Hand is stuck on my Photoshop...

Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
edited May 23, 2009 in Finishing School
The 'Hand' tool is stuck, I think...

I'm trying to doctor up some pics from vegas, but I can't do anything because that 'hand/grab' won't go away... Even if I select the pointer.. WTH is going on??

I've used photoshop on this computer before with no problem.. What happened? I tried getting a screenshot, but it won't show the pointer/hand...
Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com

Comments

• JustPlainMeJustPlainMe Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2009
    Bayer-Z28 wrote:
    The 'Hand' tool is stuck, I think...

I'm trying to doctor up some pics from vegas, but I can't do anything because that 'hand/grab' won't go away... Even if I select the pointer.. WTH is going on??

I've used photoshop on this computer before with no problem.. What happened? I tried getting a screenshot, but it won't show the pointer/hand...

I have no idea. I use Elements 6, but this happens to me all the time, at least twice a week, sometimes more. Restarting my computer is the only thing that seems to shake it out of its funk.
    Please ignore my opinions! And if I ask for constructive criticism, please give it to me. I have really thick skin! :huh
  • rhjfrhjf Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Are you possibly holding down the spacebar, perhaps even without your realizing it? The hand tool comes into action when you hold down the spacebar, which is a very handy (ahem) way of moving around an image when you’re zoomed-in. You might have a book or something leaning on the spacebar: in your frustration of closing and re-opening the application you then move the book (or whatever) such that it's no longer on the spacebar. I’ve certainly done that sort of thing.

(Beware of the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy! ‘I restarted the application, my problem went away, therefore the problem must have been solved by my restarting the application!’)

But sometimes I’ve found that Adobe software does just misbehave.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited May 23, 2009
    This is a commonly reported problem. Google is your friend: search on "Photoshop hand tool stuck" and you will see a number of things to try.
  • JustPlainMeJustPlainMe Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    This is a commonly reported problem. Google is your friend: search on "Photoshop hand tool stuck" and you will see a number of things to try.

Richard, I'm going to try these. I've posted this problem before on the PS section of the scrapbook forum, someone else asked if I was holding down the spacebar.

Rhjf, nothing is ever around my keyboard that might be resting on the spacebar, and I have a pen tablet in front of the keyboard, so there is extra space between my hands and the spacebar. I often don't touch the keyboard in the course of using PS.

We'll see!
    Please ignore my opinions! And if I ask for constructive criticism, please give it to me. I have really thick skin! :huh