Leaving Godaddy

jecottrelljecottrell Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
edited May 29, 2012 in SmugMug Support
How difficult would it be to move to a different domain registration and hosting company?

I originally tried to use a company(iPower) I had for several other domains when I upgraded to SmugmugPro and I had problems with Smugmug playing with iPower. I gave up and just went with Godaddy.

I just received a renewal notice from Godaddy and it appears that a new feature would have been added without my permission if it hadn't failed due to an expired credit. I'm also tired of the extremely painful Godaddy Account UI and endless attempts to pile on added "features" with any transaction. (I'm surprised that Dgrin would select the likes of Godaddy to partner with.)

Thanks,

John

Comments

• HeroOfCantonHeroOfCanton Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    Hello John,

You can move your domain to whomever you want except 1and1.com as we don't support them. You will need to contact the registrar of your choice and work with them on moving it, while the process is similar each registrar may have their own specific requirements.

Regarding a hosting company, SmugMug provides the hosting for your site so you don't need to obtain another company for that unless you are going to close your account here.

With best regards,
    Ryan W.
    Quality Engineer - My SmugMug Site

Getting started on DGrin? Go here first!
    Contact a Support Hero: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new
  • carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    Hello John,

You can move your domain to whomever you want except 1and1.com as we don't support them.

Just happened to be browsing the forum and saw this comment. I'm a little concerned as my domain has been with 1and1 since I came to SmugMug - what's happening?

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    caroline wrote: »
    Just happened to be browsing the forum and saw this comment. I'm a little concerned as my domain has been with 1and1 since I came to SmugMug - what's happening?

Caroline

If your domain is setup and working there, and you're happy with your setup, then you have nothing to worry about. Time and time again new users trying to get setup with them, or make a change that seems unrelated to their SM site have been having problems, and we just can't seem to get them to work with us to try to help our mutual customers.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 29, 2012
    After dealing with this issue for years I made contact with 1and1 support recently asking them to provide us with detailed instructions that we could provide users. The person I spoke with was going to hand this issue off to their help writing team. I have gotten nothing in response since.

The trouble is that they do not allow you to use CNAME, A Records, and use their hosted email service at the same time. We require the CNAME and if you want example.com without the www you must use an @ A record. Doing that kills the email. They are the only service that has this weird setup.

I will make one more contact with them. I had hoped that we could finally put this issue to rest.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com