How do I see Thumbs Up / Thumbs Down Votes?

scottishscottish Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited August 27, 2012 in SmugMug Support
I did a forum search and couldn't seem to find an answer. I am guessing this is an obvious answer and I am just not seeing it on my page, but I want to know how I can see what photos have received either a thumbs up or a thumbs down.

Thanks!

Scott

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    yoursite.smugmug.com/popular thumb.gif
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited May 2, 2011
    You can see the photos that have received a thumbs up by looking at your "popular" photos. To view them, add /popular to your URL.

For example, if your smugsite is http://yourname.smugmug.com, then you can see the popular photos at http://yourname.smugmug.com/popular. You can only see the photos, not the number of votes each received.

--- Denise
  • mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    There needs to be a corresponding /unpopular URL.
  • scottishscottish Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 2, 2011
    Thanks for the info everyone. I had a client go through and click on the thumbs down for any photo they wanted removed from a gallery I did for them. Is there a way to see this as well as the thumbs up?

Thanks!
    edited May 2, 2011
    No, I'm sorry there is not. You'll want to use our Events feature so clients can tell you the photos they want http://www.smugmug.com/help/event-marketing
  • scottishscottish Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 2, 2011
    so what does the thumbs down feature do? What purpose does it serve?
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2011
    scottish wrote: »
    so what does the thumbs down feature do? What purpose does it serve?
    If some people had up thumbed it, then presumably a down thumb counteracts that. So, if a photo has 10 up thumbs and 12 down thumbs, it's a net negative and presumably won't show in the popular list.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • RSO 34RSO 34 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 10, 2011
    Is there a minimum number of thumbs up votes needed to show in our popular pics section? I had someone pick the ones they wanted and she used only the thumbs up way of identifying the photos. This was done last night and I dont see any pics from that gallery listed so I am curious as to whether it takes some time to appear or rather a minimum number of thumbs up.
    edited May 10, 2011
    RSO 34 wrote: »
    Is there a minimum number of thumbs up votes needed to show in our popular pics section? I had someone pick the ones they wanted and she used only the thumbs up way of identifying the photos. This was done last night and I dont see any pics from that gallery listed so I am curious as to whether it takes some time to appear or rather a minimum number of thumbs up.

Your site link? Thanks!
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    It may also depend on your site and gallery settings so please include a link to the specific gallery as well.
    For example, if the gallery is unlisted, has a password set or has 'hello smuggers' set to no, the thumbs wouldn't have any effect.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 10, 2011
    Here is the site link:

http://photography.robertondrovic.com

It is an unlisted gallery right now so I don't know if that makes a difference.

EDIT: with Sebastian's help I learned what I could do so I deleted the direct link to this private gallery.
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2011
    That's the problem - the photorank feature doesn't work on unlisted galleries as I mentioned. In general the thumbs and photorank feature isn't meant to allow visitors to select their favorites. That's what the event marketing feature on our Pro account is for:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/event-marketing
    It allows you to create an event with galleries and you can set clients as participants for an event or have them register as guests. Once registered, they could go into the galleries and select their favorites. Those favorites would not only be available to your client, but you as the owner as well.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 10, 2011
    That's the problem - the photorank feature doesn't work on unlisted galleries as I mentioned. In general the thumbs and photorank feature isn't meant to allow visitors to select their favorites. That's what the event marketing feature on our Pro account is for:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/event-marketing
    It allows you to create an event with galleries and you can set clients as participants for an event or have them register as guests. Once registered, they could go into the galleries and select their favorites. Those favorites would not only be available to your client, but you as the owner as well.

Sebastian

Thank you very much Sebastian.

p.s. just did it and it works - thank you again
  • JKLionheartJKLionheart Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    I'd like to revisit this and even suggest an option to completely remove displaying the thumbs up/down (possibly only for pro accounts) simply because too many clients mistaken this for 'liking' the photo in this age of Facebook. Having to explain that the thumbs up does not do what most people think it does is very embarrassing as a professional working with clients, and I have to say, having been a Smugmug member for over 4-5 years (lost track), this is one thing I haven't seen evolve properly at all. I'm fairly sure it existed before the Facebook 'like' button but now it simply makes negative sense.

I'll concede that I've only begun experimenting with events since I was told that the Smugmug LR Plugin can sync favorites back to Lightroom but I haven't gotten that to work consistently. I have contacted support, but it didn't solve my issue and I haven't had time to revisit it, again not Smugmug's fault :)
    Canon 5D Mark II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | EF 28-135mm | EF 50mm f/1.8 | EF 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 | EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | Feisol CF 3301N Tripod + Kirk BH-3 Ballhead | Speedlite 430EX

Canon S95 | Panasonic FZ-20 w/ 36-432mm (35mm equiv.) | Canon SD500 | and of course my old Canon S230 =D

http://photos.jklionheart.com
    http://jklionheart.smugmug.com
    edited August 27, 2012
    I'd like to revisit this and even suggest an option to completely remove displaying the thumbs up/down (possibly only for pro accounts) simply because too many clients mistaken this for 'liking' the photo in this age of Facebook. Having to explain that the thumbs up does not do what most people think it does is very embarrassing as a professional working with clients, and I have to say, having been a Smugmug member for over 4-5 years (lost track), this is one thing I haven't seen evolve properly at all. I'm fairly sure it existed before the Facebook 'like' button but now it simply makes negative sense.

I'll concede that I've only begun experimenting with events since I was told that the Smugmug LR Plugin can sync favorites back to Lightroom but I haven't gotten that to work consistently. I have contacted support, but it didn't solve my issue and I haven't had time to revisit it, again not Smugmug's fault :)
    You can add this CSS and it will remove the photoRank icons from all galleries:

#photoRank {display: none;}
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • JKLionheartJKLionheart Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    Hi jfriend, thanks, this helps a lot! Is there a help page listing all the CSS tags? I wish I could just type 'man Smugmug' and get a list :)
    Canon 5D Mark II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | EF 28-135mm | EF 50mm f/1.8 | EF 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 | EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | Feisol CF 3301N Tripod + Kirk BH-3 Ballhead | Speedlite 430EX

Canon S95 | Panasonic FZ-20 w/ 36-432mm (35mm equiv.) | Canon SD500 | and of course my old Canon S230 =D

http://photos.jklionheart.com
    http://jklionheart.smugmug.com
    edited August 27, 2012
    Hi jfriend, thanks, this helps a lot! Is there a help page listing all the CSS tags? I wish I could just type 'man Smugmug' and get a list :)
    No documentation - you use a browser DOM inspector (built into almost every browser) and examine the DOM structure, classes, IDs, existing CSS, existing javascript on any page you want. It's better than documentation. That's how I came up with this in response to your previous post.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • DesptachesGalleryDesptachesGallery Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2012
    jfriend wrote: »
    If some people had up thumbed it, then presumably a down thumb counteracts that. So, if a photo has 10 up thumbs and 12 down thumbs, it's a net negative and presumably won't show in the popular list.

It would be good if we could get some info on this.

The inability to search thumbs up AND/OR Thumbs down means the function serves only to populate the Popular list, which seems like mangled functionality.

I'd appreciate an answer to the original question from "scottish" also.

Cheers/Pete
    edited August 27, 2012
    It would be good if we could get some info on this.

The inability to search thumbs up AND/OR Thumbs down means the function serves only to populate the Popular list, which seems like mangled functionality.

I'd appreciate an answer to the original question from "scottish" also.

Cheers/Pete
    Smugmug seems to have an internal policy that they will not discuss how the thumbs are used in any way except that more up thumbs make an image more likely to show up in some places. I hope you get an answer to your question, but previous questions like this have been either met with no answer or met with an answer that says they don't want to share how they are used.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited August 27, 2012
    Smugmug seems to have an internal policy that they will not discuss how the thumbs are used in any way except that more up thumbs make an image more likely to show up in some places. I hope you get an answer to your question, but previous questions like this have been either met with no answer or met with an answer that says they don't want to share how they are used.
    Thanks John - yes as you may be aware we've asked similar questions in the past on a range of issues - related keywords and how they get built, viewing thumbs ups/downs etc., keyword mapping.

This is obviously still an issue - maybe it's a lagover before people got their own domians?

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=191449

It's somewhat disconcerting that as Pro account subscribers, we can't get information that is pertinent to site design, usability, SEO, and other such matters that affect those of us who consider such to be important.

Equally disturbing is that we, the paying (and some non-paying) Customers have to rely on the fine volunteers such as yourself to help so many people out (including ourselves SOOO many times).

Thanks for your post. And thanks again for all your assistance during our build.

Pete
    edited August 27, 2012
    No documentation - you use a browser DOM inspector (built into almost every browser) and examine the DOM structure, classes, IDs, existing CSS, existing javascript on any page you want. It's better than documentation. That's how I came up with this in response to your previous post.

John - as a sideline, you mention how you use the DOM inspector....do you know of any online resources that all of us could use to try and find solutions to our own problems? We use FF14, Chris Pepperdiskc's WEBDEV plugin, and the DOM.

Any resources you know of for us to self educate I'd be happy to contribute to a document that could be put here as a sticky.

Even some few examples of what to look for - over the period of our very long development, the same questions seem to come up - font sizes in different areas, font changes, CSS issues. What do you think?

Cheers/Pete
    edited August 27, 2012
    John - as a sideline, you mention how you use the DOM inspector....do you know of any online resources that all of us could use to try and find solutions to our own problems? We use FF14, Chris Pepperdiskc's WEBDEV plugin, and the DOM.

Any resources you know of for us to self educate I'd be happy to contribute to a document that could be put here as a sticky.

Even some few examples of what to look for - over the period of our very long development, the same questions seem to come up - font sizes in different areas, font changes, CSS issues. What do you think?

Cheers/Pete
    I'm not sure what to tell you. Once you can see the DOM structure and classes and IDs in a DOM inspector (I use the one built into Chrome), then you just need to see how the current CSS setting (for whatever you're trying to modify) is being set by Smugmug's default CSS and devise some new CSS to override that and set it the way you want in your own CSS customization. You have to know how to read the DOM inspector to both see the existing structure and the identifiers used there, how to see the existing CSS rules that are controlling and then you need to know enough about CSS rules to devise a new rule to override the current setting.

There is a ton written about CSS selectors and rules on the web and many books on the topic too - I don't have any particular sources in mind. I'm not sure what the best resource is for educating yourself on the DOM tools you are using. Usually they are pretty straightforward to see existing rules and once you know how CSS selectors and precedence work, you can devise your own new rule to put in your customization.

To target only certain types of Smugmug pages, you have to learn how the different pages are marked with classes and IDs (e.g. category pages vs. gallery pages vs. homepage, etc...). I just learned that through inspection of the different page types. The identifiers Smugmug uses are named pretty descriptively.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited August 27, 2012
    Good and helpful input as always, John. I am sure many of us here on dGrin appreciate your help.

Personally, a heartfelt thanks to the advice you continue to give us here at despatches.