Into Africa

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited October 27, 2011
    I did not even see any termites in the termite mounds, Stephanie. And certainly none in my pantsmwink.gifD
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2011
    Great stuff--I am really enjoying my vicarious African journey!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2011
    It's always been a dream of mine to go shoot in Africa. How many lenses each did you guys bring and which ones?
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2011
    It's always been a dream of mine to go shoot in Africa. How many lenses each did you guys bring and which ones?

We all brought mutiple lenses with us. I used the Nikon 200-400 f/4 for most of my wildlife captures. The 70-200mm 2.8 VRII got a lot if use also. I used the 14-24 2.8 and the 28-70 2.8 for my landscape captures. The 50mm 1.4 got some use for people captures. The 1.4 TC and the 2.0 TC got some use too.

My D3s and D3 were my primary bodies. The D300 got some use on the last day but was along primarily as a back-up body. I also got quite a few captures with the Fuji X-100.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2011

I used primarily three lenses, the 500 f/4L, the 70-300L and a 24-105L. Zooms are practical as one minute you're photographing a small animal rather far away, and the next minute there's a leopard not 10 feet from your vehicle :D I brought a few other lenses, too - wide angle prime for landscape shots, and a fisheye as well.
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2011
    I am loving this adventure report, the photos are beautiful (except for the spider...that just scares me). Can't wait to see more.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
    edited October 28, 2011
    So, the 2nd part of our trip was 5 days and nights in The Maasai Mara at Rekero Camp. Can't really call it "camping" with ginormous tents bigger than most hotel suites, comfy beds, flush loos, fresh linens, amazing food, great guides, beautiful common areas and a gorgeous location on the Talek River.

IMG3273-L.jpg

IMG3276-L.jpg

As a group we managed to hit 10 sunrises and sunsets - not too shabby! Each morning was glorious, here's a typical sunrise in The Mara
    IMG3305-2-L.jpg

Hippos were everywhere in the Mara and Talek rivers
    IMG3445-L.jpg

IMG3461-L.jpg

I mentioned that Lewa was a birder's paradise - well, they're all over The Mara, too :D
    IMG3623-L.jpg

You really need to be prepared when on Safari here - one moment you're shooting at 500mm and the next there's an ele not a meter away from you!
    IMG7148-L.jpg

This photo doesn't capture the amazingness of the Wildebeest - there are some 2,000,000 of them that migrate, everywhere you turn you see scenes like this
    IMG3989-L.jpg

IMG4100-L.jpg

It did rain a bit here and there, never bothering us though - and then the rainbow!
    IMG7158-L.jpg

Sarah and Chris getting up close and personal with a leopard
    IMG4849-L.jpg

Fred enjoying the sunset - sometimes you just don't need a camera!
    IMG5382-L.jpg

Watching the predation and the movements of the animals is fascinating. Here is a group on hyenas, this is the start of a gang war, sharks v jets style, where this group wanted the territory held by the group off camera to the right. Attack, parry, thrust, gnashing of teeth, etc - the home team fought the aggressors off 3 times, and held their ground - we watched this for well over an hour, just amazing.

IMG5505-L.jpg

IMG5564-L.jpg

...more to come!
  • stuffjunkiestuffjunkie Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2011
    More please!
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2011
    Wow!
    tom wise
    edited November 2, 2011
    Moar? Sure! As we continued our 5 days and nights in The Maasai Mara, we saw animals all the time on our early morning and then late afternoon game-drives.

Lion posing, just after waking
    MJM0020-L.jpg

Getting ready for the hunt, gotta stretch those important muscles!
    IMG6534-L.jpg

There were many opportunities to see family interaction
    IMG6797-L.jpg

IMG6873-L.jpg

IMG6895-L.jpg

IMG6923-L.jpg

We loved the baboons - and next trip we'll spend even more time with them - including walking amongst them!

IMG6989-L.jpg

IMG7007-L.jpg

After this early morning game drive, it was lovely breakfast in the field, followed by the one-legged Maasai races lol3.gif
    IMG6095-L.jpg

Then it was back to camp for downtime, lunch, and an afternoon critique session. After that, back out on another game drive....

I love capturing the animals' movements with slow shutter. Zebras and a beestie:
    IMG6633-L.jpg

Giraffe abound, here are a mother, father and young one. The male is checking the female to see if she's ready for mating - she rebuffed him. Giraffes have a very long gestation period, and then - the young are delivered while the female is standing up :yikes imagine being dropped from that distance! They do this because to lie down and give birth would put the mother in a very vulnerable position, to predators.
    IMG5886-L.jpg

Another of our many leopard encounters, these are such beautiful creatures
    IMG5996-L.jpg

Day is done.
    IMG7351-2-L.jpg

More coming, I hope to make my next post about predation.
    edited November 2, 2011
    This last set is truly amazing, Andy--I can't pick a favorite because they are all so good. Might you have a couple more shots to share? rolleyes1.gif

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • mjordanphotomjordanphoto Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Awesome... simply amazing. This is my dream trip - all the sites you all saw... the animals... wow... Blown away - keep sharing if you've got them!

:jawdrop
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Some great photos in this thread. I was with a few colleagues working in Namibia a few years ago and we decided to charter a plane out to one of the national parks in the north. The plane ride was spectacular but we were all very naive, thinking we'd get good wildlife photographs with Ixus and Sony digicams....... :).
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2011
    Andy,

I really like day is done. I think it screams for a pano crop.

Sam
    edited November 2, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    This last set is truly amazing, Andy--I can't pick a favorite because they are all so good. Might you have a couple more shots to share? rolleyes1.gif

Lauren

lol3.gif thanks Lauren - yeup, more images coming - next set will be good to view after eating :D
    Awesome... simply amazing. This is my dream trip - all the sites you all saw... the animals... wow... Blown away - keep sharing if you've got them!

:jawdrop
    Thanks so much, more to come :D
    Internaut wrote: »
    Some great photos in this thread. I was with a few colleagues working in Namibia a few years ago and we decided to charter a plane out to one of the national parks in the north. The plane ride was spectacular but we were all very naive, thinking we'd get good wildlife photographs with Ixus and Sony digicams....... :).
    Seeing Africa by small plane is amazing, glad you got to do it!
    Sam wrote: »
    Andy,

I really like day is done. I think it screams for a pano crop.

Sam
    Thanks Sam! I haven't yet critically looked at all my shots, much less the lansdscape-y ones but I love your suggestion!
    edited November 2, 2011
    Predation. We saw plenty of it. If I had to come back as an animal, I'd want to be a lion in The Mara. There's food everywhere you look! I love the audience, there are vultures and other birds always standing by... pretty much NOTHING goes to waste, there are even some micro-creatures that eat up all the bone marrow thumb.gif

IMG4219-L.jpg

IMG7225-L.jpg

IMG4285-L.jpg

IMG4333-L.jpg

Marc will have some more predation shots I'm sure.
    edited November 2, 2011
    I ts always about the food with you.

Great captures clap.gif

Linda's response when she saw the lions feeding off the wildebeest, "I may never eat ribs again".
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    Fast food here has a totally different meaning to what we're used to.:D

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2011
    WOW. Fun stuff! Nice shooting!
    edited November 5, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »

Linda's response when she saw the lions feeding off the wildebeest, "I may never eat ribs again".

lol3.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    Still envious but enjoying every photo.
    edited November 5, 2011
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Still envious but enjoying every photo.

Next trip: Feb 2013 :D
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Next trip: Feb 2013 :D

Let's talk.
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    I have been thoroughly enjoying this trip vicariously through your photos and commentaries. Now, if that lottery win would just come through.....

Fabulous images and an amazing experience, I'm sure.

Ceci
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2011
    I learned a lot in Africa!

I know this journey has moved on to the Maasai Mara,,,,,,,,,,, but,,,,,,,,,, there is one more "butt" that I wanted to highlight from Lewa.

Did you know that an elephant butt looks like the front of an elephant eek7.gif

i-fMQP6hh-XL.jpg

I promise much much more insight in the next post:D
    edited November 7, 2011
    rolleyes1.gif

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2011
    And here is more!

On the way from Lewa to the Mara we flew over some Flamingos...... actually thousands

i-MpnwGLq-XL.jpg
    Next year we are planning on spending a night here.

Once in Camp Rekero we had some business to take care of, so we hired the Maasai. Trickle down economicsdeal.gif
    i-pXHWWPp-M.jpg

We headed out in the rain.
    i-HB2hK9Z-S.jpg

And captured animals in the soft light, I call this "blurry light"
    i-RJGR49b-XL.jpg

This being our first game drive in the Mara, the graphics of the scenery appeared supercharged
    i-VQpb9F9-XL.jpg

I rode on this afternoon game drive with Harry and Lynda. After photographing for a few hours on the large plains we headed down to a sighting we will never forget! A female lion and her cubs. I have video of this scene, which I am editing into a piece for the entire trip, but Harry's shutter was firing the entire timeclap.gif so much for the audio:D
    i-228C22v-L.jpg

i-xCNB2Jb-L.jpg

Then while our shutters were firing totally out of control Lynda says to us, "Oh look up" and for a good reason....
    i-BRGZxxV-XL.jpg

Then it was getting dark but but but..... I had a camera that can shoot in the dark!
    i-KG2Tmsj-L.jpg

So I found this very interesting! I have seen many upon many sunsets over the years and have seen many upon many upon many ways to process sunsetsdeal.gif Of all the methods in photography that I simply dont like is an over-saturated sunset...... So I usually try very hard to only bring out the colors with contrast and then even find that most often I am de-saturating the final image. Believe it or not that is what I had to do with this scene,,,, but look at all those colors! The colors are there in the RAW files so I did not make them up. I guess it's just a Mara Sunseteek7.gif
    i-LbwhnvR-X2.jpg

And yes there is still much much more to come.
    edited November 9, 2011
    And yes there is still much much more to come.

clap.gif :lurk

Somehow I'm not feeling all the guilty about my camera's clicking ruining your audio.
    Harry
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    I'm checking this thread every day for updates, please keep posting photos :)
  • CodyBoxerCodyBoxer Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Moar? Sure! As we continued our 5 days and nights in The Maasai Mara, we saw animals all the time on our early morning and then late afternoon game-drives.

Day is done.
    IMG7351-2-L.jpg

More coming, I hope to make my next post about predation.

This pic reminded me of a track from the Kronos Quartet's "Pieces of Africa" album. The name of the piece is "Sunset".
    Awesome shots here, people! bowdown.gif