M42 Super-Takumar 55mm 1:2 question

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited May 5, 2012 in Cameras
Good Evening Folks,
While shopping at an antique store in PA the other day, I saw an M42 Super-Takumar 55mm 1:2 lens for sale for $15. It sounded like a bargain. I didn't buy the lens simply because I don't have an M42 to EOS adapter. What I'd like to know is, is the iq good, and does any one have sample shots taken with the lens mounted on the 5D or 5D2 ? There were additional lenses like that, all M42 mounts, but none higher then $40. Thanks in advance :thumb
Have a good night :D
Jim...

Comments

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    I've tried this. It's a fun experiment at first, but it's just not practical unless you are determined to get good at manually focusing. And for that you'll need the high precision focus screen, or shoot in live view at 10x magnification.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    I think this is the lens you were looking at: http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Super-Auto-Takumar-55mm-F2.html. Sample pictures at that site.

For 15 bucks I'd be more concerned about sticky aperture blades and mold/fungus than IQ.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
    edited May 4, 2012
    The one to look for is the SMC Takumar 50mm, f1.4 (designated 1:1.4/50). It's gorgeous build and modern coatings, along with a nearly perfect optical formula, yield extremely good sharpness and high contrast, along with excellent color. Already very sharp wide open, it progresses to extremely sharp at f5.6.

For use on a Canon camera body you need an M42 (universal screw) to EOS adapter with a focus confirmation chip. The chip allows the camera body to think that you have mounted an EOS autofocus lens, set to manual mode. The body will still beep and light when you achieve prime focus. The process is similar to old "preset" aperture lenses, and you get used to setting the aperture open for critical focus and then stepping down by feeling and counting the aperture clicks.

KEH is the best place to look for these lenses, but it's common to find them with some internal "yellowing", which clears with exposing the lens to strong UV light through the optics.

In the following images, I used the Pentax 50mm exclusively at f5.6 and using the focus confirmation chip on the adapter. Canon XT/350D body.

Just a few snaps. Overcast with no distinct shadows. ISO 800 because I was testing for sharpness.

82051204-D.jpg

82051266-D.jpg

82051298-D.jpg

82051322-D.jpg

82051370-D.jpg

And a couple of full-resolution crops:

82271260-D.jpg

82271271-D.jpg

Notes:

A very low contrast day, so moderate USM applied. Sharpness at f5.6 is excellent across the frame. All shots outdoors were in focus, even though I relied on the focus confirmation instead of usual manual focus technique.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    I think this is the lens you were looking at: http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Super-Auto-Takumar-55mm-F2.html. Sample pictures at that site.

For 15 bucks I'd be more concerned about sticky aperture blades and mold/fungus than IQ.
    Good Afternoon Mark,
    It was definitely the 1:1.2 lens, not the 1:2 lens. That's why I was surprised at the $15 price tag.
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...

Good Evening Mark,
    I stand corrected. You were right, it was the 1:2 lens, and not the 1:1.2 version like I thought. That lens ended up selling for $10. Just about all the other lenses were gone as well.
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
    edited May 4, 2012
    I've tried this. It's a fun experiment at first, but it's just not practical unless you are determined to get good at manually focusing. And for that you'll need the high precision focus screen, or shoot in live view at 10x magnification.
    Good Afternoon Jack,
    If I get that lens, and the others like it, I was going to buy the M42-EOS adapter with the focus confirmation chip. I think that would be easier then using the live view at 10x.
    Jim...
    edited May 4, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The one to look for is the SMC Takumar 50mm, f1.4 (designated 1:1.4/50). It's gorgeous build and modern coatings, along with a nearly perfect optical formula, yield extremely good sharpness and high contrast, along with excellent color. Already very sharp wide open, it progresses to extremely sharp at f5.6.

For use on a Canon camera body you need an M42 (universal screw) to EOS adapter with a focus confirmation chip. The chip allows the camera body to think that you have mounted an EOS autofocus lens, set to manual mode. The body will still beep and light when you achieve prime focus. The process is similar to old "preset" aperture lenses, and you get used to setting the aperture open for critical focus and then stepping down by feeling and counting the aperture clicks.

KEH is the best place to look for these lenses, but it's common to find them with some internal "yellowing", which clears with exposing the lens to strong UV light through the optics.

In the following images, I used the Pentax 50mm exclusively at f5.6 and using the focus confirmation chip on the adapter. Canon XT/350D body.

Just a few snaps. Overcast with no distinct shadows. ISO 800 because I was testing for sharpness.

82051204-D.jpg

82051266-D.jpg

82051298-D.jpg

82051322-D.jpg

82051370-D.jpg

And a couple of full-resolution crops:

82271260-D.jpg

82271271-D.jpg

Notes:

A very low contrast day, so moderate USM applied. Sharpness at f5.6 is excellent across the frame. All shots outdoors were in focus, even though I relied on the focus confirmation instead of usual manual focus technique.
    Good Afternoon Ziggy,
    I have seen some SMC Takumar lenses in that particular antique shop. I have to go back and see what they actually were now. All the prices seemed really low on those lenses. Thanks for the pics thumb.gif
    Jim...
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    Good Afternoon Ziggy,
    I have seen some SMC Takumar lenses in that particular antique shop. I have to go back and see what they actually were now. All the prices seemed really low on those lenses. Thanks for the pics thumb.gif
    Jim...

I'd also highly recommend using this site: http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/

It's a great database for looking up various Pentax lenses.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
    edited May 4, 2012
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    Good Afternoon Ziggy,
    Jim...

Some other M42 mount lenses I can recommend:
    Pentax SMC Takumar 28mm, f3.5

Pentax Super-Takumar 35mm, f2

Pentax SMC Takumar 35mm, f3.5

Pentax SMC Takumar 85mm, f1.8

Pentax SMC Takumar 135mm, f3.5

Pentax SMC Takumar 200mm, f4

Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 500mm, f4.5

Tamron 500mm, f8 SP (55BB) (catadioptric, aka "cat" mirror lens), Adaptall to M42

Vivitar 500mm, f6.3 refractor
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 5, 2012
    M42 Super-Takumar 55mm 1:2 question
    Morning Folks,
    Thanks for the references. Greatly appreciated thumb.gif
    Jim...