm a orange head? I'm an idiot? :):
    It means, apples and oranges
  • edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    In the beginning was Word for Mac, for lo, Bill Gates had a vision, and returned to his people and said "I have seen the future of computing, and it is the Macintosh, and we will develop software for it." And it was so. And the Mac thrived, and it was good.

And Bill Gates said to Steve Jobs, "License your OS to me, and I will see it installed in the lowest valley and on the highest mountaintop, and in every office in the land, Macintosh computers will run Microsoft software and the future will be bright, and we shall prosper."

But Steve Jobs was a suspicious man, and he saw no need to give away what was his and he turned from Bill Gates and sent him home with nothing. And Bill Gates found the taste of defeat bitter indeed.

And Bill Gates said to his people, "Give me a Mac on a PC!" And lo, a child was born, and they called the child Windows, and it was an ugly child and the Macintosh laughed at it and called it clumsy, but Bill Gates plotted his revenge and said "For it is written, Windows and cheap PCs will rule the world." And it was so.
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski
    edited February 2, 2006
    Yeah, where to actually begin?
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    marlof wrote:

wow...workbench 1.1...that was a trip, tks marlof

Im still mad as hell for paying an extra $280 for 2 meg ram.
    edited February 2, 2006
    Reporting from the field
    Grrr...

I brought my Windows laptop into school today to see how it worked out. I wish I brought my iBook like I normally do. Yes, Macs are better. Sure, PCs may be a bit faster but this doesn't compensate for:

* Weight - I am giving myself a hernia
    * Heat - It is cooking my breakfast nicely
    * Usability - Don't go there
    * Size - It is huge - I had to bring a special laptop case. Never agin.

I'd rather wait a bit longer for a radial blur than use these machines. Sorry guys, I agree with you all. Macs are better :): . I'll work out my issues when I get home. Thanks Andy and David thumb.gif

Seb
    edited February 2, 2006
    marlof wrote:

You beat me to this. We had both a Alto and a Lisp Machine at grad school in 1978. But we also had our own home made thing: a unix machine with a GUI. Actually it was a time sharing system with with 6 graphical monitors.
    If not now, when?
    edited February 2, 2006
    sebpayne wrote:
    * PDA syncing is no where near as good as Windows

:haha

You've got to be kidding. Syncing couldn't be easier for the smarter set:

I have a G5 and a Powerbook. Changes made on either system to my address book, calendar, email, bookmarks - they're all sync'd automagically with .Mac - so, both systems are always up to date.

But fine - you want a Mac but you don't want to use .mac - OK...

I just bought a new cell phone - Motorola Razr - I enabled Bluetooth on the phone, told it to "discover" my powerbook - my powerbook asked me "wanna sync up with that razr?" I said "yes." Powerbook asked "what do you want to sync?" I said, "address book and calendar." Powerbook said, "OK, I'm doing it... " and "OK - I'm done."

I have 23 years of peecee experience (nightmares) and 13 months of Apple nirvana. My PDA syncing experience just took me to super-nirvana.
    edited February 2, 2006
    sebpayne wrote:
    Wow!

You can't compare Elements and CS2

Run CS2 on the Intel box.

Powerbook G4 2gb Ram 1.67ghz:

I ran this test PS CS2 and it came in in 1min 59 seconds.
    edited February 2, 2006
    Andy, you're talking about syncing two Macs, and syncing a phone. Try syncing a real PDA, like a Pocket PC or a Smartphone. Try syncing to other stuff than the Mac supplied iapps. There's two applications you can use: Missing Sync for Pocket PC and PocketMac. Both applications have far more issues than Activesync on Windows.

But there's no way any other PDA can do the stuff my Pocket PC Phone Edition can do, which allowed me to dump my notebook and only use a PDA back when I led a mobile life. And believe me, I've tried all that were available to me (SE, Nokia, Palm, Handspring). So my Pocket PC is pretty essential to me. The bad sync experience I've had with the Pocket PC on a Mac is one of the reasons I've always had Windows on the side.

I've been pretty close to the Windows Mobile developing group for the past four years, and I've been asking for a decent Mac sync for all that time. But so far, no good. I did end up sitting in Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates presentations taking notes on my iBook, so it still was a pretty good experience. ;)
    edited February 2, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    PocketMac. Both applications have far more issues than Activesync on Windows.

Bah! I spent the last 13 months using Pocketmac[/ur] with my BlackBerry and has Zero problems. None. Zip. Nada.

And the first 7 of those months was with Entourage. The later months, just Mac Mail, iCal, etc etc
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    I've been pretty close to the Windows Mobile developing group for the past four years, and I've been asking for a decent Mac sync for all that time. But so far, no good.
    Is there any compelling reason for Micrsoft to write this port?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited February 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:

I'm glad the Goggin's worked out the Blackberry sync better than Pocket PC sync. They're actually great guys to deal with, and I wish them best. But their Pocket PC product still is not very polished.
    edited February 2, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    Is there any compelling reason for Micrsoft to write this port?

As in trying to get the Mac community to use Pocket PCs? I dunno. Let me see.... a PDA platform that does multitasking. That has great screens. That had tons of graphics applications. My brother, who is an industrial designer, fell in love with my first Pocket PC. It was exactly what he wanted. Until he found out it would not sync with his Mac. So he didn't get one.

At the time I made my first request, Missing Sync and Pocket Mac did not even exist. I just don't think MS saw enough opportunities in the Mac world. And of course they were right, and I was wrong. After all their platform currently sells better than others do right now, and even Palm went Windows Mobile.
    edited February 2, 2006
    This should cheer you up!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    This should cheer you up!

Being with the "in" crowd has its downsides sometimes ne_nau.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited February 2, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Being with the "in" crowd has its downsides sometimes ne_nau.gif

You got it backwards, my friend, the "in" crowd is not the ignorant masses, but the select few that have some special knowledge that others are lacking...:D
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited February 2, 2006
    Darned, and there I was believing that the in crowd was those who used both Mac and Windows, and were fond of their cameras from that different Japanese company.
    edited February 2, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    Darned, and there I was believing that the in crowd was those who used both Mac and Windows, and were fond of their cameras from that different Japanese company.

I think that puts you in the "in"in"" crowd....
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited February 2, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think that puts you in the "in"in"" crowd....

Oh my, I have the feeling that being "in""in" is not in fashion right now. But enough on Mac and Windows. Rereading what I've written the past days made me realize I look quite cranky. Which I'm normally not. I just am a strong advocate for doing both parties justice (occupational hazard), and don't believe in unconditional enthousiasm for tech products by multinationals.

But I think I've said enough, and I should better shut up on this subject, and let the Mac Lovers (like me) love their Macs, and let the Windows users (like me) use their Windows boxes.

Back to the pictures for me.
    edited February 2, 2006
    It's easy to forget in the midst of these kind of debates that all computers suck, at least compared to what we really would like them to be.

Think of the Star Trek computer. Or of Data (also Star Trek). Windows and OS X are much more alike than they are like those.

Just to keep things in perspective (and to make sure that there is an infinite amount of computer design and programming left to do.)
    If not now, when?