Pulled the trigger on a ball head!

manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
edited February 12, 2009 in Accessories
Placed an order today for a Really Right Stuff BH-55 with Pro II clamp and an L-plate for my D700. I still have to get a tripod for it... but the first step has now been taken! :D

Seemed like the top names for ball heads in my online research were RRS, Markins, and Arca Swiss. I went with RRS because of their full range of accessories (plates, brackets, etc.) and their nice website that lays out all their stuff and helps you decide what you need.
"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 23, 2009
    Get a Gitzo and be done with it. Which one depends on what lenses you primarily shoot, and what subjects. Since you got such a monstrous ball head, you should be looking at the 2xxx or 3xxx series. Again, exactly which one depends on you. I went with the GT3530 LSV, because I wanted something solid enough for big telephotos, forgoing frills like center column and 4 section legs which are a liability for that kind of work. Also, I don't mind carrying the extra pound when I hike. Since you already went overboard with your ball head, you evidently don't mind either. :giggle
  • manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Get a Gitzo and be done with it. Which one depends on what lenses you primarily shoot, and what subjects. Since you got such a monstrous ball head, you should be looking at the 2xxx or 3xxx series.
    What, not the 5xxx series? mwink.gif
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
    edited January 23, 2009
    manbou wrote:
    What, not the 5xxx series? mwink.gif
    There's a 5xxx series? :wow

rolleyes1.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Get a Gitzo and be done with it. Which one depends on what lenses you primarily shoot, and what subjects. Since you got such a monstrous ball head, you should be looking at the 2xxx or 3xxx series. Again, exactly which one depends on you. I went with the GT3530 LSV, because I wanted something solid enough for big telephotos, forgoing frills like center column and 4 section legs which are a liability for that kind of work. Also, I don't mind carrying the extra pound when I hike. Since you already went overboard with your ball head, you evidently don't mind either. :giggle

+1 (i dont own yet, but its on my list after mucho reading and asking too)
    Aaron Nelson
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2009
    Agreed on the Gitzo. You'll get one eventually after trading up and up, so save yourself some money in the long run and get one now. 2530/40 or 3530/40 are great choices. Bigger if you have large lenses.

Great article:

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm
    edited January 24, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    There's a 5xxx series? :wow
    http://www.adorama.com/GZGT5531S.html?searchinfo=gitzo&item_no=10

Gitzo GT5531S Systematic Series 5 6X 3 Section Carbon Fiber Tripod, Maximum Height 52", Supports 55 lbs.
  • jkellermanjkellerman Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 27, 2009
    Where did you order from?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited January 27, 2009
    OK folks, no more discussion in this thread beyond the scope of equipment. Any further discussion beyond equipment will be deleted.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    OK folks, no more discussion in this thread beyond the scope of equipment. Any further discussion beyond equipment will be deleted.
    Seriously. My stuff is on my blog for a reason - not on Dgrin :)
  • cdubcdub Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Seriously. My stuff is on my blog for a reason - not on Dgrin :)

Apologies... My mistake.

Been spending too much time on dpreview. :)
    CW
    (shoot first, then ask questions)

www.cdub.ca | www.cdubphoto.smugmug.com | Twitter | Canon 5DII + Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Canon 580EX II, Gitzo GT1541 + Acratech GV2L
    edited January 28, 2009
    jkellerman wrote:
    Where did you order from?
    I ordered the head directly from RRS via their website; I am getting the Gitzo 'pod from a local dealer here in Japan (it's not in stock yet and I probably could have saved time and money by ordering overseas from Adorama or some place; live and learn!)
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2009
    manbou wrote:
    Placed an order today for a Really Right Stuff BH-55 with Pro II clamp and an L-plate for my D700. I still have to get a tripod for it... but the first step has now been taken! :D

Seemed like the top names for ball heads in my online research were RRS, Markins, and Arca Swiss. I went with RRS because of their full range of accessories (plates, brackets, etc.) and their nice website that lays out all their stuff and helps you decide what you need.

You'll love it - I have the BH-40 with the same clamp and an L-plate. I never thought I needed a setup of this quality until I had one. :D Enjoy your purchase!
  • VE6ABVE6AB Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 29, 2009
    As has already been stated, go for the best tripod in the beginning and save a lot of heartache and expense working your way up to the top of the tripod heap. In my case that is a Gitzo GT3530 LSV that I use with a combination of a Acratech ballhead for my smaller lens work, and a Jobu Black Widow gimbel head for my long lens work. My thoughts anyway.
  • RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2009
    I've owned the BH55 for a while now and don't regret my purchase at all. Is it pricey? Sure, but it is well worth it. I'd also recommend a Gitzo tripod for all the reasons the others have stated.
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
    edited February 1, 2009
    VE6AB wrote:
    As has already been stated, go for the best tripod in the beginning and save a lot of heartache and expense working your way up to the top of the tripod heap. In my case that is a Gitzo GT3530 LSV that I use with a combination of a Acratech ballhead for my smaller lens work, and a Jobu Black Widow gimbel head for my long lens work. My thoughts anyway.
    Why did you choose Jobu over Wimberly; just curious. ear.gif
    edited February 9, 2009
    I got the Gitzo GT5531S this weekend, with the optional center column. Here is the complete setup:

470499429_HjHM4-M.jpg

wings.gifclap:ivarclap.gifwings.gifclap:ivarclap.gifbarb
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    gorgeous.

wings.gif
    Aaron Nelson
    edited February 12, 2009
    manbou wrote:
    I got the Gitzo GT5531S this weekend, with the optional center column. Here is the complete setup:

Wow! Congrats! thumb.gif