iMac Ram

sevans0579sevans0579 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited April 16, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
Hi all
I have just purchased the iMac 27inch 3,1 i5 and wanted to increase the ram myself because apple's fees are crazy. Therefore would I benefit a great deal more with 16gb or would 12gb be suffice for photo editing (Lightroom) and video editing (final cut pro) basically trying to way the costs against the benefits?
Also whilst on the subject of editing, does final cut pro recognise sony's AVCHD format?
Thanks for your time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comments

• sevans0579sevans0579 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Can anybody help?

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    sevans0579 wrote: »
    Hi all
    I have just purchased the iMac 27inch 3,1 i5 and wanted to increase the ram myself because apple's fees are crazy. Therefore would I benefit a great deal more with 16gb or would 12gb be suffice for photo editing (Lightroom) and video editing (final cut pro) basically trying to way the costs against the benefits?
    Also whilst on the subject of editing, does final cut pro recognise sony's AVCHD format?
    Thanks for your time

1. No. 12GB is sufficient, but more is better.

2. Googled your query: results link
    tom wise
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    16gb, especially for FCP X.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    Do some searching on the web.
    I have a 27" I7 iMac.
    It came with 4gb of ram. I bought 16 gb to install in it.
    Shortly after, the machine started to randomly shut down.
    It appears that there is a flaw with this machine and 16 gb of ram.
    Some others have replaced the flawed ram with chips from a different manufacture, and they say that worked.
    Me, I removed one board, so I have 12 gb of ram, and I haven't had a problem since.

I bought the ram from Crucial, but I don't remember the manufacture.

Like I say, do some research.

This is the thread that I found explaining the problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2567907?start=0&tstart=0

By about page 6 or 7 the problem is being solved.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited March 3, 2012
    Crucial is a good source for RAM. Did you send it back as faulty and get a replacement? Bad RAM happens.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Crucial is a good source for RAM. Did you send it back as faulty and get a replacement? Bad RAM happens.

The ram isn't faulty, its the iMac. I added a link to my post explaining.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2012
    I have a 27" imac that I upgraded with 16mb ram from Crucial several months ago. So far so good! (knock on wood.)

EDIT: I have an "older" late-2009 model.
  • PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    I have a 27" imac that I upgraded with 16mb ram from Crucial several months ago. So far so good!
    Ditto.... $105 for 16GB of Crucial RAM purchased through Amazon a few months back. Just remember to keep your old ram in case you ever need to send in the iMac for service or warranty work.
  • sevans0579sevans0579 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback, I went ahead and got 16gb from macsales, great service !

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 18, 2012
    I frequently receive goods from macsales in 24 hours.

I just replaced the hard drive in my wife's MBP with a solid state drive, and the time from submitting the order on-line to arrival of the drive was about 22 hours. I bumped up the ram at the same time, from macsales.com.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2012
    You might not need 16 right away, but for under 100$ you can get 16gb and put the subject wether you could use 16gb instead of 12gb at rest until you upgrade to a new machine in a couple of years.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited April 8, 2012
    I just this weekend set up a new 27" iMac i7 with the SSD option. I got 24GB RAM from macsales.com for $275. It slipped in easy peasy and I've had no issues with it in the 48 hours it's been running! Keep your fingers crossed. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2012
    I got a bad Crucial memory stick. First time I got Crucial and first time I got a bad stick (easy enough to test, just swap sticks until you identify the bad one) , and I have bought dozens. So... I'm back to Kingston memory, 100% success rate.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • CowboydougCowboydoug Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2012
    sevans0579 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Thanks for your time

Howdy... I have the 27" 2.93 i7 with 24gb... bought ram from OWC. 2x8gb & 2x4gb.. I'm not sure what to think yet... My machine is doing funny things as of late... I'm not sure if its CS6 or the new LR4 or the ram thats giving me grief... but something is... I've really got to write down what its doing... I couldn't even describe it at the moment... but I do see a huge improvement while pushing my gig+ size files
    I'm a Kidnapper... I take terrible pictures of people, then hold them for ransom.

Cowboydoug
    Certified Journeyman Commercial Photographer
    www.iWasThereToo.com