Aeronca C-3

AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
edited January 3, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
The picture is of and Aeronca C-3 built in 1936. It is a pic from my archives and it was taken at and airshow.

445806447_zdcXq-L.jpg

THANKS FOR LOOKING ...... C&C ALWAYS WELCOME

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    This is an interesting old plane. I see one like it every year at the big " Sun N' Fun " airshow in Lakeland, FL. It always reminds me of a guppy minnow.

Happy new year.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    THANKS Tom for commenting........ azzaro
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    The picture is of and Aeronca C-3 built in 1936. It is a pic from my archives and it was taken at and airshow.

THANKS FOR LOOKING ...... C&C ALWAYS WELCOME

Hi there Azzaro, has that got a Wooden Prop???

I'm sure it had it's WOW factor in it's day,
    but I look at it and think....hmmmm I dunno that I'd want to go up in it :oogle

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited January 1, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there Azzaro, has that got a Wooden Prop???

I'm sure it had it's WOW factor in it's day,
    but I look at it and think....hmmmm I dunno that I'd want to go up in it :oogle

Thanks for sharing thumb.gif ... Skippy :D

That's a wood prop...The plane is in a museum now, I think. They were called the flying bathtub...... Thanks for commenting..... azzaro
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Interesting old plane nicely captured Azzarro. It almost looks like one of those little cartoon character planes that are usually painted blue with eyes and mouth on the front :D

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited January 1, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Interesting old plane nicely captured Azzarro. It almost looks like one of those little cartoon character planes that are usually painted blue with eyes and mouth on the front :D

Hi Jack....Thanks for the nice comment.....The pic. was taken at Oshkosh Wisconsin about 40 years ago. I like your idea for a painting schemerolleyes1.gif
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Lovely little airplane thumb.gif

This specific airplane is actually in flying condition again: http://www.goldenageair.org/collection/1936aeroncac3.htm
    edited January 1, 2009
    ivar wrote:
    Lovely little airplane thumb.gif

This specific airplane is actually in flying condition again: http://www.goldenageair.org/collection/1936aeroncac3.htm
    Thanks for the link and commenting IVAR. I went to the link....Still flying after 70 years .....
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    .hmmmm I dunno that I'd want to go up in it :oogle

I'm game if Skippy wants to stay on the ground :D

Funny looking aeroplane that, it was probably slower than the cars of it's time lol3.gif
    I wonder if the technology museum in Prague had something similar, I'll have to check my archive :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited January 1, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    I'm game if Skippy wants to stay on the ground :D

Funny looking aeroplane that, it was probably slower than the cars of it's time lol3.gif
    I wonder if the technology museum in Prague had something similar, I'll have to check my archive :D

Thanks for commenting pyry........According to the specs it had a speed of 65 MPH. As in air speed, not over the ground. If you find something similar, be sure to post it......... :D
    edited January 2, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Thanks for commenting pyry........According to the specs it had a speed of 65 MPH. As in air speed, not over the ground. If you find something similar, be sure to post it......... :D

65mph is pretty good for a bathtub.

Turns out the museum had a Blecha:
    447292489_kSTZA-M.jpg
    Creativity's hard.

edited January 2, 2009
    WHOW !!!!!!! Now there is a plane with character. :D Wouldn't that be a fun plane to fly....You would need a leather jacket, white silk scarf and goggles.....

THANKS FOR SHARING.....clap.gif
    edited January 2, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    WHOW !!!!!!! Now there is a plane with character. :D Wouldn't that be a fun plane to fly....You would need a leather jacket, white silk scarf and goggles.....

THANKS FOR SHARING.....clap.gif

Brave men in their fabric aeroplanes - that era had a look all it's own :D

Edit: Here's some additional WOW-factor for you: variants of the HM-14 Flying Flea, which is from the 1930s, are still built and flown today. So you can get your jacket, hat, goggles, scarf - and the matching aeroplane lol3.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Brave men in their fabric aeroplanes - that era had a look all it's own :D

Edit: Here's some additional WOW-factor for you: variants of the HM-14 Flying Flea, which is from the 1930s, are still built and flown today. So you can get your jacket, hat, goggles, scarf - and the matching aeroplane lol3.gif
    Fabric covered airplanes are actually not as uncommon as you might think. I've flown several different types of them.
    edited January 3, 2009
    ivar wrote:
    Fabric covered airplanes are actually not as uncommon as you might think. I've flown several different types of them.

I know, we helped to start one with a flat battery last summer.
    Creativity's hard.

edited January 3, 2009
    ivar wrote:

Me too.....mostly a J-3 Cub....didn't have a starter, you had to prop it. It was built in 1939 the same year I was.....:D
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    Hi Azzaro,

Man, this thread is hitting close to home. I learned to fly in an old Piper J-3 in 1962. That thing was a real trip in any kind of cross wind. Those were great times.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.