UPSIZING Photos

David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
edited May 8, 2012 in Finishing School
I have a Dance Company that I have done work for in the past that uses my photos for Posters and such, they have a request to upsize to of my JPEGS for larger posters to 3-4mb even though they are 300dpi. The pictures are all of about 650k file size. Is there an effective way to do this in PhotoShop5 or LR4 so that I don't have to spend $99 for Genuine Fractals and not make the images look bad, any other less expensive ideas? I don't mind buying software but I have donate my time to this company to help the out.

Comments

• ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    In your export options in LR4 there is a section you can upres the photos. I have not used it, but have read in a couple places that people have had decent results with it.
  • David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    ZBlack wrote: »
    In your export options in LR4 there is a section you can upres the photos. I have not used it, but have read in a couple places that people have had decent results with it.

Thanks I found some info on it and will give it a shot...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
    edited April 27, 2012
    From my experience you are much better to upres in ACR from the original RAW file, when available.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=158823
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    I have a Dance Company that I have done work for in the past that uses my photos for Posters and such, they have a request to upsize to of my JPEGS for larger posters to 3-4mb even though they are 300dpi.

Three points ...

1. 3-4MB is a measure of file size, not image size/resolution. Assuming
    you're saving at a reasonably high quality level, the numbers that count
    are pixels per (printed) inch -- ppi.

2. Regarding resolution, you should check with the print shop that will
    print the posters. Ask them what resolution they recommend for
    whatever size the posters will be.

3. Whatever the answer is, ask them if it would be better for them to
    resize (upsample) the images to meet their needs. In many cases
    you're better off letting them do it on their equipment.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    I do not have LR 4 and am only upto PSCS4 and still OnOne Softwares Perfect Resize outs all others for me... it was in the Past called Genuine Fractals and I have found nothing to beat it when it comes to uprezing...
    Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited April 27, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I do not have LR 4 and am only upto PSCS4 and still OnOne Softwares Perfect Resize outs all others for me... it was in the Past called Genuine Fractals and I have found nothing to beat it when it comes to uprezing...
    Good Luck.

Don't have the RAW files, I shot JPEG back then. I am trying the LR4 stuff tonight and may have to get the Perfect Resize from what I have heard.. Thanks for all the help.. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2012
    Genuine Fractals / Perfect Resize works Perfectly on JPGS....that is one of the last things in my workflow, just before sharpening with unsharp mask...
    Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited April 27, 2012
    Okay here is the deal, I used the LR4 export at set it to 12mp 300dpi and it worked great, I know it is not the prescribed way to show how it worked out but check out the gallery and give me your honest opinion.

The pictures with 2012 as the year are the upsized ones.

http://www.phabulousphotos.com/Family/LEHRER-DANCE-2012/22672083_n2hP6h

I think it came out really nice..

Thanks
    edited April 27, 2012
    set it to 12mp 300dpi

Hmmm ...
    edited April 27, 2012
    Peano wrote: »
    Hmmm ...

Okay I will bite.. These file sizes where small, doesn't mean quality does but my post processing has changed significantly in 3 years. Files where already 240 dpi but didn't work for their poster process. I understand the mb, I actually think they wanted a 3 or 4 mp file just to make sure.

Thanks
    edited April 28, 2012
    I actually think they wanted a 3 or 4 mp file just to make sure.

What are the dimensions of the posters, and what resolution does the print lab want for those dimensions?
    edited April 28, 2012
    Peano wrote: »
    What are the dimensions of the posters, and what resolution does the print lab want for those dimensions?

I am flying blind on the sizes and the art department is in Germany, the Dance Company director gave me some of what he thought what they said and I did my best. Wish I could know.

Thanks
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2012
    They have phones in Germany. Plus there are some pretty common standards. After reading your post i don't have any clear idea what kind of pixel count you have or what size the client wants to print, or who is doing the printing.

It appears you are talking to an intermediary who don't really know the answers ether.

You need date in order to send the right size, color space, file format etc.

Sam
    edited April 29, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    They have phones in Germany. Plus there are some pretty common standards. After reading your post i don't have any clear idea what kind of pixel count you have or what size the client wants to print, or who is doing the printing.

It appears you are talking to an intermediary who don't really know the answers ether.

You need date in order to send the right size, color space, file format etc.

Sam

Honestly I don't need to call Germany to find out exactly, just looking for some simple tips. I understand the complexity of printing posters mp and sizes, just looking for a way to use my existing software and this thread did the trick. When I took these pictures both the Dance Company and I where both starting up so I there is not alot of monetary gain. With that said I have an entire gallery of art pieces that I have yet to equal with any dance I have shot in the past. Thanks for everyones help I appear to have complied with the requirements..

David
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited May 5, 2012
    What camera were these files originally shot on, and what size poster do your people desire?

A 20 inch by 30 inch image at 300 pixels per inch, is 20x300= 6,000 pixels on the short side, and 30x300= 9,000 pixels on the long dimension.

6,000 x 9,000 is 54 Mega pixels. That is a huge enlargement from a 650 kbyte jpg. You CAN make any jpg 'Bigger" , even a tiny one, but you may not like the quality when seen large, unless your original file had sufficient data for the final print size desired. Uprezzing does not add any data, just makes more of the data that is there in the first place.

In Photoshop go to Image Size, and plug in the desired file size in inches, and in pixels per inch, and see how your file looks.

A short blurb about file size, image size, and resolution - http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/Other/Resolution-Resizing-and-Dots/2246604_8fVpw8
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    I have printed many 20" X 30" posters in the past 2-3 years through FujiFilm, and never had any problems using either the full size image, or a 4" X 6" crop. I recommend just exporting your RAW to the original size and 300 dpi. You shouldn't have any problems if your printing at 20" X 30".

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams