Second Shooter Rates?

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited May 10, 2012 in Weddings
Hey Dgrinners.... long time no see! Thought I would pose this question, though I am sure it has been covered elsewhere I couldn't easily find it..... so... how much are you all paying second shooters?

I am a full time professional portrait and wedding photographer and just advertised myself as a second shooter in my local area ( about 2 hours north of NYC) I have done many of my own weddings but wanted to make some extra income and have a little less stress as a second, but I am thinking in order to do that, I would need to be paid accordingly. I come with a great reputation, an impressive portfolio, a creative mind and an easy going personality. I will be certified in the next few months (my portfolio already passed but I still have to take the written exam) I shoot with a Nikon D3s (soon to be D4!) whoo hoo! and have the whole gamut of Nikon top of the line glass as well as all of the accessories. I would shoot, cull, then minimally edit my photos and hand them over to the primary within 5 days. I would like to retain the option of using up to 10 photos in my portfolio but would put that the photos were taken under the auspices of the primary shooter's business.

Do any of you use your peers as 2nds? Those with similar if not more experience than you?

I have already had several inquiries but want to make sure I am doing the right math ya know?:D

Thanks in advance for any replies and enjoy your Monday friends!
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    Here's a perspective from a second shooter - I've shot several weddings, and my rate has been about $100/hr.

Also, in every wedding I've second shot, I am handed memory cards to use during the wedding. When it's over, I give the cards back to the primary so they can do their own style of processing to match the photos that they have taken. Once they have copied my images to their computer, they usually allow me to copy the images to my computer so I can process in my own styple and choose which photos to use in my portfolio.
  • Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Hi Sandy!

I think someone of your caliber would expect to see somewhere in the realm of 300-550/day for our area. Just having your equipment on site is worth that alone not to mention your talent. ;) I would expect to see somewhere between 200-300 for a day and thats only because Im less experienced only having shot 30 weddings or so. If your ever looking for a second, Im local. :)

I like seeing locals here on Dgrin! :)
  • innershellinnershell Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2012
    Holy shoot. $100/hr for second shooter. That's my rate as a primary!

In my area and based on the wedding prices that "sell", $100-200/day for second shooter is fair. Of course, your mileage may vary by location, demand, and talent pool.
  • JamesbjenkinsJamesbjenkins Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    OP, with your experience and gear, you'd be a huge asset on scene. I'd imagine many photogs might be a little intimidated at having a second with better gear or more experience than them.

I typically pay my 2nd $200-300 (unless it's my wife, then she takes the whole contracted amount and gives me a cut!)
    Proofing: clients.captured-photos.com
    Facebook: Like Me || Twitter: Follow Me
    Gear: Lots of Nikon bodies & glass, an office full of tools and toys
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    innershell wrote: »
    Holy shoot. $100/hr for second shooter. That's my rate as a primary!

In my area and based on the wedding prices that "sell", $100-200/day for second shooter is fair. Of course, your mileage may vary by location, demand, and talent pool.

I'm usually only there for three or four hours. Most of the time I only help out with the ceremony, formals, and a little bit of the reception. I then hand the memory cards over, take my check/money and head home... thumb.gif
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    Thank you for all of the replies! It seems there is a big range out there :-) I decided on about 60-75/hr depending on the time demands and who I would be working with. ( this is on the high end in my area but it has to be worth my while to leave the studio for a day) I was offered $700.00 by one person but not yet sure who I will be comfortable 2nd shooting with. I guess that styles and aptitude should kind of match. I really don't want to work under someone less experienced I guess is what I am getting at. But thanks again dgrinners! Much appreciated advice :-)
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    Probably want to have a minimum charge to at least make it worth your while to leave the house.

My guess is you need a minimum of $600. to make it worth it to leave the house.
    After expenses and tax that leaves you with about $250.....or so.

Shooting on their cards and handing the shots over is the way to go. Any additional editing time you put in will bring your profit down to pretty much nothing.
  • avangardphotoavangardphoto Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 6, 2012
    For burn and shoot I pay my guy $30/h plus expenses.
  • trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2012
    Interesting....

I stopped shooting weddings solo, or as the primary, several years ago...it started to get no fun. But I may consider shooting weddings again but only as a second. Just curious...how much do you (directly to all) charge roughly per hour as a primary?
  • avangardphotoavangardphoto Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    I can give you a range for Toronto market for wedding coverage:
    Low budget $500-$1500
    Mid budget $2000-$3500
    High end $5000-$10000
  • rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    I can give you a range for Toronto market for wedding coverage:
    Low budget $500-$1500
    Mid budget $2000-$3500
    High end $5000-$10000