Entry Thread DSS #97 (The eyes have it!)

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited March 12, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #97

Welcome to Round #97 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.

It will run from Monday, February 20, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, March 5, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

***** Please note the time change. ******

The topic ready for your interpretation: The eyes have it!

Lets see come creativity here! The eyes are the focus but your interpretation is the key. Whether it be human, animal, vegetable or mineral, lets see what you can do!

There are no editing restrictions in this round.

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page: Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.

Comments

• dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    Love this one!
  • PappyRootPappyRoot Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    I just took a look at the gallery and I know who will be getting my votes so far. Great job everyone. I sure hope there are more entries. This is a great theme for a challenge.
    Sometimes, it is better to be kind than to be right. We do not need an intelligent mind that speaks, but a patient heart that listens. Unknown
    irpappyroot2.photoshop.com
    My flickr Account
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    I finally got a chance to take some photos of my 3 yr old granddaughter. She actually posed for me, so I've actually got one or two images of her where she wasn't moving... I'm not really a 'people' photographer, but I think I got a good shot of her for a change! Laughing.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    I had a vision right off the bat, it took awhile, but I got 'er done.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    I can't seem to delete the upload I made last night. The other half has a broken leg, and I figured I'd throw something up there in case I couldn't come back with a better image. And now I realize, I shouldn'ta thrown that image up there ...
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2012
    Only the Mods can delete something loaded to the gallery. You just need to go in and edit the caption to read "Please Delete" and they will remove it.
    edited March 5, 2012
    I'd still like to see the comments in the entry thread scaled back until after voting, but it is what it is I guess. Good luck everyone, there are some real interesting shots entered.
  • DeuceFourDeuceFour Registered Users Posts: 350 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Jeffro wrote: »
    I'd still like to see the comments in the entry thread scaled back until after voting, but it is what it is I guess. Good luck everyone, there are some real interesting shots entered.

What is there to scale back?
    edited March 6, 2012
    DeuceFour wrote: »
    What is there to scale back?

The comments in the entry thread.....I personally would rather the commenting (good or bad) wait until after the voting so as not to potentially influence the decision of others. I hold my comments until after the results are in.
  • SAMBALAMSAMBALAM Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    My quick thought is that I love the comments. I don't know if they sway my vote one way or the other because I like what I like and I vote accordingly. Also, yes this is a "contest" but I use it more for working on my creativity and expanding my skills. If I win that is nice, but I get much more out of the comments and how I can make my work better. If we waited to comment until after the contest was over, I feel like people would not go back and therefore, we would not have the opportunity to make ourselves better. My suggestion, if there is a strong feeling towards this, would be to keep the comments hidden until the voting comes out and then reveal them when the results are revealed.
    edited March 7, 2012
    Like I said, personal preference, I see some pics get absolutely no comments, while others do. Not that this does influence anyone, but it seems like it could. I just choose to wait until the votes are in, then I can give my comments, good or bad, without any chance of swaying someone one way or the other.
  • endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    The whole dynamics of the challanges are interesting. Not good nor bad, but interesting. The comments and interactions are part of that. It has been intriguing as a newbe to see the whole process. Still a great experince overall that has me stretching the way I look at things.
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    As a participant, I'd much rather get comments than votes.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    15524779-Ti.gif
    I also hadn't thought about it before, but I can't remember a comment that has made me not vote for a shot I liked, but there have been some comments that have made me re-look at a photo & there's a few that I've voted for after that second look that would not otherwise have gotten my vote.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 7, 2012
    SAMBALAM wrote: »
    My quick thought is that I love the comments. I don't know if they sway my vote one way or the other because I like what I like and I vote accordingly. Also, yes this is a "contest" but I use it more for working on my creativity and expanding my skills. If I win that is nice, but I get much more out of the comments and how I can make my work better. If we waited to comment until after the contest was over, I feel like people would not go back and therefore, we would not have the opportunity to make ourselves better. My suggestion, if there is a strong feeling towards this, would be to keep the comments hidden until the voting comes out and then reveal them when the results are revealed.

You have hit the nail on the head with this with the exception of the 'contest' part. If you have noticed we do not call them contests. We call them "Challenges". A Challenge is personal, it is to challenge you to improve on your own work. Thus commenting is a valuable source of this challenge to learn.

In a challenge the focus is learning, which is the meat of life and the prize is just gravy.

A contest is focused on winning only, which is self absorb pride and causes those who lose to think they are not worthy and become envious or majorly disappointed.

Now my preference is to participate in a challenge where I can be fed and even if I miss the gravy I am full and content.mwink.gif
  • Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Been a while since I've entered in the challenges. I miss the day where we used to generate a thread where everyone put up there fav 5 or 10 images with some feedback included. Seems like there's a lot less feedback on images in the gallery too. For myself, I'd say not to be shy and give me a full critique on my image. That's what I'm here for. A pat on the back doesn't help me learn. Ideas and different perspectives on what I could've done to give my image that little extra punch!!! Don't worry about hurting my feelings, I can take it!! :)
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
    edited March 7, 2012
    ghinson wrote: »

Me too, I welcome the comments, good or bad. I try to give feedback, good or bad, after each challenge I participate in. I just hold mine until after the voting, unless someone posts a pic asking for comments, prior to submitting it to the entry gallery.

Here to learn and improve. thumb.gif
    edited March 10, 2012
    Aspecto5 wrote: »
    I miss the day where we used to generate a thread where everyone put up there fav 5 or 10 images with some feedback included. Seems like there's a lot less feedback on images in the gallery too.

Yeah I miss those days too.. I think it used to be a lot better back in the day when we had judges. Seems like there was always a lot more comments and feedback then.
    edited March 10, 2012
    Wow, I waited and went back to read the prophetic words by Jeffro. What a let down....seriously? That's your best ensight for this community?

My favorite was accusing me of plagiarism without any thought to it.... "HEY SHE'S A WITCH!, BURN HER TO THE STAKE!
    If there is a shot out there like what came to my minds eye, I've never seen it.... petty so petty.

And for the love of god, if something doesn't work for you, try to suggest how to over come that technical flaw that bugs you about this or that... oh wait... thats right, you have no IDEA how, you just want it fixed to your liking.

seriously, your comments are never welcome on one of my entries again. PERIOD.

Yeah Im gonna have to agree with Aaron on this one.. Not one of Jeffro's comments added anything to help anyones photography.. Let me sum it up.. "One of many, thats a bad thing" "It Didn't grab me" Wow thanks for all that amazing feedback!
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited March 10, 2012
    Now play nice boys! I do not want this kind of thing to get out of hand. We are here to learn. I have posted a thread to help those who might not know how to do constuctive feedback. It might benefit you as well on giving constuctive answers on this forum when you criticize the way someone does something. deal.gif
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    I'd like to add my perspective on commenting. I see the discussion threads as the most useful place for me to offer and receive comments. For me, the learning takes place as the image is in progress. If I get my candidates up early enough in the two-week window, there's time to sort through the suggestions and try the ones that make sense to me. It is that process that helps me grow.

The Entry Gallery seems to be a place to give feedback on an image relative to the whole field. Since it is usually after-the-fact (because our 'final' choices have been entered or because the challenge is over), I don't see the feedback as having quite the same impact because I'm less likely to go back and rework the image.

I did like having 'judges' but I have come around to the members voting and can appreciate the 'jury of my peers."

I prefer to use the discussion threads to comments on works in progress and use the Entry Gallery for after-the-fact commentary.

Thanks to everyone who works hard to be open and offer honest feedback.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
    edited March 10, 2012
    Sorry I didn't kiss up to everyone. I never said Nelson stole the photo....it just reminded me of something I saw before, maybe not. Platoon came to mind....maybe that was what was going through my mind.

When I vote for a photo, it usually "grabs me"....by saying it didn't grab me, it doesn't mean it sucked or was bad. This is the internet, try not to read too much into the written words. With this topic "portrait style" shots seemed to be the obvious to me, therefore I looked for other things, things that would "grab me" so to speak.

I gave my comments prior to seeing the final rankings, but after the voting closed. I didn't win...big deal, if you did, or if you placed in the top 5, good for you. Just because someone doesn't get all crazy about your photo doesn't mean you have to get all butt hurt about it. I've had some pretty negative comments on here, I take them in stride, learn from them and move on. I don't want just the good comments, I like to hear why you didn't like it, or if the shot grabbed you...you know got your attention or not.

Most of the shots this round were nicely done, but only a few of them got my vote. They can't all be winners, well they can, but then it'd just be a tie.

Later.
  • FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    ghinson wrote: »

Nice!
  • NelsonKNelsonK Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    I moved this post to the thread on constructive criticism.. I got a bit disoriented.