How do I get my .tiff files to show in the gallery?

mafotografixmafotografix Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited November 16, 2009 in SmugMug Support
The file was uploaded but I can't see it.

Is there a setting somewhere that I need to configure? If so, could someone tell me where?

Also, on the topic of .tiff, Photoshop converts RAW to .tif and not .tiff.
I know you can manually rename it from just .tif to .tiff but why can't we simply just upload .tif files to the smugmug site?

Comments

• richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Does SmugMug accept .tif files? I thought it was just jpg and gif.
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photos

Rich
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Hello wave.gif

Unfortunately, we don't accept Tiff files, I'm sorry. We only accept JPEG, GIF and PNG images, as well as a variety of movieclips (see the link posted above). I'm sorry, I wish I had a different answer for you.
  • mafotografixmafotografix Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Hello wave.gif

Unfortunately, we don't accept Tiff files, I'm sorry. We only accept JPEG, GIF and PNG images, as well as a variety of movieclips (see the link posted above). I'm sorry, I wish I had a different answer for you.

Yes, how unfortunate. I was hoping to share files with a client.

I had the impression it did accept it because when you do an add file to any gallery (not the drag and drop feature) ... it actually gives you the option to add these types of files:
    .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png, .bmp, .tiff, .mpg, .mpeg, .avi, .mp4, .mov, .m4v

Any chance of .tiff one day be upload-able?
  • toddchattoddchat Registered Users Posts: 11 Beginner grinner
    edited January 20, 2008
    Yes, how unfortunate. I was hoping to share files with a client.

I had the impression it did accept it because when you do an add file to any gallery (not the drag and drop feature) ... it actually gives you the option to add these types of files:
    .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png, .bmp, .tiff, .mpg, .mpeg, .avi, .mp4, .mov, .m4v

Any chance of .tiff one day be upload-able?
    I found a great tool on the internet that takes care of the image size issue for me. I downloaded a FastStone Photo Resizer. It's a very easy to use program, and you can convert large TIFF files to JPEG, BMP, GIF or PNG files. I regularly convert TIFF files to JPEG, and the great thing is, there's no discernable degrading of the image. Oh, and did I mention that it's free? You can download it from www.faststone.org. Hope this helps!
  • mafotografixmafotografix Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    toddchat wrote:
    I found a great tool on the internet that takes care of the image size issue for me. I downloaded a FastStone Photo Resizer. It's a very easy to use program, and you can convert large TIFF files to JPEG, BMP, GIF or PNG files. I regularly convert TIFF files to JPEG, and the great thing is, there's no discernable degrading of the image. Oh, and did I mention that it's free? You can download it from www.faststone.org. Hope this helps!

Thanks so much Todd for that lead.
    Hmm... wonder if it is Mac useable. Doesn't seem to say on their website but the icon looks like its a Win.
    The only problem is that the client wants 16 bit files. I suspect that when you convert to JPEG its going to go down to 8 bit. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    I'd highly recommend using .png instead of .tif. These days the only real benefit to tiff is lossless compression (no jpeg artifacts), which png gives you, with better compression ratios (smaller files) in a lot of cases. You can save to PNG from Photoshop.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • toddchattoddchat Registered Users Posts: 11 Beginner grinner
    edited January 20, 2008
    cabbey wrote:
    I'd highly recommend using .png instead of .tif. These days the only real benefit to tiff is lossless compression (no jpeg artifacts), which png gives you, with better compression ratios (smaller files) in a lot of cases. You can save to PNG from Photoshop.
    I believe you're correct that you can only attain 8 bit with JPEG. The FastStone resizer will also resize to JPEG2000 which I think supports 16 bit, but I'm not 100% certain. Also, I couldn't attest to the image quality.
    I'm sorry to hear that FastStone is a Windows-only program. If I come across with anything that might be helpful to you, I'll post it here.
    Good luck!
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Reviving this thread.. I have 16bit TIFFs. So if I convert to PNG, will I lose anything, i think PNG is 8bit, right?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Reviving this thread.. I have 16bit TIFFs. So if I convert to PNG, will I lose anything, i think PNG is 8bit, right?
    Hello... not pngs please, JPGs. We can only display and print from your sRGB JPGs on the web :D

Our Supported File Types.
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Oh, ok, got it, I revived the PNG thread also :p
    I guess I will stick to JPEG