HDR experiment

RoadkillRoadkill Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
edited August 27, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Playing with HDR and mixing it with non-HDR imagery. I like HDR, but not when people are in the shot.

So basically what I did was, feather copy and paste the area I did not want HDR onto the HDR image.

Is there a better way to accomplish this, or any other little tricks you have done with HDR's

debphil-L.jpg

Comments

• HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2011
    Roadkill wrote: »
    Playing with HDR and mixing it with non-HDR imagery. I like HDR, but not when people are in the shot.

So basically what I did was, feather copy and paste the area I did not want HDR onto the HDR image.

Is there a better way to accomplish this, or any other little tricks you have done with HDR's

debphil-L.jpg

I love the idea and though I've not tried this, It does seem to make for a better image. HDR images of people look to fake or comicy (is that a word?) sometimes.

I think what I would do is create the HDR image, then paste the correctly exposed image of the people over it. Now, use a layer mask to remove everything but the people. To me, this would be a bit easier and the edges would blend natually if you used a very soft brush.
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    With photomatix you can also do it, use the selection tool to bring back parts from one of the bracketed shots.
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2011
    But... all the labels are backwards... Oh, I see... you shot yourself in a mirror.

Very cool shot, nice that you were able to find an old drugstore with all the vintage bottles and shelving still intact. Cool place!

The HDR works well for the building interior, and you two are about the right exposure, I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out.
    wolf911 wrote: »
    With photomatix you can also do it, use the selection tool to bring back parts from one of the bracketed shots.

I will have to check that out, I have photomatix.

red_zone wrote: »
    The HDR works well for the building interior, and you two are about the right exposure, I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out.

Thank You. I meant to flip that too and forgot... lol I was grateful that the mirror was spotless. This was in St Augustine Fl.
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2011
    Roadkill wrote: »
    I will have to check that out, I have photomatix.

I believe you need 4.0 and greater. It's pretty slick as I will use it for deghosting or for skies that I just don't like and bring in the original sky.