Missing warranty card!!! New Canon 5D Mark III without warranty card?

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited October 16, 2012 in Cameras
I have received my Canon 5D Mark III today without warranty card. I bought it from "getitdigital" off from ebay. They claim that it is brand new USA product with 1 year USA warranty.

I have called Canon and they say that I need both the receipt AND the warranty card to have warranty for the camera.

I have called the store but they told me that they will email me the warranty card... It sounds strange....

Did any of you guys had the same experience with any cameras? what should I do? Should send it back and ask for a refund?

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    Did you give Canon the serial # to determine if its grey market or not? If its not a grey market camera I would wait for the warrantry card.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    I will call them right now!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited May 1, 2012
    I can only recommend a large camera purchase from reputable and authorized dealers:

B&H
    Adorama
    Calumet
    Tallyns

... are my recommendations.

We have sticky threads dedicated on how to avoid problems with major purchases:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=5393
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=374
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    Here's the storefront for the business you bought this from: http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0094.htm
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited May 1, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Here's the storefront for the business you bought this from: http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0094.htm

Is this good or bad...?
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    haring wrote: »
    Is this good or bad...?

Would you walk in off the street and buy a camera there? That site is full of storefronts for shady operators like the one you bought from. Stores like that can't be trusted, IMO. Either buy local, or stick with the list Ziggy posted.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • macwestmacwest Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    Be happy they shipped you a camera it could be a lot worse. now figure out if it really is a canon product. I would dispute the charge or god forbid you used papal
    Buy from Crutchfield. If you lived in NYC and ever stood in line at B&H returns I don't think you would buy from them. just my 2 cents.
    edited May 1, 2012
    macwest wrote: »
    Be happy they shipped you a camera it could be a lot worse. now figure out if it really is a canon product. I would dispute the charge or god forbid you used papal
    Buy from Crutchfield. If you lived in NYC and ever stood in line at B&H returns I don't think you would buy from them. just my 2 cents.

This thread is eye opening...!
  • henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    I have called Canon and they say that I need both the receipt AND the warranty card to have warranty for the camera.

I'm not defending the retailer here, but Canon USA gave you incorrect info. All you need for warranty coverage in the USA is a dated store receipt. Most manufacturers use warranty registration info for marketing and demographic purposes only.
    If you lived in NYC and ever stood in line at B&H returns I don't think you would buy from them. just my 2 cents.

I am sorry you've developed a poor impression of any aspect of our business. If there's a specific issue I'd be happy to address it.
    edited May 2, 2012
    sure along time ago when we were still shooting film and I was buying contax RTS 111 and you only had 3 in stock and everyone I bought was damaged one had a broken shutter and some gentlemen when I dared return the 3 rd body I think at the time if I remember were $2000.00 a pop. so when you didnt have another to give me in exchange you refused to refund my money you told me I was renting the equipment. So I had to drive to Kycorea I believe that was the parent company and they wanted to charge me 600.00 to fix a " brand new Camera. It left a bad taste in my mouth.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Would you walk in off the street and buy a camera there? That site is full of storefronts for shady operators like the one you bought from. Stores like that can't be trusted, IMO. Either buy local, or stick with the list Ziggy posted.

With due respect, their resellerrating (http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Get_It_Digital_eBay_store_getitdigital) is nothing short of phenomenal.

I've never bought from them, but it looks like they're running a respectable business.
  • rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    Have you triple checked everywhere, including inside the manual? Someone else recently had the same problem and found their card while reading the manual, even though they had flipped through it twice already....

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=217978
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    I have received my Canon 5D Mark III today without warranty card. I bought it from "getitdigital" off from ebay. They claim that it is brand new USA product with 1 year USA warranty.

I have called the store but they told me that they will email me the warranty card... It sounds strange....

Did any of you guys had the same experience with any cameras? what should I do? Should send it back and ask for a refund?

When i bought my 60D from Canoga Camera ( VERY REPUTABLE ) they kept the warranty card headscratch.gif

windoze
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    The warranty card is not needed for warranty service, at least, that is what Canon has always told me in the 4 RMAs I have filed with them. But, the fact one didn't come with your camera doesn't necessarily mean it's not a genuine item. I purchased my 5D Mark II from some no name in NY on Ebay in February 2009, and it came in a body+lens kit box, without the lens. What a lot of Ebay merchants do to make extra cash is part out body + lens kits and sell them separately; they make a couple hundred extra bucks off of it.

As long as the seller has a good lengthy feedback history, and the negative feedbacks aren't atrocious messes, its generally fine. What I mean by atrocious messes: If the negative feedbacks seem to end in war spattered with harsh remarks or unprofessional replies with the customer, then you want to find another seller that has a good returns policy and shows evidence of having done so in the past. Always check a sellers negative feedback to see if it shows that they usually make an honest effort to resolve problems. If they do, you shouldn't really have an issue with them. And if you still don't trust them, you can always message them with a question or concern, and sometimes you can pick up on their willingness to be helpful and their level of professionalism. That can also indicate whether or not you'd want to purchase a camera from them.

If you STILL don't trust them, just buy one from one of the affirmed honest sellers already listed.... Adorama, B&H, 17th Street, Beach Camera, etc
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2012
    This happened to a friend of mine years ago when he purchased a Nikon D80 and the 18-200VR form a similar vendor through Ebay. The lens was defective so he had to send it in to Nikon which as it turns out was not legitimate and this week he informed me that his D80 quit working after just 3000 actuation.
    I would not recommend buying from anyone other than the big legitimate sellers.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2012

I wish I could have that problem to be so close to B&H have had nothing but outstanding service from them but all on the inteernet, Never had to return anything but my experience with any business return process is to make it somewhat annoying to dissuade people from making returns.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    I've done returns to B&H... it's hard to see how they could make it any easier, a few check boxes, package it up and send it and your done. You have to pay the return postage of course, but I don't see a problem with that.
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    I wish I could have that problem to be so close to B&H have had nothing but outstanding service from them but all on the inteernet, Never had to return anything but my experience with any business return process is to make it somewhat annoying to dissuade people from making returns.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    For nearly every consumer electronic the warranty only applies when you purchase it from an authorized retailer. eBay almost never counts UNLESS it is an authorized retailer selling it AND they give you a standard retail receipt with your purchase - not an eBay invoice. You don't need a warranty card but you DO need a valid receipt.
    edited May 4, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    I've done returns to B&H... it's hard to see how they could make it any easier, a few check boxes, package it up and send it and your done. You have to pay the return postage of course, but I don't see a problem with that.

Thank you. Returns should be relatively friction-free and painless. In fact, for USA customers if the reason for the return is our error or you're exchanging an item that's defective out of the box, we provide a pre-paid UPS label for your convenience.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    Yes B&H have been Great with returns for me also...since the last 2 camera stores here do not stock anything much any longer and nothing of PROSUMER or Pro quality, I must purchase from the NET and B&H has done very well... 99.9% of my returns have been due to just not liking and item and just return it.... if I had been able to handle these items in store I would have known they qwere not going to work for me...and B&H has always been very nice about this fact and that has been the reason I give when I call them to return... normally when I return I just request store credit so I donot have to wait for refund....

Thanx B&H for the great customer service .....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited May 4, 2012
  • MntnKarieMntnKarie Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2012
    Not every camera retailer is shady on ebay. PMI Digital is very good and is an authorized Canon retailer.
    I have purchased a lot of equipment from them and they were excellent to deal with. You really have to do
    your homework if you shop on the "bay". B&H is prime, but there are times when I have had to looks else
    where for gear.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    You don't need a warranty card, you just need your purchase receipt to prove when you bought and that your lens is under warranty. I haven't been asked in 10 years for a warranty card when I send something in for free repair or checkup.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    I also have never been asked for a warranty card, but not receiving one would make me suspect that the merchandise was gray market, or worse.

Re B&H: I buy a lot from them but have only had to return things twice. Once, I simply ordered the wrong thing. The other time, something arrived damaged. In both cases, the customer service people were courteous and efficient, and the process was painless.

Re online ratings: I know nothing about the retailer in question, but I don't trust rating sites, because there are documented cases of retailers flooding sites with bogus reviews. There are lots of reputable, authorized dealers, both on the web and locally. I stick with them.
    edited June 7, 2012
    Henry,

I will only buy from you guys in the future!!!

Otto
    edited June 7, 2012
    I will only buy from you guys in the future!!!
    I'm blushing. Thank you.
  • guitstikguitstik Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    I personally buy from KEH but that is mostly because they are close to where I live.
  • michaelnmichaeln Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2012
    henryp wrote: »
    I am sorry you've developed a poor impression of any aspect of our business. If there's a specific issue I'd be happy to address it.

Henry, I have been a B&H customer for about 40 years now. I think my first purchase was an Olympus OM-1. During that time I have ordered many times, and every single transaction has been flawless.

You guys rock.

Michael
    Making Mediocre Images in San Francisco, CA
    http://michaelnel.smugmug.com
    edited July 13, 2012
  • Howard BarlowHoward Barlow Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
    As said, no warranty card required: From http://law.justia.com/cfr/title16/16-1.0.1.7.71.0.45.7.html

Title 16: Commercial Practices
    PART 700—INTERPRETATIONS OF MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT

§ 700.7 Use of warranty registration cards.

(a) Under section 104(b)(1) of the Act a warrantor offering a full warranty may not impose on consumers any duty other than notification of a defect as a condition of securing remedy of the defect or malfunction, unless such additional duty can be demonstrated by the warrantor to be reasonable. Warrantors have in the past stipulated the return of a “warranty registration” or similar card. By “warranty registration card” the Commission means a card which must be returned by the consumer shortly after purchase of the product and which is stipulated or implied in the warranty to be a condition precedent to warranty coverage and performance.
    (b) A requirement that the consumer return a warranty registration card or a similar notice as a condition of performance under a full warranty is an unreasonable duty. Thus, a provision such as, “This warranty is void unless the warranty registration card is returned to the warrantor” is not permissible in a full warranty, nor is it permissible to imply such a condition in a full warranty.
    (c) This does not prohibit the use of such registration cards where a warrantor suggests use of the card as one possible means of proof of the date the product was purchased. For example, it is permissible to provide in a full warranty that a consumer may fill out and return a card to place on file proof of the date the product was purchased. Any such suggestion to the consumer must include notice that failure to return the card will not affect rights under the warranty, so long as the consumer can show in a reasonable manner the date the product was purchased. Nor does this interpretation prohibit a seller from obtaining from purchasers at the time of sale information requested by the warrantor.
    You don’t pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso