Death Valley National Park

xelanilxelanil Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
edited April 26, 2012 in Landscapes
I went camping in Death Valley over spring break for 4 days for a National Park film about young college folks like me enjoying nature. These pictures are posted in no particular order in terms of date.

1. This was at Dante's Point, quite an amazing place.
IMG4179-L.jpg

2. Hotdog plants at Darwin Falls, I didn't really like scrambling around this particular area because it didn't feel really safe.
IMG4973-L.jpg

3. A closer view of Dante's Point
IMG40081-L.jpg

4. Zabriskie Point at sunset
IMG4494-L.jpg

5. Zabriskie Point at sunset from another place
IMG4337-L.jpg

6. The Devil's Golf Course, the terrain pretty much looks like this throughout and is completely salt.
IMG9764-L.jpg

7. A close up of the salt crystals at the Devil's Golf Course
IMG9710-L.jpg

8. The other side of Dante's Point, there's a lot more vegetation on this side due to the geology.
IMG4211-L.jpg

9. A pile of dirt, these things can be seen all around the valley in the mountains. They are formed over short periods of time from rare storms that cause all of the dirt to come pouring down because they have no vegetation to hold them down.
IMG3883-L.jpg

10. A view along the side of Ubehebe Crater. It's much bigger and far more fantastic in person, no picture can do this place justice.
IMG3716-L.jpg

11. Badwater Basin Salt Flats in the morning
IMG2894-L.jpg

12. Sand Dunes at sunset
IMG2671-L.jpg

13. I'm not sure what make these tracks in the sand but I'm guessing perhaps a snake.
IMG2286-L.jpg

14. Rocks close up, not entirely sure where I took this though. It's either on the hills around my campsite or at Dante's Point.
IMG1931-L.jpg

15. This was on a hill around my campsite.
IMG1649-L.jpg

16. Artist's Pallete at sunset.
IMG0380-L.jpg

17. Zabriskie Point Panorama
IMG4389stitch-X2.jpg

18. Badwater Basin Panorama
UntitledPanorama1-X2.jpg

19. Sand Dune Panorama
IMG2651stitch-X2.jpg

20. Ubehebe Crater Panorama
IMG3689stitch-X2.jpg

21. Badwater Basin Panorama
IMG2778stitch-X2.jpg

Comments

• SandSand Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2012
    In photo 13, the tracks look like the trail of a sidewinder. interesting that there would be three of these trails so close together.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 3, 2012
    Great collections of shots. Looks like you had a great trip. thumb.gif
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2012
    Really cool series. Thanks for sharing.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2012
    Such an awesome place to visit. You've got some nice shots in there. I love the snake tracks, but wish it popped a bit more. It's a little dark. I also love the sand dune pano. Again, I'd like to see more detail and pop in the shadows. And I think the Zabriskie point pano could be something really special with some more post processing love. Good work!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2012
    Nice shots. Thorough trip. A better term for the "pile of dirt" may be alluvial fan. Several together form a bajada (bah-hah-da).

http://digital-desert.com/mojave-preserve/geology/10.html
    Anybody can do it.
  • xelanilxelanil Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Such an awesome place to visit. You've got some nice shots in there. I love the snake tracks, but wish it popped a bit more. It's a little dark. I also love the sand dune pano. Again, I'd like to see more detail and pop in the shadows. And I think the Zabriskie point pano could be something really special with some more post processing love. Good work!

Well this is where being colorblind gives me a bit more trouble than most folks, what looks nice to me doesn't always look the same to the general majority. So given that, are there any particular colors that you think could use more boosting?

Yes alluvial fan is the correct term that I should have remembered but couldn't, thank you for reminding me.
    edited April 24, 2012
    Well, I was using "color" as a very broad term. I mean more that I believe the photos could be improved with some regional curves adjustments. Isolate areas in the shot that would benefit from a particular curve and then paint it in using a layer mask. Is this a process you're familiar with? Some are, some aren't.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited April 25, 2012
    I ran it through redynamix.

IMG4384stitch-X2.jpg
    edited April 25, 2012
    xelanil wrote: »
    I ran it through redynamix.

A lot of people would LOVE that.

I find it a bit over the top, not natural enough for my taste. But it is a taste thing, for sure. What do YOU think?
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited April 26, 2012
    From my perspective, the clouds are a bit overblown and unrealistic, however the landscape is fairly accurate to what it actually looked like when I was there according to my memory.