*Challenge 22 - Giants

gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited September 28, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2004
    Goodness, what is that?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    gubbs wrote:
    9102718-L.jpg

9102717-L.jpg

9100776-L.jpg

Interesting images. Can you tell your audience a little more about this site?
    Do you think inanimate objects can be alone or together? I have not decided this in my own mind yet. Alone or together seems to me almost to insist on humanity - not sure if everyone will agree with this tho.

It is hard to shoot large memorials without people for scale - consider my thread for challenge 21 - I went back and reshot to capture some people on it even tho I did not submit those images for the final submission. But I wonder if you need something to help establish the scale here - these are obviously very large statues. thumb.gif Maybe a child sitting on the knees of one of the statues? Where are they tho?
    They seem kind of mysterious. Kind of KLAATU BARADA NIKTO or something
    :D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    wxwax wrote:
    Goodness, what is that?

There are 4 these guys sitting just above the beach on the outskirts of Esbjerg (West coast of Denmark)

A Danish couple very kindly translated the plaque for me, but their English wasn’t so good, (but better than my Danish) but if I understood correctly they were sculpted in 1995 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the city.
    pathfinder wrote:
    Interesting images. Can you tell your audience a little more about this site?
    Do you think inanimate objects can be alone or together? I have not decided this in my own mind yet. Alone or together seems to me almost to insist on humanity - not sure if everyone will agree with this tho.

It is hard to shoot large memorials without people for scale - consider my thread for challenge 21 - I went back and reshot to capture some people on it even tho I did not submit those images for the final submission. But I wonder if you need something to help establish the scale here - these are obviously very large statues. thumb.gif Maybe a child sitting on the knees of one of the statues? Where are they tho?
    They seem kind of mysterious. Kind of KLAATU BARADA NIKTO or something
    I've got a lot to sort through from the trip, so i started to cherry pick the shots that caught my eye, but I have got a couple of pictures of them with my wife which I haven't uploaded yet. You can get an idea of the scale from the streetlights behind them in the first shot. There is no way you could sit on their laps though. The ankles weren't far off being waist level. Here are some details I picked up from here:-

"The newest landmark in Esbjerg -- also at the harbor -- has attracted a lot of attention, both from visitors and locals. Called "Esbjerg's new giants," they are four chalky white figures, the late Svend Wiig Hansen's enormous sculpture, "Man Meets the Sea," located at Sædding Strand, on a 150 sq. m (540 ft.) area of the shore opposite the fishing museum . These concrete figures, gazing out across the mysterious sea, are 79m (259 ft.) high. They sit upright like Greek columns. The four figures are completely alike, radiating a kind of classical beauty. The images evoke the massive monuments of ancient Egypt, perhaps something found in the Valley of the Kings."
    for scale, that's my wife between the legs of the one on the right mwink.gif
    9134014-L.jpg
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    gubbs wrote:
    for scale, that's my wife between the legs of the one on the right mwink.gif
    9134014-S.jpg

Wow, that's big. I guess they wanted to impress.

I like the ones with a diagonal composition. Do you have any of those with a person in them?
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    gubbs wrote:
    I've got a lot to sort through from the trip, so i started to cherry pick the shots that caught my eye, but I have got a couple of pictures of them with my wife which I haven't uploaded yet. You can get an idea of the scale from the streetlights behind them in the first shot. There is no way you could sit on their laps though. The ankles weren't far off being waist level. Here are some details I picked up from here:-

"The newest landmark in Esbjerg -- also at the harbor -- has attracted a lot of attention, both from visitors and locals. Called "Esbjerg's new giants," they are four chalky white figures, the late Svend Wiig Hansen's enormous sculpture, "Man Meets the Sea," located at Sædding Strand, on a 150 sq. m (540 ft.) area of the shore opposite the fishing museum . These concrete figures, gazing out across the mysterious sea, are 79m (259 ft.) high. They sit upright like Greek columns. The four figures are completely alike, radiating a kind of classical beauty. The images evoke the massive monuments of ancient Egypt, perhaps something found in the Valley of the Kings."

My comment about Klaatu Barada Nikto was more a reference to beings from outer space than from Ancient Egypt. I thought they were huge from the light posts in the first shot too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    They are quite scary actually arn't they gubbs.. :eek1