Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2011
    Help with Check & Update...
    I used Download Images... from S*E album right click menu to download 5 files from my Smugmug album. Then modified one. Next I used Check & Update to upload the 5 files expecting that only the modified file would actually be replaced. But all 5 files were uploaded and I ended up with 2 copies each in the album? What went wrong?

Please advise how Check & Update works. Also same question for Check & Reject and Check & Replace. Were special macros needed in Download Images... popup?

Thanks.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2011
    agallia wrote: »
    I used Download Images... from S*E album right click menu to download 5 files from my Smugmug album. Then modified one. Next I used Check & Update to upload the 5 files expecting that only the modified file would actually be replaced. But all 5 files were uploaded and I ended up with 2 copies each in the album? What went wrong?

Please advise how Check & Update works. Also same question for Check & Reject and Check & Replace. Were special macros needed in Download Images... popup?

Thanks.

Al,
    the download part has nothing to do with the upload. deal.gif

Download is merely a way to get your stuff back from your site (a fancy way though)

"Check & xxx" works for Upload only and it works like follows:
    When you upload an image S*E checks if you have uploaded the same file (filename is important) to the same album before (using S*E) by looking to its own local database.
    If the answer is yes, it can then make various decisions, as in reject or replace.

Now, if you didn't upload the stuff using S*E, you can still "prime" the detection logic by downloading images info first. You can do it by albums (or by images, but not in this case).
    Then S*E would know about them and would be able to recognize the duplicate.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited July 22, 2011
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Al,
    the download part has nothing to do with the upload. deal.gif

Download is merely a way to get your stuff back from your site (a fancy way though)

"Check & xxx" works for Upload only and it works like follows:
    When you upload an image S*E checks if you have uploaded the same file (filename is important) to the same album before (using S*E) by looking to its own local database.
    If the answer is yes, it can then make various decisions, as in reject or replace.

Now, if you didn't upload the stuff using S*E, you can still "prime" the detection logic by downloading images info first. You can do it by albums (or by images, but not in this case).
    Then S*E would know about them and would be able to recognize the duplicate.

HTH
    FYI...never have been able to get "Check & Update" to work satisfactorily. Tried several times...always get 2nd copies...will continue to try. Should downloaded files have same filenames as originally uploaded files without SM added prefix/suffix?
    Acadiana Al
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
    edited July 22, 2011
    FYI...never have been able to get "Check & Update" to work satisfactorily. Tried several times...always get 2nd copies...will continue to try. Should downloaded files have same filenames as originally uploaded files without SM added prefix/suffix?

This logic only works if:
    1) you uploaded images using the same copy of S*E
    2) you downloaded images INFO into this copy of S*E for the given target(s).
    Otherwise S*E has no clue what's up there in your SM account. ne_nau.gif
    HTH
    edited July 22, 2011
    Pro Feature Pkg Addition?
    Will the Pro Package feature option to switch thumbnails from square to original be coming soon?
    Acadiana Al
    edited July 22, 2011
    This logic only works if:
    1) you uploaded images using the same copy of S*E
    2) you downloaded images INFO into this copy of S*E for the given target(s).
    Otherwise S*E has no clue what's up there in your SM account. ne_nau.gif
    HTH

So if I uploaded the originals to SM using Lightroom, Photoshop or SM uploader, it won't work, right?
    Acadiana Al
    edited July 22, 2011
    1) square thumbs in pro packages - soon
    2) other uploaders: yes, correct. You have to download images INFO first before the logic can work
    edited July 22, 2011
    1) square thumbs in pro packages - soon
    2) other uploaders: yes, correct. You have to download images INFO first before the logic can work
    Do I download the images first and then the image info? Where is the info put?
    Acadiana Al
    edited July 22, 2011
    Do I download the images first and then the image info? Where is the info put?

Al,
    you don't have to download IMAGES.
    Just images INFO (much faster, btw).
    It goes into S*E's cache (db).
    edited July 22, 2011
    Al,
    you don't have to download IMAGES.
    Just images INFO (much faster, btw).
    It goes into S*E's cache (db).
    But if I wish to download the original from SM for additional PP, I can, right? Info is related to original filename, right?
    Acadiana Al
    edited July 22, 2011
    But if I wish to download the original from SM for additional PP, I can, right? Info is related to original filename, right?
    Oh, sure, that would work, too. ALl I'm saying downloading images is an overkill for duplicates logic to work, info is enough. Downloading an image also gets its info, that's a given.
    edited July 22, 2011
    Oh, sure, that would work, too. ALl I'm saying downloading images is an overkill for duplicates logic to work, info is enough. Downloading an image also gets its info, that's a given.
    Thanks. Will try it again later. Have a good day!
    Acadiana Al
  • SkintDadSkintDad Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 21, 2012
    Star*Explorer get image info
    Hi,
    Newbie to Star*Explorer so please be gentle!
    I have a Pro version and I am able to download Image information to my PC such as Filename, Orientation, caption, keywords etc. By right clicking any one of the listed files I have the option to "update Image Info", however, I do not understand where I can change the image info to be able to upload it.
    What is it I want to achieve? I want to be able to download all comments from the SmugMug site, delete/add/edit comments and then reload the comments to SmugtMug. I cannot see how to do this in Star*Explorer.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks,
    Trevor
    Windows 7 64 bit
    edited February 21, 2012
    SkintDad wrote: »
    Hi,
    Newbie to Star*Explorer so please be gentle!
    I have a Pro version and I am able to download Image information to my PC such as Filename, Orientation, caption, keywords etc. By right clicking any one of the listed files I have the option to "update Image Info", however, I do not understand where I can change the image info to be able to upload it.
    What is it I want to achieve? I want to be able to download all comments from the SmugMug site, delete/add/edit comments and then reload the comments to SmugtMug. I cannot see how to do this in Star*Explorer.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks,
    Trevor
    Windows 7 64 bit

Hi Trevor,
    unfortunately, the image-associated content (comments, etc.) is not currently downloadable via S*E. ne_nau.gif
    I'll mark this as a user feature request.
    Nikolai
    edited February 21, 2012
    Hi Nikolai,

I have misrepresented my requirement. I can currently download the image information for an album to Star Explorer which includes the "Caption" field.

I would like to be able to change/delete/add to the caption field for either individual or groups of images and then send back to SmugMug.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Trevor
    edited February 21, 2012
    Hi Nikolai,

I have misrepresented my requirement. I can currently download the image information for an album to Star Explorer which includes the "Caption" field.

I would like to be able to change/delete/add to the caption field for either individual or groups of images and then send back to SmugMug.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Trevor

Not currently, no. But I have it in the blueprints for one of the future Pro packages.
    edited February 26, 2012
    New version 1.0.0.284: new Albums3 package
    Albums3 Pro Package (applicable to Pro, Pro+ and Studio editions). clap.gif
    The package functionality is accessible via Albums context menu (More..) and includes the following features (applicable to a single album or a selection of albums):
    1. Change albums keywords
    2. Change albums description
    3. Enable/disable right click
    4. Show/Hide Owner
    5. Clean on/off
    6. Change square thumbs: for now, albums settings only for the future uploads, as there is no API to change existing thumbs. Once API is there, this functionality will be updated.
    edited February 28, 2012
    Pro Albums 3
    Hi Nikolai,

would I be right in assuming that this does not allowing editting of comments?

If not, do you know when there will be a package that will do so?

Many thanks,

Trevor
    edited February 28, 2012
    Hi Nikolai,

would I be right in assuming that this does not allowing editting of comments?

If not, do you know when there will be a package that will do so?

Many thanks,

Trevor

Hi Trevor,
    yes, you're correct, no comment activity here. Only what I have listed.

FWIW, edititing comments via API is not possible. You can delete existing ones and add new ones (it's not in S*E but it's possible), there is no API for anything else.

At this point I can't say when the "comments" functionality will be added to S*E. Frankly, I fail to see a business reason for this ne_nau.gif. If you could describe a use case that current Web UI doesn't cover that would help.

Thank you!
    edited February 29, 2012
    Hi Nikolai,

The scenario I have at present is one album where I want to add photographs on frequent basis and I might want to have a single comment for each batch. As an example:

Album - Baby May
    10 pictures added on Day 1, would like to have the same comment on every file, e.g. "Baby Mays 1st Day"
    15 pictures added on Day 5, same comment on each to to be "Baby Mays fifth day in incubator"
    3 pictures added on Day 7, Same comment on each to be "Baby May comes off CPAP for an hour today"
    etc etc.
    Clearly I could separate these into individual albums but when I have sent the original album link to friends I don't want to have to keep telling them there are new albums every few days. My first email would invite them to check back periodically to see the new photographs.
    Does this make sense - is there an easier way for me to do this outside of Star*Explorer? What I want to avoid is having to enter the same comment multiple times.
    Thanks,
    Trevor
    edited February 29, 2012
    Hi Nikolai,

The scenario I have at present is one album where I want to add photographs on frequent basis and I might want to have a single comment for each batch. As an example:

Album - Baby May
    10 pictures added on Day 1, would like to have the same comment on every file, e.g. "Baby Mays 1st Day"
    15 pictures added on Day 5, same comment on each to to be "Baby Mays fifth day in incubator"
    3 pictures added on Day 7, Same comment on each to be "Baby May comes off CPAP for an hour today"
    etc etc.
    Clearly I could separate these into individual albums but when I have sent the original album link to friends I don't want to have to keep telling them there are new albums every few days. My first email would invite them to check back periodically to see the new photographs.
    Does this make sense - is there an easier way for me to do this outside of Star*Explorer? What I want to avoid is having to enter the same comment multiple times.
    Thanks,
    Trevor

Trevor,

What stops you from putting that info into an image Description, let alone image Caption? headscratch.gif
    Comments are for your visitors, you have access to a more solid info ;-)
    edited March 1, 2012
    Hi Nikolai,

I am not sure how I get information into image description therefore I have to look at an alternative.

However, I have just seen on SmugMug that I can add comments to multiple photographs by using:

Tools, Many Photos, Caption/Keyword.

Seems to fit what I want to do for now until I can investigate image information further.

Thanks for your help,

Trevor
    edited March 1, 2012
    Hi Nikolai,

I am not sure how I get information into image description therefore I have to look at an alternative.

However, I have just seen on SmugMug that I can add comments to multiple photographs by using:

Tools, Many Photos, Caption/Keyword.

Seems to fit what I want to do for now until I can investigate image information further.

Thanks for your help,

Trevor

Ah, this is not about the commenting... this is changing caption (name) and keywords. That functionality is in fact in the blueprints slated for release later this year.
    edited March 1, 2012
    Thats good news, I will look out for it.

Cheers,

Trevor
  • MotophotogMotophotog Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2012
    Hi all,

Huge issue here. I've been using star explorer for a few years. This is the first big race weekend in the northwest for roadracing. I use it for all the various racers for their particular galleries.

At any rate, I've got a batch of 95 folders for about 2700 photos. It buzzed through 700 photos uploaded fast. Then (as it was known to do from time to time last year) the computer lost its internet connection (the yellow box that shows on the bottom right corner of win7 and other windows based computers.) The only way to get it to go away and work again is to restart the computer and restart Star explorer. I did this about ten times and now im to the point its only working a few photos before the program is somehow not agreeing with the good ol internet connection

I apologize if this question has already come to light. Looking for a reply asap! Thanks so much in advance!!!
    www.darrenbeattyphotography.com
    Contracts for: WMRRA, Sullivan Race School, AMA, Epic Trackdays, NMC Magazine
    ***Seattle - Shelton - Portland - Spokane***
    edited April 30, 2012
    Motophotog wrote: »
    Hi all,

Huge issue here. I've been using star explorer for a few years. This is the first big race weekend in the northwest for roadracing. I use it for all the various racers for their particular galleries.

At any rate, I've got a batch of 95 folders for about 2700 photos. It buzzed through 700 photos uploaded fast. Then (as it was known to do from time to time last year) the computer lost its internet connection (the yellow box that shows on the bottom right corner of win7 and other windows based computers.) The only way to get it to go away and work again is to restart the computer and restart Star explorer. I did this about ten times and now im to the point its only working a few photos before the program is somehow not agreeing with the good ol internet connection

I apologize if this question has already come to light. Looking for a reply asap! Thanks so much in advance!!!

Hi Darren,
    looks like you've got a connectivity issue. Try to reboot your DSL/fiber/cable modem (power cable off, 10 sec wait, power cable back on) and make sure you get decent upload ratings to San Jose server via speedtest.net. After all, if there is no good connection, no upload can be solid...
    edited May 1, 2012
    Hi Darren,
    looks like you've got a connectivity issue. Try to reboot your DSL/fiber/cable modem (power cable off, 10 sec wait, power cable back on) and make sure you get decent upload ratings to San Jose server via speedtest.net. After all, if there is no good connection, no upload can be solid...

Edited, because this is not the issue. Comcast was called. Acct was online, but they pinged anyway.
    edited May 1, 2012
    Hi all,

Problem not fixed. Comcast was called and because I'd reset my modem/router so many times, I essentially made the uploading worse. Comcast pinged my acct and fixed the issue. The second I was back online, i did the typical restart steps. and was able to use smugmug as a regular uploader, i could go anywhere online with no issues and with fast speed.

Once again, I went to use SE. It now wont even upload one photo, it gets the photos ready to go, heads to the upload green/black screen, and then simply eats up the internet connection. No freakin idea how this could happen.

Does anyone know? Nikolai thinks its Comcasts side... but i think going through the steps and seeing it only goes out when i use SE... that cant be the issue.

Has anyone else had this issue since upgrading to the newest version? I upgraded today before uploading and im wondering if i can uninstall SE and reinstall without losing all my information. :cry

Either way i have 180 galleries and 5000 photos sitting on my harddrive, not for sale and online. headscratch.gif
    edited May 1, 2012
    Motophotog wrote: »
    Hi all,

Problem not fixed. Comcast was called and because I'd reset my modem/router so many times, I essentially made the uploading worse. Comcast pinged my acct and fixed the issue. The second I was back online, i did the typical restart steps. and was able to use smugmug as a regular uploader, i could go anywhere online with no issues and with fast speed.

Once again, I went to use SE. It now wont even upload one photo, it gets the photos ready to go, heads to the upload green/black screen, and then simply eats up the internet connection. No freakin idea how this could happen.

Does anyone know? Nikolai thinks its Comcasts side... but i think going through the steps and seeing it only goes out when i use SE... that cant be the issue.

Has anyone else had this issue since upgrading to the newest version? I upgraded today before uploading and im wondering if i can uninstall SE and reinstall without losing all my information. :cry

Either way i have 180 galleries and 5000 photos sitting on my harddrive, not for sale and online. headscratch.gif
    Email me...
    edited May 2, 2012
    Technology glitches... No clue what caused it, no clue what fixed it.

What I do know is the next day without even restarting or doing anything differently, i restored the upload queue , and it just worked. Not only worked for all my saturday uploads, it then took sunday and uploaded that flawlessly.

One thing I will say, and I have zero idea if this helps. Instead of uploading everything at once, I split the upload into 1200 photo uploads (essentially half) for each day. The idea I had was that maybe it was having an issue uploading such a large queue of work. Either way it all worked out and i should say, this is the second time in 4 years or so I've gotten stuck and Nikolai was available within 30 minutes of emailing him. Which was very impressive. wings.gif