Perigee Moon

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited May 7, 2012 in Landscapes
Coming this Saturday. Let's see some results.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/moonrise.html
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited May 1, 2012
    Great idea, Jack. Thanks for the heads-up. thumb.gif
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    Don't forget 'what goes up must come down' - my favorite shot last year was the super moon setting the next morning. TPE is your friend here.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    TPE? I'm just a cave man...
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    TPE? I'm just a cave man...

http://photoephemeris.com/
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    gonna try to grab some shots. Will share for sure. No matter what garbage I come out with.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    Andy wrote: »

I've heard a lot of people mention this tool. So I finally downloaded it and gave it a try. Its a pretty straightforward little app. Its really nice to have the angles for the sun and overlayed on maps like it does. It has given me a few ideas on places I wouldn't have really thought of otherwise.
  • ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    I have never shot the moon before with the intent of it being my main subject. I fully plan to be out there tomorrow and giving it a shot. Think I've got a nice place lined up that may allow me to have part of a bridge in the foreground. I am lacking in zoom power though only having a 200, but at least I am on a crop sensor. Took a few test shots tonight to see how I did. Manual focus, stopped down a couple stops from the suggested exposure, zoomed way in on the live view to adjust focus. Of course I'm stuck cropping a fair bit, but decently happy with the results tonight.
    edited May 5, 2012
    Nothing wrong with 200 on a crop and, in my opinion, the foreground makes the shot. There's no other way to show how super the moon is without a familiar object for scale.
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    ugh. clouds.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
    edited May 5, 2012
    ghinson wrote: »
    ugh. clouds.

Give it a few minutes. They are rapidly clearing over us on the North Shore now wings.gif
    edited May 5, 2012
    clouds screwed me.
    -Jack

• Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    just enough clear sky to tease up here in Seattle!
    edited May 5, 2012
    Had a crazy fog bank roll in and envelope us here. Made for some cool fog shots but no sign of the moon...
  • J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    I'm setting up my tripod right now to give this a try
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
    edited May 6, 2012
    Shooting through a horrible smog layer in SF this evening, this was probably as good as I got.

IMG0479-Edit-L.jpg
  • ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Here is a link to my album with 6 shots from this evening. Would love any comments if you take the time to visit the gallery.

This is probably my favorite one. Don't want to post all of them in this thread so here's just one!
    Moon-Bay-Light-L.jpg
    edited May 6, 2012
    ^^ Nice. Here's a wider angle on SF tonight.

IMG9782-Edit-L.jpg
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited May 6, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Shooting through a horrible smog layer in SF this evening, this was probably as good as I got.
    Not the typical it's-so-sharp-it-will-slice-your-eyeballs moon shot, but the comp and color more than make up for it. Well worth the effort, I think. thumb.gif
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Moonrise
    Yesterday evening in between Tequila shots for cinco de Mayo - still not recovered yet rolleyes1.gif

IMG4736-Edit-L.jpg
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Went out to Colusa NWR looking for the owl and chicks that I had seen the day before but did not have proper camera with me, did not find owl but did get to watch the moon rise. Really windy day with a lot of haze in the atomsphere.

White dot under moon is a great Egret
    SuperMoon5-4-2012-XL.jpg

Up a little higher and brighter
    SuperMoon2-5-4-2012-XL.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Got in a nice night hike and came home with a whole pile o' junk. This is the best of a very mediocre batch.

bigfullmoon-XL.jpg
    Jay
    edited May 6, 2012
    Don't forget - it's coming up again tonight...
    Hour after sunset so comps will be tougher to get a nice foreground element but still worth a try...here's hoping for a fog free night
    edited May 6, 2012
    kdog wrote: »

Nice! Can you move the moon to the right a smidge so it is directly above the Transamerica pyramid?
    -Jack

• LightMagicLightMagic Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Didn't get to go anywhere very scenic, just shot from a park near the house...

i-Fzwd3K8-XL.jpg
    edited May 6, 2012
    Tonight's Supermoon (and the back story)

i-qQZP8td-L.jpg

Twenty-four hours later, the chase is over.

I started my attempt to capture this year's supermoon (otherwise known as the perigee of the moon) on Saturday night. The moon was at its nearest point to Earth in its yearly orbit and that should have resulted in a larger and brighter full moon. Conditions seemed perfect as the clouds finally burned off at 6pm and I drove out to Fort Sewall around 7. As I neared my destination, I had to rub my eyes in disbelief...a thick band of fog had descended around the harbor. This was pea soup type fog and at points I could not see any boats in front of me or Gerry island nearby. I set about taking advantage of the foggy conditions and laying plans for the next morning.

I woke Sunday at 4:45am and found the moon bright and low in the sky. I quickly got into the car and started the chase again. My destination this time was Devereux beach. However, as I got closer, I noticed the cloud bank near the horizon and, sure enough the moon disappeared beneath it as soon as I got to the parking lot. I made the best of that dawn and made plans for one last attempt.

Tonight at around 8, I headed back out to Fort Sewall with few hopes for the moonrise. Conditions were excellent but the moon was slated to appear 1 hour after sunset making for poor conditions with which to capture any foreground elements. I had hoped to include the lighthouse in the image but wasn't sure if the moon and light would cooperate. As the moon rose and appeared brighter than I had anticipated, an idea formed in my mind and I slowly moved along the walkway. I kept repositioning as the moon rose hoping to get it as it crossed the very top of the lighthouse. As it did, I fired off three exposures aimed at getting one for the moon and another for the lighthouse. I blended two of those images by hand to get the moon detail and a smile finally crept onto my face...I had captured the famed 'supermoon'

*Can anyone tell me why there is so much banding showing up on this image? It is not present on the file in Lightroom. I exported it via Jfriedl's plugin at 90% quality headscratch.gif
    edited May 6, 2012
    Some nice stuff in here! Eyal, that one hits home for me.

My best from tonight...

falmouth_moon.jpg

d_moon.JPG
    -Jack

edited May 7, 2012
    LightMagic wrote: »
    Didn't get to go anywhere very scenic, just shot from a park near the house...

i-Fzwd3K8-XL.jpg

Lots of really great shots in this thread. But this one.... bowdown.gif
  • byoshibyoshi Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2012
    I wasn't in the right location for the rise, so had to settle for a snap over some trees with cars.

perigee-super-moon-rising-L.jpg

perigee-super-moon-griffith-L.jpg
    Landscape and Nature photography
    site - http://www.bay-photography.com/
    blog - http://bayphotos.blogspot.com/
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited May 7, 2012
    Last night:

i-vSpXjQL-XL.jpg