Live Music @ Double Door

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited September 25, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Three versions of the same basic pic from two captures.

97312314-L.jpg

97359923-L.jpg

97360055-L-1.jpg

I'm torn, I really like the B&W as it is so anti-neon all the while neon is the center of the pic. That said the color version is almost more ironic in that the only thing without color is the unlit neon sign.

Which do you think is the strongest image for challenge #74 "neon" 11 votes

Dark B&W with vignetting
27%
ChrisJjudahESiggins 3 votes
Lighter B&W with more reflection
18%
firedancing4lifeUnknown 2 votes
Color version
54%
USAIReye-maxquarkSydnie&AdisonAikendlibrach 6 votes

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 25, 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to put them to good use. ne_nau.gif
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    Color version
    For me I choose color it just says neon

Fred
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    I prefer the colour version marginally over the 2nd bw but I'd like it even more if the neon was on
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    truth,
    I like your idea/concept and I know how you love B&W. But for a Challenge whose theme is neon, B&W probably isn't the best treatment ne_nau.gif Howsabout combining Gubb's thought (lit neon signs) and this interesting window? What I am thinking is a selective color edit, with the lights in colorful neon and the rest of the stuff in the window in B&W :D

Or not....lol

Steve

I moved this thread to the Challenge Forum. I believe more folks would like to comment. But wouldn't find this in the F&S Forum :-)
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    truth,
    I like your idea/concept and I know how you love B&W. But for a Challenge whose theme is neon, B&W probably isn't the best treatment ne_nau.gif Howsabout combining Gubb's thought (lit neon signs) and this interesting window? What I am thinking is a selective color edit, with the lights in colorful neon and the rest of the stuff in the window in B&W :D

Or not....lol

Steve

I moved this thread to the Challenge Forum. I believe more folks would like to comment. But wouldn't find this in the F&S Forum :-)

For me the un-lit sign is more powerful photographic conveyance than a lit sign. The fact that there is actually no neon in the pic yet everyone knows that it's a neon sign and what it would look like if the switch was flipped evidence that the concept works. I wanted to approach this from a persective other than the obvious captures of pink pink pinkity plink that are bound to show up. There was no PS manipulation of the colors (in the color version) and to me that's also a challenge within this challenge as I'd wager we will also see a slew of selectively and wildly manipulated color images. I'm sure one will probably win, but that's cool. While I am in love with B&W as a medium, I doubted that it could tell the tale as well as the color version. My financee confirmed that suspicion and that was really what i was asking for with this post. I'm very pleased with the un-lit sign concept, win or lose I really like the result I got chasing after "neon".