Shooting a non-profit event: Release form?

RudeMoodRudeMood Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited April 8, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I have a release form that I use for shooting individuals releasing me from any later liability with using their image in any way.

now - This month I will be shooting a non-profit event (March of Dimes) in Milwaukee, and wondered how I would go about securing myself in this respect. How do I hold the March of Dimes to an agreement in this instance.

I will have the photos available after the event for people who attended to purchase prints they find of themselves at the event. Or do they by default release all rights to me being the selected photographer of the event, even though if they chose to purchase a print off of my smugmug site?

Thanks!

Nick

Comments

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 2, 2009
    Hi Nick

welcome to dGrin wave.gif

firstly: please take a moment to explore the information already posted regarding this subject in the sticky thread at the top of the forum titled "Photographer's Resources"

A release form has nothing to do with liability, it allows you to sell a person's image for commercial purposes

You do not need a release in order to sell prints.

You'll definitely want releases if MOD is planning on using any of your images for their promotional or marketing purposes.
  • RudeMoodRudeMood Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Angelo wrote:
    Hi Nick

welcome to dGrin wave.gif

firstly: please take a moment to explore the information already posted regarding this subject in the sticky thread at the top of the forum titled "Photographer's Resources"

A release form has nothing to do with liability, it allows you to sell a person's image for commercial purposes

You do not need a release in order to sell prints.

You'll definitely want releases if MOD is planning on using any of your images for their promotional or marketing purposes.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll have to be sure to check that next time. Apologies.

Thanks for the input. That actually makes me feel better about the situation since we already have those details worked out. :Diloveyou.gif
    edited April 2, 2009
    RudeMood wrote:
    Thanks for the input. That actually makes me feel better about the situation since we already have those details worked out. :Diloveyou.gif

wow, that was quick

good luck thumb.gif
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    Check with the MOD to see if they already have a photo release. (Most large non-profits do).
    If they do not, you should get plenty printed up and have the individuals sign them PRIOR to any shooting.

Now, for the most part at these events you will NOT need a model release as they are purchasing their own photos. There is no release needed for the use of these photos on your website, portfolio, or even limited art sales.

Depending on the event, the MOD may need a release from you/clients in order to use the photos. Under certain exceptions, they will not need one. You need to check the local laws in your area.
    Some large non-profits have releases printed directly on the entry tickets.
    Steve

Website
    edited April 2, 2009
    Check with the MOD to see if they already have a photo release. (Most large non-profits do).
    If they do not, you should get plenty printed up and have the individuals sign them PRIOR to any shooting.

Now, for the most part at these events you will NOT need a model release as they are purchasing their own photos. There is no release needed for the use of these photos on your website, portfolio, or even limited art sales.

Depending on the event, the MOD may need a release from you/clients in order to use the photos. Under certain exceptions, they will not need one. You need to check the local laws in your area.
    Some large non-profits have releases printed directly on the entry tickets.

Thanks for that reply. The director of the Milw. Chapter i'm working with is actually putting together the agreement that we spoke about. One thing that goes outside of that agreement is giving digital images to Sponsors to publish in their company newsletters.

I requested the sponsors credit me for the photos if they publish it in their newsletters. Is that acceptable?
    edited April 2, 2009
    RudeMood wrote:
    Thanks for that reply. The director of the Milw. Chapter i'm working with is actually putting together the agreement that we spoke about. One thing that goes outside of that agreement is giving digital images to Sponsors to publish in their company newsletters.

I requested the sponsors credit me for the photos if they publish it in their newsletters. Is that acceptable?

It's acceptable if you say so. Technically you're the one who has to give the permission to use the images and ask for payment for that privilege if you choose.
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2009
    I'm shooting a convention in October -- for a non-profit organization. Upfront, photography is only to be by permission, as there are a lot of industry folks there (guest of honor authors, publishers, etc etc) in addition to fans and scholarly types.

However, I'll be working in some degree as their official photographer: primary goal to provide media prints for the non-profit, as they really have NOTHING and to make this happen a second year, they need some boosts. Secondary, print sales (esp. if folks w/ authors they love, etc, Tamora Pierce is pretty big in some circles) with 50% going back to the non-profit.

However, there's definitely releases to work out as well as opt-out agreements. It gets a bit hairy and we're still tossing ideas around. A model release is really just permission to take photos and publish. Depending whom you talk to, putting a photo on your website might be counting as publishing. So ... yeah.

PM me if you want to talk more and bounce ideas around. There's a ton more I can write but I see I lot of similarities in what you are trying to do and what I'm up to as well. Let me know! love to chat business stuff :D
    //Leah
    edited April 8, 2009
    Thank's for the response! I will PM you later this evening. I am curious about what you are putting together and how it all works.
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2009
    I have shot many similar events, as I was working for the sponsor(s), it was the sponsor's responsibility to make sure that the images the sponsor desired to use for promotional/marketing purposes were free and clear for their use.

After the event I just gave the sponsor the images and essentially walked away.

If you use the images to promote/market your photo biz ... now you must get releases for that purpose. A release specific to MOD is not sufficient to cover images for you own marketing purposes.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed