Eye-Fi Pro Card, available now.

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2010
    Update:

I found the US distributor and they didn't seem very familiar with the sd to cf card adapter, but said they could order it from Germany. They thought the price would be $25.00 to $30.00 and take about 10 days.

I can see that from your perspective I am a difficult customer. I am not trying to be, I am just ignorant of the technology / process involved.

I like the concept of shooting and sending images directly to a laptop, (desk top / tower?), without any other equipment needed. I just don't comprehend how it works, and how complex it would be to set this up and get it working. Don't need a real technical explanation just an explanation for a layman.

Does the Eye-Fi SD card have a transmitter built in that a laptop can see?
    Does the SD card come with software to set up the laptop to import directly into say LightRoom?

With a bizillian 5D II out there why wouldn't Eye-Fi want to test the 5D II with the DeLock adapter, and if known it works sell the adapters along with the Eye-Fi card? Or is the percieved market too small to address?

I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my questionsclap.gif.

Sam
  • zentricksterzentrickster Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    For Pentax K7+ Eye-fi users
    Firmware 4.2139 seems to make everything happy happy joy joy for now
  • SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    Hey Ziv,

I had a Leica M9 in late 2009 and was pretty happy with the performance I could get with the Eye-Fi card. Sold the M9 for other reasons.

I just bought another M9 and was very surprised to see this on the Eye-Fi website:

Eye-Fi has received reports that the Leica M9 may experience physical damage to the SD card slot after inserting and ejecting an Eye-Fi Card. An Eye-Fi Card should not be inserted into the Leica M9 because the removal of the card may render the SD card slot inoperable thereafter.

Wow. What's 'different'? Is the Leica using some unusual type of SD slot? (Can't be may companies that actually make these). Is the Eye-Fi card somehow different that the 'normal' SD card?

Anyway, kind of bummed to see that.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    I found a DeLOCK dealer in Cali.....he said he has 2 at $28 + shipping...but when I asked if adapter could be returned for purchase price minus shipping i got an emphatic NO ...I am not willing to do business with someone like that:nono:nono:nono:nah:nah:nah:pissed:pissed:pissed......so I guess I will never be able to use EYE-FI:cry:cry:cry
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• gillatgillat Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I found a DeLOCK dealer in Cali.....he said he has 2 at $28 + shipping...but when I asked if adapter could be returned for purchase price minus shipping i got an emphatic NO ...I am not willing to do business with someone like that:nono:nono:nono:nah:nah:nah:pissed:pissed:pissed......so I guess I will never be able to use EYE-FI:cry:cry:cry

Art, which cameras do you have? Is your .sig correct? Based on your .sig, you have older cameras that don't support UDMA. It WILL NOT work. Please read this thread carefully. I keep adding info to it, trying to help you guys out, and t save you from buying stuff, and returning it:

http://forums.eye.fi/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1352&start=15#p12692

Notice how I went to DPReview, to search for UDMA cameras, and found the following:

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV (but this camera is Eye-Fi Connected and has an SD slot, so it makes 0 sense to use an adapter here)
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 50D
    Canon EOS 7D
    Nikon D3s
    Nikon D3X
    Sony Alpha DSLR-A900
    Sony Alpha DSLR-A850

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, people, read the forum post on Eye-Fi's forum. It has valuable information that will save you time and effort.

Thx.
    edited January 14, 2011
    SteveF wrote: »
    Hey Ziv,

I had a Leica M9 in late 2009 and was pretty happy with the performance I could get with the Eye-Fi card. Sold the M9 for other reasons.

I just bought another M9 and was very surprised to see this on the Eye-Fi website:

Eye-Fi has received reports that the Leica M9 may experience physical damage to the SD card slot after inserting and ejecting an Eye-Fi Card. An Eye-Fi Card should not be inserted into the Leica M9 because the removal of the card may render the SD card slot inoperable thereafter.

Wow. What's 'different'? Is the Leica using some unusual type of SD slot? (Can't be may companies that actually make these). Is the Eye-Fi card somehow different that the 'normal' SD card?

Anyway, kind of bummed to see that.

OK, we don't actually have an M9 in the office because it costs more than most consumer cars. BUT, I DID hear from some friends of mine that they saw sensor noise in their RAW images. This means that Leica designed their circuit in a $9000 camera, in an inferior way to some $70 cameras (yes, there are $70 Eye-Fi Connected cameras). It's something on Leica's end, not ours.

The card won't get damaged, and neither will the M9. But we can't recommend the combo, if we know that your'e going to get banding in your images.
    edited January 14, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Does the Eye-Fi SD card have a transmitter built in that a laptop can see?
    Sam

YES
    Does the SD card come with software to set up the laptop to import directly into say LightRoom?
    Sam

YES
    With a bizillian 5D II out there why wouldn't Eye-Fi want to test the 5D II with the DeLock adapter, and if known it works sell the adapters along with the Eye-Fi card? Or is the percieved market too small to address?
    Sam

http://forums.eye.fi/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1352&start=15#p12692

Thx --

Ziv.
    edited January 14, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Thanks for the information Ziv. thumb.gifclap

No prob :-) Glad I could help.
  • HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    Hey All, I'm new around here so... Howdy!
    I bought one of these a short while back and love it.

Like the functionality Sam was looking for: I set it up to automatically upload to my pc, them Lightroom sucked them in live while the Slideshow I had playing kept showing the pictures I had just taken. Only thing I had not figured out was getting the most recent new shots to automatically display in the slideshow. A quick manual restart of the show would re-index the shots and all was well. Easy to do after shooting a small batch. I did this at a few private events and it was a hit.

Dave
    edited February 4, 2011
    HDRoamer wrote: »
    Hey All, I'm new around here so... Howdy!
    I bought one of these a short while back and love it.

Like the functionality Sam was looking for: I set it up to automatically upload to my pc, them Lightroom sucked them in live while the Slideshow I had playing kept showing the pictures I had just taken. Only thing I had not figured out was getting the most recent new shots to automatically display in the slideshow. A quick manual restart of the show would re-index the shots and all was well. Easy to do after shooting a small batch. I did this at a few private events and it was a hit.

Dave

Hey guys,

So Lr2 works great, and will pick up the photos live, as they're coming in. As new photos arrive at the folder, even if you have the slideshow set to random, they WILL get picked up

Lr3 has a bug, and I've let Adobe know about it. It will NOT update in real-time, even as photos are coming in. You need to restart the slideshow, which is really too bad.

Thx --

Ziv.
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    Alright so I finally got a camera body that utilizes the use of an SD-SDHC slot...small-upgrade from my usual CF cards :P

I have a netbook from Acer. I'd like to shoot on location and upload to my laptop...I have no idea how to do that.

Which Eye-Fi card should I look into? Any website/links any of you can point me towards?
  • HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    Mr Peas-
    You need to read the eye-fi site and check your camera compatibility, then pick out a card with the features you want.
    Start here:
    http://support.eye.fi/
    http://www.eye.fi/products/compare-cards
  • JustinThymeJustinThyme Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    OK I read through everything and didnt see one important detail, well very important to me anyhow. :D
    Transfer speed. headscratch.gif
    I shoot a lot of sports with a Canon MKIV and found the Canon wireless file transmitter to be far too slow so Im thinking this will probably yeild even worse speed results?
    For me its all about speed. Current transfer is done with UDMA CF card though firewire 800 or if Im shooting a tournament where there are thousands of images I use a nexto portable in the field then transfer to PC via eSATA. I would have no need to upload directly to a website as I shoot RAW files that need to be processed.
    Canon CPS Gold Member
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    I finally picked up an X2 after eying them for awhile for my D300s. I have to say the concept is cool but the speed is horribly slow... even when camera is sitting next to router. It just doesn't seem to work well for large files and sometimes it doesn't work at all... even when camera is "awake" as it should be. At least on my system it doesn't work well. I know it's not my network speed that is the problem so I see some hardware returns in my near future. Maybe I'll try again when speed is brought up and transferring becomes more reliable. As of now, I am less than impressed with the Eye Fi cards.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    OK I read through everything and didnt see one important detail, well very important to me anyhow. :D
    Transfer speed. headscratch.gif
    I shoot a lot of sports with a Canon MKIV and found the Canon wireless file transmitter to be far too slow so Im thinking this will probably yeild even worse speed results?
    For me its all about speed. Current transfer is done with UDMA CF card though firewire 800 or if Im shooting a tournament where there are thousands of images I use a nexto portable in the field then transfer to PC via eSATA. I would have no need to upload directly to a website as I shoot RAW files that need to be processed.

Completely agree. All wireless solutions for cameras so far are way too slow for uploading after coming in from a shoot after traveling or even just going outside for a bit. Eyefi is only good for shooting in real-time with a computer in range, not dumping to your HDD after a long shoot out and about.

The fact Canon approved of a wireless transmitter that only uploads at ~1.5MB for $700 makes me angry too. For $700 that is absolutely absurd. Get a new computer instead and buy photoshop standalone with it for that price! rolleyes1.gif

I download compact flash at 70-90MB/sec with an expresscard slot reader that was just $35. Granted the card was $150 but still, SD cards download at 20-30MB/sec too.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2011
    Oh... for anyone looking to find one of the Delock adapters, they're sold all over Europe:

http://www.delock.com/kaufen/onlineshop.html?id=Deutschland

I'm sure someone or most would ship to the U.S. Worth it.
  • jamezjamez Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 12, 2011
    Use the Eye-Fi with CF cameras
    Updating an old post to give some new hope to those of us that are CF users.

I've documented how to reconfigure the B&H SD/CF Type II adapter into a Type I format.

We've found some users mentioning that the reconfigured adapter is not being picked up by some cameras (some Nikons). I've made a followup video describing how to mount it into a Type I chassis.

Let me know if you find success and if so what camera and card chassis you've used.

Tested and working:
    Nikon D3 Eye-Fi with the Type II chassis
    Nikon D3 Eye-Fi with the Type I chassis
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited October 13, 2011
    Nicely done, James. thumb.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • GSbikerGSbiker Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited October 13, 2011
    Excellent. Ordering now. Will post results with a Nikon D300 and Canon XT
    edited October 17, 2011
    The adapters came in today. Works great in the D300. JPG and Raw.
    edited October 17, 2011
    GSbiker wrote: »
    The adapters came in today. Works great in the D300. JPG and Raw.

Cool. Any insight on distance and speeds?

Do you still plan to test it on the Canon XT/350D?
    ziggy53
    edited October 17, 2011

Guys,

In general -- on distance and speeds:

The X2 cards can upload at max, at 12mbps. That's the best case scenario, with good range. You will get lower transfer speeds, as your range is reduced.

To maximize range -- you may find that setting the channel on your router to 1 or 11 is better than the default 6. If you're using Eye-Fi Direct, you have no way to set that, and we default to Channel 6 :-)

A good router may make a huge difference.

Thx --

Ziv.
    edited November 20, 2011

Works great with the XTi.
    edited November 20, 2011
    Here we go again......................Now if I understand the current info, the DigiGear Exstream adapter will work with the Eye-Fi card. I have a Canon 5D II so I won't need to worry about converting to type 1. I may want to remove the metal side plates to gain operational distance.

I have gone to the Eye-Fi website but can't understand how the wireless interface takes place between the Eye-Fi card and the laptop. (I have no interest in transferring images to a cell phone or iPad) The information says the card will only connect to the laptop if there are no other networks to connect to?

Also there is a requirement that I have a Computer with an internet connection. This requirement is in addition to A computer with the ability to connect to a WiFi network wirelessly.

I am looking for a method to directly transfer an image from the camera to the laptop wirelessy without any other hardware, intermediary equipment, or internect connection.

It should work on the moon.

Sam
    edited November 21, 2011
    Sam,

The fact that you couldn't figure it out from our site, is a massive fail, IMO, on our part. Have you tried looking at our brand spanking new support site?

OK, here goes:
    • You can use ad-hoc mode with the Eye-Fi Pro X2
    • you can use Direct mode, with any card, even the low-cost Connect X2

If you want to use ad-hoc -- you need to create the network on your computer, and the Pro X2 will connect to it.
    If you want to use Direct mode, the card will start the Wi-Fi network, and you'll connect, from your laptop, on the moon, to the card's Wi-Fi. It'll be a secured WPA2 hotspot.

CF adapters are UNSUPPORTED and I'm seeing more reports that people with 5DmkII's and 7D's are seeing ERR 02 with their cameras. Maybe the latest 5DmkII firmware will fix that, but the adapter is NOT OUR PRODUCT, and thus using any CF adapter is unsupported.

Here are some links:

http://www.eye.fi/how-it-works/features/direct-mode
    http://support.eye.fi/cards/networks/ad-hoc-networks-pro-cards-only/eye-fi-card-support-ad-hoc-wi-fi/
    http://support.eye.fi/features/direct/direct-mode-faq/
    http://support.eye.fi/features/direct/enable-direct-mode-to-computer/

Thx --

Ziv.
    edited November 21, 2011
    Ziv,

Thanks for your civil reply. First I take at least partial if not a great deal or all of the blame for not comprehending the issues involved.

As you can see I would love to have this work, hence my revisiting this issue.

When I read your reply I just sit here laughing.

This is what I read.

OK, here goes:
    • You can use ^%%$^&%^ mode with the Eye-Fi Pro X2
    • you can use &^%^, with any card, even the low-cost &^&^
    If you want to use^%%$^&%^ you need to create the network on your computer (I have no idea how to create a network), and the Pro X2 will connect to it.
    If you want to use &^%^, the card will start the Wi-Fi network, and you'll connect, from your laptop, on the moon, to the card's Wi-Fi. It'll be a secured &^&%&^ hotspot.

Recent pots seem to indicate the Eye-FI will work with the Canon 5D II, so really do appreciate your honest report of problems with this combination.

Perhaps next year. :D

Sam
    edited November 21, 2011
    Sam,

I couldn't understand your reply, because the Eye-Fi stuff was broken up. Here is what I see:
    When I read your reply I just sit here laughing.

Why?

• You can use ^%%$^&%^ mode with the Eye-Fi Pro X2
    • you can use &^%^, with any card, even the low-cost &^&^
    If you want to use^%%$^&%^ you need to create the network on your computer (I have no idea how to create a network), and the Pro X2 will connect to it.

You should look at the link I sent on ad-hoc, and you'll understand what I mean above.
    If you want to use &^%^, the card will start the Wi-Fi network, and you'll connect, from your laptop, on the moon, to the card's Wi-Fi. It'll be a secured &^&%&^ hotspot.

Again, I'm not sure why the Eye-Fi Direct portion was jumbled up...
    Recent pots seem to indicate the Eye-FI will work with the Canon 5D II, so really do appreciate your honest report of problems with this combination.
    Here is the most recent info on the UNSUPPORTED CF adapter for the 5DmkII:

http://forums.eye.fi/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1352&start=45#p14097
    Perhaps next year. :D

Nothing will be different with the topics I mentioned above, next year :-) We may improve the user experience, and we'll certainly do cool stuff and continue to do cool stuff, but as these topics pertain to you, what we have today, as solutions, we'll also have next year.

Thx --

Ziv.
    edited March 21, 2012
    EyeFi and the new Canon 5D MKIII appear to be playing nicely together:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4504431&postcount=11
    ziggy53
    edited March 21, 2012
    EyeFi and the new Canon 5D MKIII appear to be playing nicely together:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4504431&postcount=11

What did I tell you guys? That the world is moving to SD? No one listened to me :-)

Yes, the 5DmkIII is beautifully Eye-Fi Connected, and so is the new D800 & D800E. Also, all the SONY DSLR's, etc...

http://support.eye.fi/about-eye-fi-connected-cameras/

On the 5DmkIII, you can also see which images and videos have been uploaded, in Play mode, by looking for the Eye-Fi watermark, over the images... :-)
    edited April 2, 2012
    I'm reading reports that the new Sony SLT-A57 uses Eye-Fi cards with no problem.

http://tristanhall.co.za/2012/03/day-075-project-366-sony-alpha-slt-a57/
    ziggy53